Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #11359
95 Columbus Class A fuel pump issue?

Howdy everybody, new here. I'm a bit desperate and crushed for time trying to get my rv out of its current lot, but I'm having an issue with my fuel pump I think. I have limited knowledge of rvs, nothing as far as manuals to help me unfortunately.

So basically I'm trying to get her running, shes been sitting for a couple years unattended. Replaced the battery, pumped out all of the old fuel, threw some heet and new fuel in there (generator gets fuel and runs) replaced all of the fuses, but when I try and turn the key she chugs but doesn't start up. Threw gas in the fuel injector throttle body and it fired up for a little bit. Any ideas on what to try next? Would anyone happen to have a spare schematic for the electrical system or anything like that? I'm trying to learn as I go, please forgive any glaring errors. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, I am not familiar with your coach or TBI carbs at all.......but to me if you added a little fuel into the carb and the engine runs briefly until that fuel is consumed.......then spark would seem good and you are fuel starved as a minimum. I would be tempted to try spraying some carb cleaner into the carb throat(s) to clean any accessible ports or passages that may be plugged from long term storage. Failing that, test your fuel delivery to the carb injectors.....plugged fuel filter; bad fuel pump etc.

I would Google your coach details and check to see if other similar coach owners have what you need for manuals and schematics. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483

Sitting for a few years means more to go wrong unfortunately. Throttle body injection of course means on-board computer, wires that could have been chewed by mice, etc. This is not the kind of thing that you want to spend time guessing about or throwing parts into. Once you get that thing running, I would suggest with the help of a knowledgeable mechanic, go through that rig with a fine toothed comb when it comes to the safety issues that can go bad, i.e., propane refrig, water heater. Tires will have to be replaced due to age. This is the flip side of not buying new but it can be done. I have a close relative that bought a 20 year old rig for a very low price. A few years later something went terribly wrong on a camping trip. It caught fire and was a total loss. Thank God, no one was inside or near it when it happened.