Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Duck - I agree with you for the most part. Some wanted a loaded up fancy rig and others want the best price and dont care. And thats fine.... Im been slowly fixing my up the way "I" like it.

I just think that ALL of MH's over a $100 K "sticker price" should have slightly better foam / coverings + extra sound/heat insulation for all of the MH of that model (like Axis/Vegas) on the production line. That will simplify it for the employees since its not an option.

It would be nice to have a "little" better quailty over the lesser models (IMO). I have looked at all of the Thor Gas rigs and for the most part the quallty is the same.

So if someone has a budget of like $50 or $60K they can get a stipped down class C and others with $100+ K class A's.

I think it would go a long ways for "preceived quialty" for the avg user .....and for the sake of $200 IMO it would be worth it for Most (Some?) RV owners (and the others that dont notice this would also not notice the sticker price was $200 higher anyway ).

I know this is just wishful thinking on my part.... but thats what half of this forum is filled with anyway. LOL.

Mabe the next generation of MH will be slighly better than the last.

It looks like the New E350 / E450 chassis will be better in many ways. So now we just need the box on the back upgraded as well.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Things I will likely add in furure:

Heavier sway bars. Have not been on slalom courses like old I4 and blue ridge exit that was quick but constant switch backs.
A 2nd a/c, redundancy if original fails.

Other than these options everything is good. Seats show wear but so does leather in SUV. Cabinets not high end but are servicable. I siliconed insert because a couple got pushed out.

I did dog house insulation already. May add more in nose.

Original batteries still fine. Replaced chassis battery a year ago. Resealed cracked caulking on roof and resealed all side penetrations.

Replaced outside shower due to sun damage.

I did put a roadmaster damper on front.

I really do not have anything complain about.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #23

THOR #12231
Muggs.... thats sound good..... Yeah after all of my mods I really like my Axis. It fits our needs right now.

But im always looking for a few other mods that I can do myself.... Its never ending.

Or when it ends its time to purchase a new RV and start all over?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 06-09-2020, 11:10 PM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We really like our 24.1
No quality complaints and it modifies easily.
We almost never use the slide and we've set the table up once and I don't even know where the front table is right now. We use shore water only to fill our holding tank and the water heater has been Flawless.
We haven't done the simplest mod of making the windows open farther, we were happy before we found out the mod, still happy.

We were supposed to get levelers last month, now waiting until things normalize, maybe September. I'm fine without them, spousal unit is not.
I've accumulated and they're sitting in the rv box, or I've finished just about every mod I wanted. I'm sure others will pop up.

We won't start over unless this one gets wrecked. We'll have it 20 years from now.
It lives inside, we don't rough-house inside, the grandkids are a very calm pair, no reasons in the last 20,000miles to get a different one, can't think of a reason to change floor plans or chassis for another 200,000 miles.
We do happy as a hobby.

Did you guys know there's a reliable self driving module which can be added to lots of vehicles which have electric power steering and adaptive cruise?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #25

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
We really like our 24.1

Did you guys know there's a reliable self driving module which can be added to lots of vehicles which have electric power steering and adaptive cruise?
Yep, we really like our Axis. I figured when I retire I will get either a larger RV (like 32 foot).

Tell me more about this self driivng Module. I purchased a new - used 2018 GC Summit last year that has this lane departure steering + Adaptive CC / Auto braking. Sound interesting.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #26

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...gy-comparison/

The third comparison is of one of the aftermarket systems.
Quite a few reviews and test drives are on youtube.

Very impressive.
Should be
Ready for prime time without limitation in 2022

My next vehicle purchase decision will be influenced by this systems ability to work with the vehicle.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...gy-comparison/

The third comparison is of one of the aftermarket systems.
Quite a few reviews and test drives are on youtube.

Very impressive.
Should be
Ready for prime time without limitation in 2022

My next vehicle purchase decision will be influenced by this systems ability to work with the vehicle.
Doubtful, I still have yet to see any self driving system perform well enough to be considered "ready for prime time"--its just a much harder nut to crack than everyone thinks it is. (Think about it: Every company developing self-driving ability has promised that at date X we'll have a fully functioning system and every time date X comes along...nothing, nada, oh well wait a bit more.)

Cadillac's supercruise is interesting as they just have super accurate maps and as long as the road matches the map (there is a lot of road construction out there) the car does well.

Tesla: Not sure why Elon has such a hatred for Lidar? Thanks to Tesla's only using cameras they occasionally kill someone by slamming into a white truck, or hitting a guard rail because the software couldn't make it out on the cameras--if they had Lidar they would have seen a "hard stop" approaching very fast!

Will we have better and better cruise control's...sure (e.g. supercruise), but "Johnny Cab's"...not for quite some time..

Ok, let me get off my soapbox now LOL and continue with the 4 year update:

This weekend we're camping for the first time since last October...turns out there is a life expectancy to those air admittance valves and unfortunately the one in our bathroom admits a little bit too much air and in the wrong direction... will be replacing both as soon as we get back...whew.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Doubtful, I still have yet to see any self driving system perform well enough to be considered "ready for prime time"--its just a much harder nut to crack than everyone thinks it is. (Think about it: Every company developing self-driving ability has promised that at date X we'll have a fully functioning system and every time date X comes along...nothing, nada, oh well wait a bit more.)

Cadillac's supercruise is interesting as they just have super accurate maps and as long as the road matches the map (there is a lot of road construction out there) the car does well.

Tesla: Not sure why Elon has such a hatred for Lidar? Thanks to Tesla's only using cameras they occasionally kill someone by slamming into a white truck, or hitting a guard rail because the software couldn't make it out on the cameras--if they had Lidar they would have seen a "hard stop" approaching very fast!

Will we have better and better cruise control's...sure (e.g. supercruise), but "Johnny Cab's"...not for quite some time..

Ok, let me get off my soapbox now LOL and continue with the 4 year update:

This weekend we're camping for the first time since last October...turns out there is a life expectancy to those air admittance valves and unfortunately the one in our bathroom admits a little bit too much air and in the wrong direction... will be replacing both as soon as we get back...whew.
This article agrees with you. And in my opinion, if developers of the technology are held fully responsible for damage, injury, and death autonomous cars cause, I will probably not be seeing self driving cars in my lifetime. Not that that is a bad thing.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/techno...-not-happened/
Old 06-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #29

THOR #12231
Thats for the info. If figured by 2025 you will see some fully autonomous vehicles finally hit the market. I think I would wait a few years more before I purchased one.... 2030?

But then I would hope all the bugs would be worked out and it would float on water as well as fly?
Old 06-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #30

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #17907
One year Owner

We have had our 2017 24.1 for almost a year, 16,000 miles. It had 6,000 miles on it when we bought it – it was in perfect condition.

We have been from Montana to Florida and will head to Colorado very soon (grand kids), with Honda Civic in tow.

The unit is so easy to drive, almost like a pickup. The only real problem we have had so far is the coach batteries. Totally my fault for letting the water get below plates – toast!

I agree with the luxury issue – if you want more you have to pay more. This unit is a great unit for the price.

Normal complaints – the quality of the couch leaves a lot to be desired – very uncomfortable. We are contemplating recliners also. Second is the lower storage units on the passenger side leak when it rains and collect water in the bottom. I have replaced the gasket and still have the problem – I will try a different type of gasket. In the meantime, we use large seal-able plastic containers in the storage units and have drilled several small holes to eliminate standing water.

The last issue is the size of the shower – but we knew that when we bought it. I had a cab-over camper that had a one piece fiberglass shower/sink/toilet that only required a shower curtain to cover the door. It was great and I wish THOR would consider something like that. I can manage but the wife prefers the campground showers for safety sake (easy to lose balance).