Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2021, 12:56 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooch View Post
Thx Muggs and all for sharing in my pain!
We've agreed electrician owes me some free work. Not doin the 100amp...already had him do the 120 outlet and its my stepdaughters house so 100amp plus an extra 120 outlet would be overkill.
I think the WF8955 converter is done...it is receiving power but not workin...i have a call into WFCO to see if it can be saved with a part like Muggs did.
Seems like the ATS is working...i hear it kick in after connecting power and everything in RV works except the fried microwave and tv.
Gonna wait til get home and take my time ordering/installing new converter. (or parts depending on what WFCO tech advises).
Figure the alternator will charge house batteries while on the road for 3 days so safe to get home.
The Progessive Dynamics conerters that others have bought won't fit in my 2015 Axis 24.1. So stuck just buyin another WF8955 if can't replace parts.
You all are great and i truly appreciate the responses! Felt like i was not alone in dealing with this mess that i don't know much about.
You just need to buy a new converter and not the whole power center. I replaced my WFCO 8955 power center with a PPS 5365 when I converted the coach to 50 amps. Most PPS converters are about the same size a the equivalent WFCO. Never had a problem in 4 years.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:17 AM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
What Beau said. The upgrade converter fits in the same spot as the OEM converter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 27R
State: New Mexico
THOR #23009
The "electrician" is going to pay to fix it, right?
Old 09-22-2021, 09:10 PM   #24

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I hear about how this can happen all the time, but never heard of it actually happening to anyone until now. I think it ironic that you used an Electrician. I wired mine myself despite the advice to hire an Electrician. You might as well put on a 50/30/20 pedestal given you have two legs of 120 vac anyway.

Have you checked voltage on back side of ATS or started your generator to confirm power and no converter. I know you looking for breakers, but you may also post your converter model number, I am pretty sure it will lay out if any safety precautions built in for high voltage.
Happened to my son, too, a few years ago. Electrician repaired hookup but not damage done to trailer stuff. It was an ordeal to track down and fix everything.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:12 PM   #25

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRV View Post
The "electrician" is going to pay to fix it, right?
The electrician will likely rewire the plug but unless you have a written contract specifying 120v you won’t get help on RV repairs. Your responsibility to check before plugging in.

This applies at campgrounds too.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:39 AM   #26

Model: Axis 24.1 - Ford E-350
THOR #14429
Update on fried converter

Thx again to all who helped out. I ended up finding an identical replacement WF converter on Amazon for $175. (Th PD upgrades didn't appear to fit in my WF cabinet and it was easier to buy the same unit for ease of rewiring.) Electrician paid for the converter, installed it and gave me extra $ to cover some of other blown items. Am eating the rest since i did not plug in my EMS first so shame on me. Overall i got off easy...just a microwave and couple tv's (that i know of so far). Just did 600 miles and no other issues popped up so hoping problem is solved.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:15 AM   #27

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
In the bottom picture of post #20 is the converter. If you look in the bottom RH side, there are the two B/W wires coming in (AC), then is a filter capacitor (Grn rectangle shape) and then a ceramic fuse, labelled 15A/250V (I think)... did you check that at all?
Old 09-23-2021, 01:26 AM   #28

Model: Axis 24.1 - Ford E-350
THOR #14429
Thx OldWebb. I never noticed that fuse! My new converter is already installed, but i kept the old one. Will get around to checking out those items to see if i can salvage the old one as a backup
Toad: 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Blue Ox Alpha
Cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:28 AM   #29

THOR #16471
In the other picture, I notice you also have that wire nut "extension" to the GFCI breaker. I had that in my MH and removed it. Here is why...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...box-26804.html
Old 09-23-2021, 01:30 AM   #30

THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooch View Post
Thx OldWebb. I never noticed that fuse! My new converter is already installed, but i kept the old one. Will get around to checking out those items to see if i can salvage the old one as a backup
It looks looks like the fuse is soldered in, trickier to replace but doable.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Your capacitor setup different than board came out of mine. The capacitor that popped was in opposite plane and easily twice size of black ones. Amazing how much confetti looking stuff came out. New board looked different. Fuse would not have helped me with blown capacitor.