Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2021, 12:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 - Ford E-350
State: Florida
THOR #14429
240 volts fried my converter?

I'm a novice at electricity. Had an electrician put in a 30amp outlet at the house. He didn't know and fed 240 volts to that outlet. I plugged in (and forgot to first plug in my EMS).
No power to RV. I then remembered to plug in my EMS which told me about the over limit voltage at 240v. I disconnected from that outlet but it was too late...damage was done.
The 15amp breaker on the RV panel that is for the Converter was tripped. I reset but still no power.
Checked all fuses in the RV panel...all good.
Checked the breaker near batteries...not tripped. I manually tripped and reset it anyways.
Still no power.
Did i just fry my converter when i plugged into 240 volts?

Old 09-15-2021, 01:07 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My 24.1 has
TWO
of those flag type breakers near the batteries.
Mine are mounted so the one I can see
HIDES
the other.

Look again near the batteries.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:10 AM   #3

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
More than likely yes.
Then check the convection oven, it may be gone too.
And definitely the (off gas) on shore power refrigerator heater.

Ask me how I know...
Old 09-15-2021, 01:37 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Ouch!!

An electrician upgraded a house we used to own to 200amp service. It was old wiring, and the neutrals weren't bright white.
His helper accidentally wired several neutrals to breakers instead of the neutral bus.

We got a nice surprise when we turned on a bedroom light and it burned like a supernova for about 10 seconds. We lost a microwave, two TVs and a couple clock radios to 240volts... of course he paid for them... no further harm.

DON'T take chances with da juice!!
Old 09-15-2021, 01:39 AM   #5

THOR #14429
Thx. I only see one near batt's. But you remind me that i have another bank of fuses, breakers under captain's chair that will check.
Toad: 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Blue Ox Alpha
Cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:44 AM   #6

THOR #16721
If he is a certified electrician he should be bonded and insured... which means he should make things right and cover damages.

Now a "friend helping a friend" ??
Old 09-15-2021, 01:54 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooch View Post
I'm a novice at electricity. Had an electrician put in a 30amp outlet at the house. He didn't know and fed 240 volts to that outlet. I plugged in (and forgot to first plug in my EMS).
No power to RV. I then remembered to plug in my EMS which told me about the over limit voltage at 240v. I disconnected from that outlet but it was too late...damage was done.
The 15amp breaker on the RV panel that is for the Converter was tripped. I reset but still no power.
Checked the breaker near batteries...not tripped. I manually tripped and reset it anyways.
Still no power.
I hear about how this can happen all the time, but never heard of it actually happening to anyone until now. I think it ironic that you used an Electrician. I wired mine myself despite the advice to hire an Electrician. You might as well put on a 50/30/20 pedestal given you have two legs of 120 vac anyway.

Have you checked voltage on back side of ATS or started your generator to confirm power and no converter. I know you looking for breakers, but you may also post your converter model number, I am pretty sure it will lay out if any safety precautions built in for high voltage.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:57 AM   #8

THOR #14429
Thx Chateau. He is comin back tmrw to rewire the pedestal...will discuss insurance with him
Toad: 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Blue Ox Alpha
Cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:13 AM   #9

THOR #16721
I agree with what dk suggested. You already have two 120volt legs to the pedestal. May as well put in a combo box with 50, 30 and 20amp outlets.

Your electrician was probably thinking "dryer outlet" ?? Unless you're familiar with RV electrical, it can be a strange animal. Well, he learned something today!!
Old 09-15-2021, 02:33 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thx Chateau. He is comin back tmrw to rewire the pedestal...will discuss insurance with him
I love to take a negative situations and turn it into a positive.

Tell the Electrician since he wired with two legs of 120vac, work with him to split the cost on this or a similar one. Given the damage; he may feel better to do something that will make you happy with the situation?

I love mine and I use the 50, 30 and 20 breakers all the time. Oddly there are times like now, when I am plugged in but all of the breaker switches are off. I periodically like to go a couple of weeks with no shore power just to make sure my batteries stay fully charged

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Po...N4NS/204736873

You prolly saying I have 30 amp coach, but you never know what the future may hold. I have 50 amp coach, but I have dog bones for 15/20amp; 30amp and 50 amp connections
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-15-2021, 02:35 AM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Still no power.
We had a thread start exactly like this a couple of years ago.
"An electrician" and "didn't know" don't go together. You pay them to be a professional and accomplish the job properly. As others have said, if he is an electrician he should be licensed and insured. His insurance should cover correcting the electrical wiring to make it right and to repair everything in your RV that was damaged due to his mistake. Check everything that is supposed to be powered by 120 VAC. This includes TVs, microwaves, anything that was left plugged in like computer equipment - everything! So many device now-a-days are really connected to power even if they are "turned off". Also verify the ATS works as required.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:06 AM   #12

THOR #16721
A side note about that insurance. The guy responsible for my fiasco chose NOT to use his insurance... you know those nasty rate hikes

So I worked with him... he paid cash for the damage and also gave me a discount. I know his work habits... after all it was his helper that screwed up.

That was many years ago, but I wouldn't have hesitated to use his services again, and would have recommended him.

Everyone makes mistakes... if no one died, it's all fixable.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #13

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Very timely post. THANK YOU!!!!!

