Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
2016 Synergy leaks

My motorhome is scheduled to go in the shop for a number of warranty items in a little over a week. The major items have to do with leaks at several places and I sure would appreciate any guidance on my comments/questions at the end.

1. One leak has to do with the rear - fixed window. It has been "fixed" once before but this time I saw something I've not seen before. Midway at the top of the window (between the "G" and the glass) looks to be a semicircular raised area that may have broken the window seal with the rear cap. If that's the problem would Thor just have the dealership try to reseal the window or would they actually do the bodywork required to bring the fiberglass back to a uniform flat surface? I sure don't want a tube of silicone caulk filling up the gap on a unit that's still under warranty. Sorry for the rotated photo.

2. We did not use our slide but once or twice on our 6,500 mile vacation trip but noticed that the slide appears to be "racked" when looking at the outside wall. By racked I mean that the vertical edge of the slide face is not parallel to the trim work nearest the driver's side door. I'm not operating the slide again until the RV shop says it's OK or after it's fixed. Along with this I saw a puddle of water on the floor, between the slide and the driver's seat. I also saw some water dripping from the topmost Schwintek rail but the outside slide seal appeared well-compressed. Is there another path for water to travel?

3. This one baffles me about Thor. Our motorhome sat outside during some aggressive rain showers, and just before we left on a weekend trip to Virginia Beach. The first part of our drive was downhill and we didn't have any problems. When we started an uphill climb my wife started to get dripped on so much that she needed a towel . I pulled off at the next exit and onto a level spot, and climbed on the roof but did not find any skylight damage; nor roofing damage; nor anything evident to help find the source of the leak. So we sopped up the water, removed the bunk cushions to help dry things out, and like all good campers continued on our journey. When we got back home I still couldn't find anything obvious until I I remembered something the dealership's service manager said. He reminded me of a repair I had to make on the seam seal between the TPO roof and the rear fiberglass cap. On that problem several side-by-side screws were found to have the heads sheared off but still laying on the trim piece. The factory evidently used a screw gun to install them but didn't notice the damaged heads and just put Dicor over the seam. It didn't take long for the air movement over the roof to pull up the seam seal and leave exposed a 1/4" gap. Like I said I fixed that one and it stayed repaired. On this inspection I checked every seam seal between the TPO roof and the fiberglass body and in each and every place where the seal rolls over to a vertical surface there was only a "skin" of paint there...no sealant whatsoever. It was bad enough that I could easily slip a thin piece of material through the paint and it didn't even meet an obstacle and came out clean - no sealant on the strip whatsoever. Could this be a place for water or are the seams sealed without a Dicor-type caulk? I did apply a temporary fix until something more permanent is done.

With the things listed above, and I am really sorry for the wordiness, can I force Thor to have the RV service department do a thorough inspection into the nooks and crannies that I can't get to? I fully expect that repairs will be needed and have good confidence in the dealer (Sonny's Camp-N-Travel, Concord, NC) and their abilities but I had a really nice 5th wheel (non-Thor) that had major water damage due to slipshod assembly at the factory and no one found out until after the damage was done and monies were spent.

Thank you so much and this is a really good forum. And I'm still convinced I bought a good product especially when I read about things happening to owners of the competition
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160729_100345.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	2633  

KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote