Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11393
29FE...the latest in leaks!

Seems everything leaks on this (2018) monster. Most recently (since last year) we've been getting water infiltration in the outdoor kitchen. It is definitely coming from above as the "ceiling" over the refrigerator is getting saturated and it's dripping down into the compartment. The fresh water tank right above it has been empty for the entirety of last season so it's not that. I have it at a service center now. He already sealed the frame around the outside kitchen and it's still leaking. Any particular place on the roof that might be a typical issue on this model? (We replaced the missing cap from my previous inquiry but it didn't resolve the issue.)

As always, thanks for your kind and most appreciated advice. I am looking forward to getting this monster sealed up tight so my posts can be more of the "wonderful experience" type and not the "please help" scenarios I have been stuck in for going on four camping seasons.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
I have the same model. Check your tail lights. Typical they leak and start to rot the wood on the inside of the compartment. Pull one off and see if it is wet behind it. Seal it with a good sealer (not silicone). The cheep rubber gaskets supplied with the tail lights leak.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #3

THOR #11393
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
I have the same model. Check your tail lights. Typical they leak and start to rot the wood on the inside of the compartment. Pull one off and see if it is wet behind it. Seal it with a good sealer (not silicone). The cheep rubber gaskets supplied with the tail lights leak.

Hmmm. Currently it is in the shop and I will let the tech know of that possibility. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #4

THOR #11393
We've resolved our issues with some modifications. First, we had the outdoor sink removed and a new counter top installed. All the associated plumbing was capped off. Still we had water infiltrating the enclosure and it was apparent it was from above. Turns out the top of the outside kitchen door was letting water in whenever it rained. I don't know if it was the hinge, the seal, the frame...but I do know that silicone caulk didn't seal it. The resolution by my new favorite RV serviceman (Wayne of Abe's RV Service in Delaware) was to fashion a flange and mount it over the hinge so that water is diverted over and around the door. It has been dry inside now for many weeks and - as long as I don't leave the door open while it's actively raining - I don't anticipate any additional issues. Thanks, Wayne!

Tags
29fe, leaking, outdoor kitchen