I have a welder circuit I am planning to use.
The plan to add 50 and 30 amp service is brilliant to future proof the hook up.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Very timely post. THANK YOU!!!!!

I have a welder circuit I am planning to use.
The plan to add 50 and 30 amp service is brilliant to future proof the hook up.
Several posts here about how to properly wire a welder type recept with the correct RV 50A or 30A recept.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:07 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I plugged into RV plug wired like a dryer once. It blew a capacitor on converter power supply. Everything else was fine. I flipped breaker at panel when a/c sounded strange on start up.

Had a puff of smoke by converter/breaker panel when I went inside. I looked for source of smoke and found popped capacitor. Open converter breaker after correcting wiring to plug. Outside electrician had wired 2 hots and a neutral. I used wire for neutral and added a ground and everything was fine. Talked to converter tech support to verify findings and had new board drop shipped to place staying. Installed and good to go, that was summer of 2017.

No colateral damage to anything else.

Hope you have no to same issue. Power supply board was under $150 and total including troubleshooting was maybe a hour. Stayed there a week and then went into Blue Ridge for another week. Just took oem RV batteries out and put new. Old one will get used in boat.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #16

THOR #14429
Replacing converter, checking ATS

Thank you all for your help. Sittin here in Atlanta tryin to figure this out. Electrician is a good guy and helping me resolve. Seems like i fried the WF-8955PEC converter. Also lost 2 tv's and microwave but everything else seems to work. Can someone tell me what the "ATS" is so i can ck that too.
I can hear a click behind the converter when i hook up shore power. Usually right after that the converter boots up...no boot up. Pulled cover and inverter out. No evidence of burns, etc. Guessing its just fried inside. I read somewhere about a preferred converter to replace with...if anyone remembers that pls let me know as i will be ordering today. Thx all
Old 09-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thank you all for your help. Sittin here in Atlanta tryin to figure this out. Electrician is a good guy and helping me resolve. Seems like i fried the WF-8955PEC converter. Also lost 2 tv's and microwave but everything else seems to work. Can someone tell me what the "ATS" is so i can ck that too.
I can hear a click behind the converter when i hook up shore power. Usually right after that the converter boots up...no boot up. Pulled cover and inverter out. No evidence of burns, etc. Guessing its just fried inside. I read somewhere about a preferred converter to replace with...if anyone remembers that pls let me know as i will be ordering today. Thx all
ATS Automatic Transfer Switch, look in electrical compartment were power comes into coach. A large looking black box that looks intimidating on inside but easy peaseey.

I am a SOB ( a good one at that but I have this converter

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D...a-492810125988

It is good upgrade IMO anyway. I replaced a TV that was under warranty with a new Samsung I bought. I did not want another of the OEM TV (Insignia).

Do you think you will get the 100 amp pedestal now? It is one of those now or never kind of decisions, you got more than two feet already in, go for it
Old 09-15-2021, 06:15 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I plugged into RV plug wired like a dryer once. It blew a capacitor on converter power supply. Everything else was fine. I flipped breaker at panel when a/c sounded strange on start up.

Had a puff of smoke by converter/breaker panel when I went inside. I looked for source of smoke and found popped capacitor. Open converter breaker after correcting wiring to plug. Outside electrician had wired 2 hots and a neutral. I used wire for neutral and added a ground and everything was fine. Talked to converter tech support to verify findings and had new board drop shipped to place staying. Installed and good to go, that was summer of 2017.

No colateral damage to anything else.

Hope you have no to same issue. Power supply board was under $150 and total including troubleshooting was maybe a hour. Stayed there a week and then went into Blue Ridge for another week. Just took oem RV batteries out and put new. Old one will get used in boat.
We all have been there... but it kind of spooks you a tad when it happens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shorted wire.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	33647  
Old 09-15-2021, 11:34 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
If I had not been near breaker when A/C kicked on it may have been worse. The smoke not substantial. No fire. Capacitor on board the popped was like old party popper shot confetti looking stuff. Power supply fan was still working. Since we had shore power, left coach batteries on tender. Not even a delay on vacation as we were there a week before moving. By Tuesday afternoon was back in shape.

The oem converter seemed fine with new board. Oem batteries just replaced cause boat can use them. They still met RV needs.

We were fortunate and are resilient. I been able to do my own repairs on almost everything we have including racecar. Keeps cost reasonable and enhances understanding.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:26 AM   #20

THOR #14429
Update on fried converter

Thx Muggs and all for sharing in my pain!
We've agreed electrician owes me some free work. Not doin the 100amp...already had him do the 120 outlet and its my stepdaughters house so 100amp plus an extra 120 outlet would be overkill.
I think the WF8955 converter is done...it is receiving power but not workin...i have a call into WFCO to see if it can be saved with a part like Muggs did.
Seems like the ATS is working...i hear it kick in after connecting power and everything in RV works except the fried microwave and tv.
Gonna wait til get home and take my time ordering/installing new converter. (or parts depending on what WFCO tech advises).
Figure the alternator will charge house batteries while on the road for 3 days so safe to get home.
The Progessive Dynamics conerters that others have bought won't fit in my 2015 Axis 24.1. So stuck just buyin another WF8955 if can't replace parts.
You all are great and i truly appreciate the responses! Felt like i was not alone in dealing with this mess that i don't know much about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210915_153649.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	33661   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210915_153704.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	33662