Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #21820
30 amp power issue

We have a 2018 Thor freedom Elite 30'. All was well getting ready to head out on a short shake out trip locally. Had been plugged into shore power the night before and ac run and all was fine. Departure day went out to retract slides and get ready to roll and there was no power. Power to rv was fine but no power inside. Generator was started and ran fine. i looked for a main breaker like we had on our Thor Ace. All fuses and breakers in coach were checked. Looked everywhere for a reset. Downloaded electric schematics and can not figure out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220301_154806606.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	37491  

Old 05-14-2022, 08:14 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Is the "Use / Store" switch in the use position? It's not Store is it?
My switch on my FE is near the door to the left of the step.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:45 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #21820
It is usually in the off(store?) position. When I plug in it automatically lights up the red light, Not doing that now.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:00 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolsen67 View Post
It is usually in the off(store?) position. When I plug in it automatically lights up the red light, Not doing that now.
Shouldn't it be in the On position (Use)?

Saying no power to the RV at the same time as saying the generator work fine kind of confuses me.

Are you saying if Use/Store switch is in Use and Generator is on, everything works and then if you have Use / Store Switch to OFF - Store? and you have shore power you get no at all or no 12vdc power?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:11 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
The use/store switch has to be in the “use” position with the red light on for your convertor and 12 volt lights to work. Unplug from shore power and keep the generator off. Toggle the switch to “Use” and the red light by switch should turn on. If it does not, your house batteries are discharged and will need to be charged. You should hear a thunk sound if your batteries are charged. The solenoid for this switch is by your fuse panel. Mine is under the bed. When you are done using power and are not plugged in,or generator running, turn the switch to “Store”. The red light should go out and you should hear the solenoid go thunk. Before you run the generator or hook up to shore power, you should turn the switch to “ Use” before anything else. If you toggle this switch with shore power plugged in or generator running, the solenoid will get out of sequence. I found this out by mistake early on with mine.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolsen67 View Post
So nothing works in the RV now and you're still plugged into SP?

All that red light does is tell you there is 12 volt power to the 12 volt distribution buss. Your USE/STORE switch should ALWAYS be in USE unless storing the MH while NOT plugged into SP.

Did you have any power in the RV when the generator was running? If not, I suspect you have a problem with your Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS), a common Thor assembly weak point.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:21 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
I wonder if they found the problem? Would be interesting to know!
Old 05-21-2022, 06:11 PM   #8

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #18733
If everything else worked except your slide out and awning I would ask if you had the key in ignition. That happened to us when we were leaving a campground. Our slid out and awning would not retract. Tired lots of different things and finally pulled out the manual where it said the slide out and awning were disabled when the key was in the ignition. Sure enough the key was in the ignition. Removed it and all was well.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #9

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Cunningham View Post
If everything else worked except your slide out and awning I would ask if you had the key in ignition. That happened to us when we were leaving a campground. Our slid out and awning would not retract. Tired lots of different things and finally pulled out the manual where it said the slide out and awning were disabled when the key was in the ignition. Sure enough the key was in the ignition. Removed it and all was well.
Mike did not know that! Thanks will file that in the back of my mind right next to don’t forget the 12 pack!!