Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Columbus 325
State: Oklahoma
THOR #15155
95 Thor Columbus 325

Hi, I've got an odd electrical problem.

I've got power at the breaker but nothing at either roof air. Nothing at all.

Is there some sort of override switch somewhere or a 2nd breaker I can't seem to find?

I'm at my wit's end and about to just run new power down to the breaker and call it done!

Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I notice that you have no responses so far on your electrical problem. I am not familiar with your coach, but you say no AC power to either of your air conditioners. I would start by “assuming” that you have a breaker in the AC panel for each air conditioner......and I would shut off and turn on each breaker first (sometimes breakers trip but don’t look like they have tripped) and then check the load side of each breaker for your 120VAC feed to the air conditioner. I also would “assume” that RV air conditioners are similar over the years and if so, the contactor (relay) that turns on the AC power to each air conditioner (controlled by the thermostat(s)) is mounted inside the ceiling space (in the air conditioner ceiling plenum of each air conditioner). So 120VAC on load side of the air conditioning breakers should be hard wired to the ceiling plenum contactor for each air conditioner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Typical RV Air Conditioner Basic Wiring.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	17424  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #3

THOR #15155
I checked the breaker and had power out. It just never made it up to the AC. I ended up running new lines all the way to both ACs from the breaker and both are working great.

Now I just need to replace the broken yolk on the rear end and put in a new ujoint and she will be ready to go!
Old 05-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, well I don't envy you running new AC power feeders. That must have been a fun job? I assume you have two breakers (one for each AC unit right?). Seems odd that a direct run from breaker to AC plenum contactor (times two) would be open unless they were spliced and faulty somewhere along the route. Sounds like you are well on your way to restoring your 95....."happy trails to you". (old Roy Rogers fans will recognize that)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

THOR #15155
Nope, they both run off of one breaker. Seen many like that and would prefer to have one each and 50 amp hookup but there is no more room in the box and it's only 30 AM. Didn't test them both at the same time because of where my RV has to set at the house, best I can do is long drop into 15 amp.
I didn't fish the wire up the wall and through the roof but instead I installed channeling to hide the wires and it looks pretty clean. The wiring, not the RV. 24 years has taken it's toll on the inside and it needs a thorough cleaning everywhere. Thinking new carpet, wall paper and possibly new counter tops to give it an updated feel.