Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2024, 03:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Vermont
THOR #32557
2023 Resonate Cable TV Issues

Have a 2023 Resonate 29G. It is going to the dealer with a list of small items to be fixed while they set it up to flat tow a car. So, I figured I better check out the cable TV as I have not done that yet, and want to know if they work OK if I have to the dealer fix address any problems. So, I just hooked up the cable from our campsite to the coach. Cannot make it work on any of the three TV's. No reception at all. Am I doing something wrong? I see nothing in the coach except the Winegard on/off switch, and that makes no difference as far as the cable working. The connections are tight. Is there something I am overlooking? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 06-18-2024, 04:40 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlovinglife View Post
Have a 2023 Resonate 29G. It is going to the dealer with a list of small items to be fixed while they set it up to flat tow a car. So, I figured I better check out the cable TV as I have not done that yet, and want to know if they work OK if I have to the dealer fix address any problems. So, I just hooked up the cable from our campsite to the coach. Cannot make it work on any of the three TV's. No reception at all. Am I doing something wrong? I see nothing in the coach except the Winegard on/off switch, and that makes no difference as far as the cable working. The connections are tight. Is there something I am overlooking? Thanks in advance for any help!
Assuming you have a King Jack TV antenna, you must turn the antenna's power supply off for the cable to work. This is a picture of the King Jack antenna power supply plate. There is a green light indicating the power is on and a push button on the plat to turn the power off/on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	King jack Power Inserter plate.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	46518  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:02 PM   #3
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Assuming you have a King Jack TV antenna, you must turn the antenna's power supply off for the cable to work. This is a picture of the King Jack antenna power supply plate. There is a green light indicating the power is on and a push button on the plat to turn the power off/on.
If that isnít the problem then:

1. Verify with the campground that their cable supply is functionalÖif you havenít already.
2. Connect your cable directly to the back of your tv from campgrounds supply thereby bypassing all of the rvís cabling. That should isolate what the problem may be.
Old 06-18-2024, 07:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
When we bought our rig the cable would not work. The coax connection for cable and external satellite are on the panel in the wet bay. The cables were reversed during assembly.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:09 PM   #5

State: Vermont
THOR #32557
Figured it out. The tech guy from the campground came to verify the signal. It was ok. Then he asked if I wanted him to look at the TV’s themselves. Sure! There are 3 of them, all different. The antenna booster(Winegard), was shut off properly but still no joy. He could not find the cable input selection any better than I. But he’s a young guy, about 45 yrs. younger than me, and knows this digital stuff. So he played with the remotes and finally found a cable input selection and then it worked. The cable input was well hidden under an “advanced options” tab. Who knew !!?? Anyways, all is well. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-22-2024, 08:47 PM   #6

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I am using the Klein RF cable checker and all cables show GREEN now, a few ends came off when a slight tugging. Now, i connect the tester to the external plug and one of the colored caps to the TV, I have the switch panel light off, and i get an OPEN.

The Antenna works great and i get many stations, I installed a new Winegard switch yesterday.

Any suggestion?
Old 06-23-2024, 08:53 PM   #7

THOR #22342
Winegard Antenna Switch Fuse

While installing the new Antenna switch, I lost pwr to the switch panel. Easy enough, go to the DC Fuse panel and reset the #6 Fuse called Audio/Video. NOT. If you are looking for the Fuse for the Winegard Antenna Switch, it is located in the #7 position and called LP Detector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2024-06-23_16-49-42.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	46626   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-06-23_16-49-55.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	46627  

Name:	2024-06-23_16-50-03.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	46628  
Old 06-27-2024, 11:14 PM   #8

THOR #22342
I decided to do the job correctly and purchase the correct tools for the job.Klein cable crimper, connector ends, tester, and cable stripper. Very nice quality and swaged terminal end, cutter cuts cable exactly as you need it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2024-06-27_19-11-10.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	46692   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-06-27_19-11-28.jpg
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	46693  

Old 06-28-2024, 09:00 PM   #9

THOR #22342
The cables have new RF Compression F-connectors, the final link was getting a HDMI to RF adapter to generate a signal for the external receptacle. All setup and clean reception! That's complete, reverse Murphy's law, i will never have another issue with cables, and all these tools will sit for yrs.

If this RV changes hands, the next owner will have color coded connectors at each location, and wont have to search for the appropriate cable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2024-06-28_16-58-22.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	46702   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-06-28_17-02-05.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	46703  

Old 06-29-2024, 05:27 PM   #10

THOR #22342
So after a few months of trouble shooting, new parts from CW, Amazon deliveries, this problem is fixed. I believe the RV came out of production with these faults. (outside RF connector broken). That being said, there is a certain level of satisfaction for us DIY er's. We can ensure we use the best parts, quality control, and an overall feeling of the job is finally done right. The more i convince myself that i can DIY, and not roll the RV to the local CW, the better.
Old 06-29-2024, 08:10 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I started carrying a dedicated electrical repair tub in 1999 when we started using a carry-out DirecTV antenna. The tub is now a 15 qt size and weighs about 15 lbs. I end up using something in the tub every couple months when on the road. The last use was when a road gator tore-up the wiring to the dolly. Took a while sitting on the ground but wire strippers, solder, shrink tubing and a bit of wire and back on the road.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote