Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40RX
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1567
I think that you'll find that there are still quite a few things still getting power even with the switch in the "Store" position. I found on mine that even in the "Store" position, my house batteries were going dead in a couple of weeks. Come to find out that even in the "Store" position the steps were hot, the slides were hot, the stereo system was hot and a couple of other things. If you have LP in your coach the LP leak detector will also be hot. So just being in "Store" position doesn't mean that the coach is without power. I don't know why the manufacturers (it isn't just Thor) continue the myth that it disconnects all power... I installed a kill switch right at the batteries that disconnects the positive cable. That works; zero power to the coach.

2014 Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Another thing I read as a potential problem is trying to plug a GFCI protected circuit (the RV's GFCI circuit) into another GFCI protected circuit (the house GFCI circuit) could cause the house breaker to trip.

I am not an electrician and this is just something I read awhile back.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #23

State: Florida
THOR #5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Another thing I read as a potential problem is trying to plug a GFCI protected circuit (the RV's GFCI circuit) into another GFCI protected circuit (the house GFCI circuit) could cause the house breaker to trip.

I am not an electrician and this is just something I read awhile back.
I am plugging in the 30a power cord into a stepdown dogbone 15a before plugging it into the 110vac GFI.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #24
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordog View Post
I am plugging in the 30a power cord into a stepdown dogbone 15a before plugging it into the 110vac GFI.
Understand that, but by plugging the RV into the house outlet you are plugging in the RV's internal GFCI outlets/circuits. The RV does not disconnect or suspend GFCI protection when you plug into shore power.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #25

THOR #5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Understand that, but by plugging the RV into the house outlet you are plugging in the RV's internal GFCI outlets/circuits. The RV does not disconnect or suspend GFCI protection when you plug into shore power.
I do have a LED nightlight plugged into one of the RV bathroom GFI outlets. Is that what I should unplug before connecting to my garage 15a GFI outlet?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordog View Post
Resetting the GFI causes and immediate trip. Resetting again causes another immediate trip.

Everything is turned off including the battery disconnect switch.

It doesn't trip until i connect the dogbone to the 30amp connector. Connecting the dogbone connector by itself won't cause a trip since no load.
That's a good start. Just to be clear though, you're not looking for a load that trips the GFI because it exceeds 15 Amps or whatever the breaker is rated for. A "real" load doesn't have to be present to cause this issue.

You are looking for anything that leaks a tiny amount of electrical current. For example, if you were using an extension cord or an adaptor that had bad insulation, it may allow a small fraction of an amp of current to go to ground, which would trip the GFI. Sometimes wire insulation can be slightly damaged by a staple, nail, or rough metal edge that can cause these problems, yet they are not bad enough to trip a standard breaker on over-current. Some devices may also have a slight leak where a tiny amount of current is going to ground. That's why you want to first disconnect everything on the 115-Volt AC side if possible.

Without a wiring diagram I can't really help much because I don't know what else can be causing issue. I'm assuming the generator's transfer switch is likely located between the power cord and the breaker box. This would make process of elimination a little more difficult because turning off breakers may not be enough.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4919
I have also noted problems when using the "dogbone" (Surge Guard 30A) in conjunction with my garage GFCI outlet circuit. However, it often varies and is intermittent. I have just stopped using the Surge Guard, in the garage. Although, I would suspect that most RV campgrounds probably have GFCI circuits. I have not noticed problems at campgrounds. But, I never used the "dogbone" prior to purchasing the THOR. I suppose, I figured that since this was a sizeable investment I might as well maximize my protection. Even if, in the past, I never experienced any problems.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #28

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #5361
Why don't you check and see if the particular outlet you want to use can be Non-GFI. You can dedicate the outlet to be used for your RV. If the GFI outlet is the head unit meaning the one with the test and reset buttons and no other outlets are down stream off that GFI.
You can simply change out the plug with a single outlet dedicated for the purpose of your RV without violation to any code.
Your GFI is doing its job, and you don't seem to have problems when connected to non GFI. I don't think you have a problem. Anything connect in your unit that monitors incoming voltage may be the cause of the GFI tripping.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #29

THOR #5357
I did the following:

Tested at a third location GFI
Replaced 30a/15a adapter
Removed surge protector
Unplugged all night lights plugged inside RV
Turned off all circuit breakers at the panel below the bed
Set battery disconnect to Store mode

Same result. As soon as I plug into the GFI it pops over and over again after resetting.

Any other ideas?
Old 10-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #30

THOR #5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimon View Post
Why don't you check and see if the particular outlet you want to use can be Non-GFI. You can dedicate the outlet to be used for your RV. If the GFI outlet is the head unit meaning the one with the test and reset buttons and no other outlets are down stream off that GFI.
You can simply change out the plug with a single outlet dedicated for the purpose of your RV without violation to any code.
Your GFI is doing its job, and you don't seem to have problems when connected to non GFI. I don't think you have a problem. Anything connect in your unit that monitors incoming voltage may be the cause of the GFI tripping.
Yes this was going to be my last resort. Both plugs in my garage are GFI protected and no plugs are downstream of them.

This doesn't help me though when parked at my family's homes and wanting to connect to their outlet
Old 10-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #5361
Found some similar issues and suggestions on the air stream forum, here's the link
30A to 20A to bypass GFI? - Airstream Forums
Old 10-24-2016, 03:36 AM   #32
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I run my 50amp RV at home stepping down to 30... then to 15... and plugged into a GFI outlet... It should work - if it doesn't there is a problem...

Circuit breakers are there to protect equipment/wiring from overload/overcurrent... The GFI/GFCI is there to protect YOU - from a leakage condition that could otherwise cause a shock that wouldn't trip the circuit breaker... They are (at least in areas I've been) required in kitchens (counters near sinks), bathrooms, garages, and outdoor outlets.

If all circuit breakers are off in the RV - and still tripping - you are looking for a problem between the cords/adapters and the transfer switch - including the connectors/fittings in between.

Try different cords... check the connector into the RV... and then into the transfer switch.

(The only condition that a GFI won't support is the 50amp to 30/20 split... as it causes the GFI to sense a 'leakage' as the circuits are 'tied together' with common ground... But straight 30 to 15... or 50 to 30 to 15... should all work on a GFI outlet. Haven't seen a 30A or 50A outlet protected by GFI.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #33

THOR #5357
Thanks to everyone for posting their help and suggestions. Since I'm still under warranty I'm going to let the dealership figure this one out. I will post back (may take a while) and let everyone know what the issue was.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #34
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Gfi

I have been plugging my RV into the garage outlet utilizing a dogbone with no issues until last week when I notice the outlet was not working. I checked the fuse panel in the garage and the breaker was not tripped. Further checking revealed that the outlet was also connected to two other outlets one having a GFI. Neither outlet was working. I changed the outlet with the GFI and I now have power back to all outlets. And before you ask yes I pushed the reset button to no avail.

Kev