Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Can’t find GFCI outlet reset

Hi folks, I have a dilemma just pop up when we were readying to leave. I have 4 outlets not working which I have determined to all be on the GFCI circuit. All other outlets and electrical are working, just not these. The outlets are one in bath, one above sink in kitchen, one below seat in dinette and one outside mounted on the outside wall by the outside TV. None of these have the test or reset button. Outside TV is NOT on this circuit as it works. Does anyone know where the GFCI reset outlet would be. I have searched all in the basement and inside to no avail. I‘ve checked all breakers and throwing the GFCI does nothing so I know it’s that circuit. You would think a GFCI reset outlet would be in a prominent place!! I have a 2018 Challenger 37 YT.

This isn’t an emergency, just frustrating. If anyone can offer suggestions on what to do or where else to look, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 01-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #10354
It should be in the bathroom. Did you look very carefully at that switch-there are very different looking switches for resetting GFI. On homes now, some GFI reset switches are part of the circuit breakers in the AC panel. Check again and then call Thor.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I could only suggest looking outside in the bay on the ceiling where one might be mounted 'out of the way', and of course, sometimes unseen.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

THOR #10421
Yep, it’s just flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
It should be in the bathroom. Did you look very carefully at that switch-there are very different looking switches for resetting GFI. On homes now, some GFI reset switches are part of the circuit breakers in the AC panel. Check again and then call Thor.
All the outlets have a flat face and look alike except the one outside, it says GFCI protected but has none hav3 buttons on them. I have included pics. Sorry the one is upside down!

There has to be one I’m not finding but dang it, a GFCI shouldn’t be tucked away as it’s not uncommon for them to trip. I cheated and reset the GFCI breaker as i am familiar with the house ones in the breaker box but it’s just a normal breaker. Thanks for the help, eventually I’ll find it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65B2C741-D051-4A53-BBB1-98982969E421.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	8542   Click image for larger version

Name:	E2457467-41AC-41E5-BE96-15AAC1E308FB.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	8543  

Old 01-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #5

THOR #10354
Check for another outlet in the bathroom-up higher, maybe in a cabinet. I do not think they can mount the GFI receptacle at the floor level of an RV.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #6

THOR #10354
By the way, the trip and reset buttons are black unlike the normal house outlets.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #7

THOR #10421
I found it!

Quote:
By the way, the trip and reset buttons are black unlike the normal house outlets.
Okay, after exhaustive looking, I found the wayward GFCI reset outlet.... it was under the bathroom mirror cabinet, neatly hidden where you could barely see it. I’m a little embarrassed but I also have to admit, I haven’t known about it until today, never knew the BR had more than the one which is CLEARLY visible mounted to a cabinet wall!

Thanks for all the responses and ideas to help, you guys are a great and invaluable source of knowledge!
Old 02-04-2020, 01:00 AM   #8

State: Virginia
THOR #17987
This post saved the day

After spending 4 hours trying to find the ground fault I discovered this forum and read this. They were having the exact same issue. Thanks for the quick save. Who knew there was an outlet under the mirrors
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
Hi folks, I have a dilemma just pop up when we were readying to leave. I have 4 outlets not working which I have determined to all be on the GFCI circuit. All other outlets and electrical are working, just not these. The outlets are one in bath, one above sink in kitchen, one below seat in dinette and one outside mounted on the outside wall by the outside TV. None of these have the test or reset button. Outside TV is NOT on this circuit as it works. Does anyone know where the GFCI reset outlet would be. I have searched all in the basement and inside to no avail. I‘ve checked all breakers and throwing the GFCI does nothing so I know it’s that circuit. You would think a GFCI reset outlet would be in a prominent place!! I have a 2018 Challenger 37 YT.

This isn’t an emergency, just frustrating. If anyone can offer suggestions on what to do or where else to look, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 02-05-2020, 03:16 AM   #9

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Don’t feel bad. Before we had our RV we had a camper. Turns out the outdoor kitchen has a GFI, behind the outdoor fridge, that controlled the entire back section of the camper. OMG what a time we had finding that.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:43 AM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Check for another outlet in the bathroom-up higher, maybe in a cabinet. I do not think they can mount the GFI receptacle at the floor level of an RV.
There is nothing in the code about locating a GFI receptical at floor level.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:05 AM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Outside TV IS on a GFI
circuit. Any outlet within 6' of a water source is on a GFI circuit including any outlet in a storage area with ground level access. I'm sure you have a 2nd GFI outlet someplace within you MH.