Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2020, 12:56 AM   #21

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBarba View Post
I am still tripping my 30amp Breaker. I filled the water tanks Switched main power to on, before plugging in to my power. Started the Motorhome, Tried to start my Generator nothing. Tried some of the 12Volt lights nothing. My Wall unit diagnostics center. Where do I go next ? I'm not qualified enough to remove my hot water tank to change the element.
Slow down and take a deep breath. Turn off all the breakers in your 120 volt breaker panel. Now go out and plug in your RV. Come back inside and turn on your 30 amp main breaker. Now turn on the 15 amp breaker labeled Converter. You should know have 12 volt lighting!. If not turn on the battery disconnect sw.

You do not have to remove the WH to change the element. It is on the back side of the heater. Inside the rig. Turn off the power to the element. Remove the wires from the element. use an ohm meter and see if you have continuity thru the element. Hook the wire back up if you have about 10 ohms (as I remember) it's good.

Next turn on the WH breaker IF it has water in it. Next turn on the 20 amp A/C breaker and A/C. Now you should have 3 things working. If not the problem should not be hard to find. If you do have the 3 working, slowly turn on the others 1 at a time until something goes POP! All other 12 volt should be working.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:35 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Slow down and take a deep breath...
I, for one, are glad you found this forum. When you have time, I'd like to ask you a question - theoretical - and still a question.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:48 AM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
30 AMP keeps Tripping

Good luck. Here things can indeed be frustrating
Old 06-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: South America
THOR #19174
Thank You I will try this out. I put a charger on the batteries, no luck I think my Batteries are fried also. I will now go look for a Load Tester. Your right this is frustrating...

Can i get to the element from the outside of the motorhome since it is on the back side. I was told it is attached to the tank?