Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Awning Sealer

Good morning. What is a good product for the top of the awning and awning slide outs.

Thank you

Old 06-29-2021, 12:45 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgarnat@aol.com View Post
Good morning. What is a good product for the top of the awning and awning slide outs.

Thank you
Today is your lucky day. Buy a lottery ticket, I only ask for 20% of the winnings

I spoke with Carefree Awning a few days ago to order a replacement screw plug for my Alpine Slide Cover; and while looking for their number I saw the below in the owners manual.

FABRIC CARE

NOTICE Do not use oil based cleaners or any caustic, granulated, or abrasive type cleaners on your Carefree product.
1. One of the best ways to keep the fabric looking good and to delay the need for deep or vigorous cleanings is to hose fabrics off on a monthly basis with clear water. This practice will help prevent dirt
from becoming deeply imbedded in the fabric. In most environments, a thorough cleaning is only required every two to three years.
2. When it’s time for a thorough cleaning, the fabric can be cleaned while still on the coach.
 For Vinyl Fabric – Use a soft brush and warm water with soap.
 For Acrylic Fabric – Use a stiff brush and warm water with soap.
3. When cleaning the fabric, it is important to observe the following:
 Always use a natural soap, never detergent.
 Water should be cold to lukewarm, never more than 100F.
 Air-dry only. Never apply heat to the fabric.
 Always allow the fabric to dry thoroughly before rolling up the awning.

If you do not have Carefree, check with Mfg of your awning to be 100% sure.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...Owner-Info.pdf

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:56 PM   #3

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgarnat@aol.com View Post

Thank you
Some would say anything that is free.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Trouble is that most products only last a few weeks (if that and if at all)
I would say that the best thing to do is to make sure the awning is washed off of any debris and dry before it is rolled up. Any dirt will eat into the fabric and will defeat any protectant you put on it. When I wash my RV (Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax) I usually open the awning and wash it with my RV wash at the same time. I don't do it for the wax, do it just because it's easy to do at the same time and don't see any reason not to.

Keep it clean, store it dry, don't keep it open all the time, keep open only when needed. This will prolong the life of the awning.

I love when you read a manual and it states "use soap" There a millions of soaps out there. Maybe they mean use a bar of Ivory soap, or maybe dish soap. Such a worthless (and liability free) statement.