Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17763
30 Amp plugged into 50 Amp

I was told that with an adapter I can plug my 30 amp cord into 50 amp outlet. My last trip, outlet at rv park tripped like 4 times. So they told me to buy an adapter like that it will not trip.

My question is: by doing this will it mess up anything in my RV? Can I put electricity in 50 amp outlet with an adapter?

Old 09-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Nope: With a 50 to 30 dogbone: you're good to go!
Old 09-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Yes, with a 50/30 dog bone you can plug your 30 amp cord into a 50 amp outlet BUT you will only be able to use 30 amps becouse you have a 30 amp breaker in your RV. FYI, 50 amps is 240 volts. 30 amps is 120 volts. The dog bone only gives you 120 volts.

Your RV breaker is still gonna trip. You must learn energy managment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Don't Blow Your Breaker007.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	26016
Old 09-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #4

THOR #17763
How about an adapter that I can put on surge protector. The surge protector is pretty long. So wondering of something like pic attached will work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200908-143145_Chrome.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	26017  
Old 09-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #5

THOR #17763
Great info. Thanks for tje flyer.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #6

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimenez61 View Post
How about an adapter that I can put on surge protector. The surge protector is pretty long. So wondering of something like pic attached will work.
Stay away from those hocky puck type adaptors. They create too much heat. That's why dog bones are 2' long. They don't make heat.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:46 AM   #7

State: Idaho
THOR #20478
Good job you guys.

The 'dogbone' has a 4 prong end on it, going to a 3 prong end. All it does is 'drops a leg' so you are running off of a single 50A wire, instead of the 30A wire. Most camper panels are setup as 120 volt only across the board, regardless of Amperage. I would still haul around a generator to show you are a committed camp hauler ����
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200909-215921_Chrome.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	26053  
Old 09-11-2020, 05:24 AM   #8

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanitorsRock View Post
Good job you guys.

The 'dogbone' has a 4 prong end on it, going to a 3 prong end. All it does is 'drops a leg' so you are running off of a single 50A wire, instead of the 30A wire. Most camper panels are setup as 120 volt only across the board, regardless of Amperage. I would still haul around a generator to show you are a committed camp hauler ����
50 amps is 240 volts to the RV main breaker. 30 amps is 120 volts to the Rv main breaker. ALL RV's. MH's TT's, 5th wheels, Pop up's. All Rv's
Old 09-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
It is always a good idea to buy a "Dog bone" adapter if your motor home uses a 30 amp plug. Some campgrounds I have run across were only 50 amp service and my motor home is a 30 amp unit. The dog bone adapter works every time and reduces the risk of heating up while supplying the 30 amp service to my motor home. At one campground they even offered to rent me a dog bone for $4.00 per night if I didn't have one.

Paul
Old 09-11-2020, 02:20 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
50 amps is 240 volts to the RV main breaker. 30 amps is 120 volts to the Rv main breaker. ALL RV's. MH's TT's, 5th wheels, Pop up's. All Rv's

But I think JanitorsRock (cool name!) is right. The input is 240V across the two 120V hot legs but the RV systems all are 120V and use the two legs independently. Your house is wired the same way except for the few 240V circuits that span both legs like an electric dryer or range.

I have added an entire secondary electrical service to my coach. It’s 20A with its own inlet, breaker and wiring. It serves my second AC and a single dedicated outlet in my living room which I use for a space heater (and used to use for a portable AC). Currently I just plug it into the pedestals 20A outlet with a 12ga extension cord. But lately I’ve been wondering if I could replace my coaches 30A power cord with a 50A cord and split the two legs before it goes into the ATS with one leg going there and the other to my 20A breaker box mounted right next to it. It’d be a more convenient set up but I’m not sure of the neutral and ground wiring or if it’s safe and “legal”. And I’ve not been motivated enough yet to discuss it with an electrician. Anybody here have any advice?
Old 09-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Illinois
THOR #20269
A 50amp Dogbone is a must have for 30amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanitorsRock View Post
Good job you guys.

