Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2023, 09:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #6598
3/4 Amber Clearance Light Replacement

I have a 2018 Class C PD31 Quantum. My question, is the only way to replace a little round 3/4 Amber Clearance Light on the front roof top by snipping the old wires and rewiring the new bulb that has the grommet attached to new bulb?

Old 04-25-2023, 11:31 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
That's the way it was on my Hurricane. The clear lights around the facia had connectors but not the clearance lights. I guess the connectors are further back than the slack allows.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:29 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
What’s wrong with them?
Old 04-26-2023, 01:47 AM   #4

THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
What’s wrong with them?
I have one bulb on the passengers side that is burnt out. The one on the driver's side is working.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:29 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo
State: Maryland
THOR #5044
I also have a LED clearance light out in the top front of my Palazzo. Does the cover pop out?
Is there a video. Only want to be on the forklift long enough to change the bulb.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:38 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #11769
Front amber 3/4 inch clearance lights (LED)

A couple weeks ago I replaced a couple of those front clearance lights on our 2018 Thor Vegas.

The nonfunctional lights quickly and easily popped out using plastic automotive trim removal tools. I carefully pulled the wires out, and they are had bullet connectors to the wiring harness. There was probably 4” to 6” of slack.

Rather than taking the time to crimp or solder new bullet connectors to the new bulbs’ wires, I just clipped the old bulbs’ wires near the bulb, and used WAGO connectors on the new bulbs, retaining the old bullet connectors on the circuit. I did clean the old bullet connectors with DeoxIT contact cleaner spray.

I wonder, though: why are these LED clearance lights failing after 4 or 5 years?
Old 05-26-2023, 11:44 PM   #7

THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey & Tana Jackson View Post
A couple weeks ago I replaced a couple of those front clearance lights on our 2018 Thor Vegas.

The nonfunctional lights quickly and easily popped out using plastic automotive trim removal tools. I carefully pulled the wires out, and they are had bullet connectors to the wiring harness. There was probably 4” to 6” of slack.

Rather than taking the time to crimp or solder new bullet connectors to the new bulbs’ wires, I just clipped the old bulbs’ wires near the bulb, and used WAGO connectors on the new bulbs, retaining the old bullet connectors on the circuit. I did clean the old bullet connectors with DeoxIT contact cleaner spray.

I wonder, though: why are these LED clearance lights failing after 4 or 5 years?
I did the same mine were the round amber marker lites, i just sniped the wires and use electical tape to connect the new wires to the old wires. That worked jus fine.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:51 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 5K
State: Louisiana
THOR #28165
Wago in-line are the right choice.
Old 05-27-2023, 12:03 AM   #9

THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo888 View Post
Wago in-line are the right choice.
Don't know what Wago in-line is?
Old 05-27-2023, 01:32 AM   #10

THOR #6598
I google it and use them in the future
Old 05-29-2023, 01:00 AM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Washington
THOR #23201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey & Tana Jackson View Post

I wondered that same thing while I was replacing two on my 2018. LED’s are supposed to last 10000 hours.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:11 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Our clearance lights are little round assemblies set into a sunken preformed hole in the cap. They turned out to be a cause of water intrusion. The rubber grommets were hard and didn’t seal properly allowing water to enter and run down the wiring dripping on the floor under the steering wheel. The unit was completed in 3/2019. I bought it in early 6/2019. I glopped em with Geocell. No leak. I have no idea if they’re burning as I don’t drive at night. Maybe I’ll turn em on and check tonite.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:09 PM   #13

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Unfortunatly it sounds like cheap LED's