Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2021, 01:00 AM   #1

Brand: KZ RV
Model: G384RLT
State: Washington
THOR #22932
4 year old 5th wheel problems

I feel sort of badly about posting over here complaining since I am new more of less to the form even thought I believe I had registered some time back but unlike the Kz Family form were I have over 3000 post I have not been posting over here much ....

My DW an I have own a Durango G384RLT for now just 4 years, we bought it in February 2017, it has been across the Unites States now three an a half times, the half time was from the factory to our dealer in Washington State ...

This has been a pretty good trailer as possibly some of you have seen me post over on the Kz family form an yes like all trailer there been some small problems an yes an for the most part Kz has stepped up to the plate an fixed such even after the warranty was up after the second year they fixed some stuff at the Kz rally in 2019

Fast forward somewhat, after the 2019 Kz rally were the Kz RV Techs look at our trailer after I ask about a slide seal problem which they stated was ok we returned home an did some camping till the fall of 2019 (early Nov.)

The trailer had it's yearly inspection an was told by the dealer everything was ok an commented on how well it was kept ..., I made the comment to the Gal handling my paper work that water would come into the back of the main slide an look like a water fall, her comment was " JUST TILT THE TRAILER BEFORE YOU CLOSE THE SLIDE AN LET THE WATER RUN OFF", I said I never had that problem before you people replaced the slide seals last year, her comments was bring it back in a month or two an we will look at it ...I winterized it an it was put away in our driveway waiting for spring, then Covid struck the country ...

The trailer sat in our driveway all winter, that spring into the fall at which time I called an took it to the dealer for it's annual inspection

Now mind you it has sat in our driveway for over a year an a half closed up the trailer was inspected an told the dealer I saw some problems on the bottom of the floors that looked like water damage an again I addressed.to seal problem... Why I said such because the screws on the bottom slide guides were missing an the screws in such wouldn't hold, also one living room slide (front) there was de-lamination on the bottom, again this slide had been closed up except a few times when the sun was out an 85 degrees ...

When I opened the slide that summer water did flow off the main living room slide onto the ground, I didn't give it a second thought,

I should have Ugh !!! The RV Tech this time stated that I had De-lamination not only outside but inside the trailer on all three
slides, main living room slide, kitchen slide were the front corner of the slide had dropped 3/4 of an inch for about 6 to 8 inches an under the bedroom slide next to the outside wall ... I about had a heart attack, how in the world did a 4 year old trailer have this much water damage that has sat in a driveway for over a year an a half ...

To avoid an questions we do not cover our trailer, it was made to be out in the weather an are old Coachmen 5th well sat out in the same place over over 10 years an never had a drop of water in it even thought just before we traded it in I did replace the roof, but there was no water damage
to such when replaced ...

So I called my insurance company, they said sorry it was a long term thing an not a short term event, if short term like wind storm hail etc no problem ... So onto Kz, emailed them, an made phone calls, sent pictures was told they could sell me parts direct an cut out the middle man, I commented I do do allot of things but not replace complete floors in slides... I ask Kz how could this happen to a 4 year old trailer, at first I thought it was my fault but after a bit of thinking I said no way, I watched this trailer like a hawk, well I guess I should have looked closer !!!!

So as it stands the last call an email I received was over a month ago an that was stating the when the Kz service Manager returned on Monday they would let me know ... I wait over a week an then said to myself I might as well go ahead an get repairs started because it looks like I wasn't going to get an call back ... Thus i called my dealer an said I wanted it fixed at the tune of $8,700 an paid them up front $1,200 for parts, today I got a texted after 3 weeks that the parts still were not in .... But as of today April 4th they said parts were in an that my service repair date would be July 1st ....

So folks all I can say is not matter how much you look you better look even harder, yes my two year warranty is up now two years ago but I still can't figure out how a 4 year old trailer that I took care of like a new born baby can have almost 9K of damage to it in that short of time ...

My only worry now along with the DW is after another 4 years will this happen again, this was the last trailer we were ever going to buy an still owning $35K on it we would more than likely really take a major hit on it ... DW wife told the RV Tech that she just wanted it to be sent back to the bank, scared him to death when she said, she said let it sit lets go home,
boy did he do some fast talk LOL ....

I still like the trailer an I still think they were well built but something has gone really, really wrong with seals after I was told by not only my dealer but the Kz techs at the rally that everything look really good in 2017, per Kz an my RV dealer 2018, an the summer of 2019 per KZ factory RV techs an then in Dec of 2019 have a 8k repair bill from De-lamination to
three slide floors ....

Safe Travels

Chuck
PS: I'm now camping in my drive when summer comes because I can't afford fuel an camping fees Ugh

Who know's maybe trade for a Montana snicker !!!! NAW I like our Kz even after this kick in the pants