We're first time RV'rs. When researching what to get and how to outfit our rig, one of the 'must-haves' was a 50-30amp dogbone. I picked one up. So far this summer, we've stayed at three different sites where the 30amp plug had problems. in one case, our power management system indicated the plug was reverse polarity, the other two had bad 30amp breakers that would not stay engaged. Really glad I have this.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #12

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
But I think JanitorsRock (cool name!) is right. The input is 240V across the two 120V hot legs but the RV systems all are 120V and use the two legs independently. Your house is wired the same way except for the few 240V circuits that span both legs like an electric dryer or range.

I have added an entire secondary electrical service to my coach. It’s 20A with its own inlet, breaker and wiring. It serves my second AC and a single dedicated outlet in my living room which I use for a space heater (and used to use for a portable AC). Currently I just plug it into the pedestals 20A outlet with a 12ga extension cord. But lately I’ve been wondering if I could replace my coaches 30A power cord with a 50A cord and split the two legs before it goes into the ATS with one leg going there and the other to my 20A breaker box mounted right next to it. It’d be a more convenient set up but I’m not sure of the neutral and ground wiring or if it’s safe and “legal”. And I’ve not been motivated enough yet to discuss it with an electrician. Anybody here have any advice?
To install a 50 amp cord you must change out the compleate panel cord and main breaker to 50 amp 240 volts. Then you can install a sigle pole breaker to feed a seperate inverter panel.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #13

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
To install a 50 amp cord you must change out the compleate(sic) panel cord and main breaker to 50 amp 240 volts. Then you can install a sigle(sic) pole breaker to feed a seperate(sic) inverter panel.
"must"? Where is that written? By using a dogbone, a person is already breaking code rules, where you cannot have a breaker larger than the current a wire can accept. Or even the other way, using a 15 or 20 amp adapter to supply the 50 amp cord... technically not right, but it is done.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #14

THOR #17763
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:12 PM   #15

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
"must"? Where is that written? By using a dogbone, a person is already breaking code rules, where you cannot have a breaker larger than the current a wire can accept. Or even the other way, using a 15 or 20 amp adapter to supply the 50 amp cord... technically not right, but it is done.
National Electric Code ART 551.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:04 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
It is always a good idea to buy a "Dog bone" adapter if your motor home uses a 30 amp plug. Some campgrounds I have run across were only 50 amp service and my motor home is a 30 amp unit. The dog bone adapter works every time and reduces the risk of heating up while supplying the 30 amp service to my motor home. At one campground they even offered to rent me a dog bone for $4.00 per night if I didn't have one.

Paul
Paul, did you actually see a 50-Amp-only pedestal, or were you going by what they advertised? I’m curious because I’ve used 30A service for over 20 years and have yet to stay at a site that only had 50A but no 30A right next to it.

Just wonder how common these 50-Amp “only” sites have become. Many times campgrounds advertise “50A” service as a feature, but that doesn’t exclude also having a 30A service at same pedestal.

I’m aware some campers prefer to plug their 30-Amp rig to a 50-Amp service to minimize chance of tripping a weak 30A breaker, but that’s a different need for a dogbone adapter.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:36 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I have encountered 1 campground that only had a 50 amp connector. That was about 15 years ago and we did not have an adapter to plug in our 30 amp trailer. Luckily the office loaned us one.

Just recently I was researching campgrounds and came across one that specifically said "50 amp connection only" but I don't remember which campground that was. I think it was an Encore park in Florida.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
To install a 50 amp cord you must change out the compleate panel cord and main breaker to 50 amp 240 volts. Then you can install a sigle pole breaker to feed a seperate inverter panel.

I was afraid that might be the case. I’ll just keep my 20A circuit separate. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #19

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I was afraid that might be the case. I’ll just keep my 20A circuit separate. Thanks.
That's what I do with mine. I installed an oulet box under the dinette table in the slide. Drilled hole in the floor. Ran a wire out with a plug on the end. extension cord from there to the 20 amp outlet on the ped.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:24 PM   #20

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I was in Tennessee last year at a private campground that only had a 50 amp plug in the pedestal. The front desk told me upon check in that they only have 50 amp and no 30 amp service. It has only happened one time to me.

Paul