Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2020, 04:16 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #17713
ABS light is on

Getting a lot of rain in Southern California. Decided to go for a short drive,a couple of hrs in the coach. It needed fuel and DEF. got home and parked it for 4 days,went to start it up and noticed I forgot to turn the battery switch off. Used the auxiliary switch ad she fired right up,however,the ABS light was on is there a way to turn the light off?
2013 Thor Tuscany LTE 36MQ

Old 04-11-2020, 05:10 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnj2 View Post
Getting a lot of rain in Southern California. Decided to go for a short drive,a couple of hrs in the coach. It needed fuel and DEF. got home and parked it for 4 days,went to start it up and noticed I forgot to turn the battery switch off. Used the auxiliary switch ad she fired right up,however,the ABS light was on is there a way to turn the light off?
You need to scan the computer to find out what code is causing it and fix it. Then reset the ECM.
OR
Take a piece of tape and cover the light so you do not see it.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
The ABS light might go off after several “engine cycles”.
Idiot lights will do that...light up for a bit & then go off after several driving trips.
And, maybe you triggered it by running your chassis batteries down.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
have it scanned.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #5

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
have it scanned.
😂😂😂

There’s not much open in CA
And today the CA governor extended the quarantine to 5/15.

So, you’ll probably have to wait a month to schedule the appointment, then another month to secure a date for the appointment, then another 3-4 weeks while your 38’ DP sits in a lot waiting it’s turn to be looked at because all of the techs are still collecting their unemployment checks while furloughed.

So, by taking the “have it scanned” route you should know by September.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:00 PM   #6

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
The ABS light might go off after several “engine cycles”.
Idiot lights will do that...light up for a bit & then go off after several driving trips.
And, maybe you triggered it by running your chassis batteries down.
What?? So your saying that the problem will just fix itself? The light came on for a reason.
So if your oil light is on, you think it is going away after a few cycles with out doing anything?
Just floored that you actually gave that advice.
Your automobiles must not last long if you ignore them when they tell you that something is wrong.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:25 PM   #7

THOR #13362
I’ve had many check engine lights that have come on from time to time in my vehicles.
I use my scanner to see what the code is, but I don’t erase.
Then after 3 or 4 cycles, it goes away for good.

On my E450, I’ve had the check engine go on for no apparent reason. Then later in the trip it goes off. Could have been an engine mis-fire or back-fire or fuel related.

On my Toyota Prius if I go over a pot hole rather fast on a turn, the ABS comes on and stays on for several minutes. Then goes away.

So for this situation, I would just drive it for a while and see what happens.
Unless, of course, he owns a scan tool. Then he will know immediately.

But to take his 38’ DP to a dealer, that’s a lot of effort.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, these lights aren't always a sign of something fatally 'wrong', just that a 'condition' has thrown a code, and the alert, if not a 'constant' condition, WILL go away after so many miles, or so many ignition cycles... so, yes, it IS good advice. Experience proves this over and over.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:25 PM   #9

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I’ve had many check engine lights that have come on from time to time in my vehicles.
I use my scanner to see what the code is, but I don’t erase.
Then after 3 or 4 cycles, it goes away for good.

On my E450, I’ve had the check engine go on for no apparent reason. Then later in the trip it goes off. Could have been an engine mis-fire or back-fire or fuel related.

On my Toyota Prius if I go over a pot hole rather fast on a turn, the ABS comes on and stays on for several minutes. Then goes away.

So for this situation, I would just drive it for a while and see what happens.
Unless, of course, he owns a scan tool. Then he will know immediately.

But to take his 38’ DP to a dealer, that’s a lot of effort.
There are things called “soft and hard” codes. If I ever have a light come on my dash of any vehicle I will not ignore it.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:36 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If your ABS light came on, something may be wrong with the system, You could have a faulty wheel sensor, a break in a wire, a faulty module in the brake system, etc. The only way to know is to have the codes downloaded. Code readers for OBDII systems are pretty inexpensive, but I don't know what system is used on a DP as I have never had one.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:46 AM   #11

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
If your ABS light came on, something may be wrong with the system, You could have a faulty wheel sensor, a break in a wire, a faulty module in the brake system, etc. The only way to know is to have the codes downloaded. Code readers for OBDII systems are pretty inexpensive, but I don't know what system is used on a DP as I have never had one.
I agree that most likely a wheel sensor/broken wire might be the issue. But most are advising that nothing is wrong and just drive it and it will fix itself.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post

While ODBII is standard for engine/emissions codes, the inexpensive ones at least don’t read ABS codes... perhaps a more commercial unit would??
Not sure if even auto parts stores that offer free code checks can read those?

My past RV had ABS light on when I bought it used... The dealer replaced the front speed sensors as a ‘guess’ and it worked for the 5 years I owned it. Was their nickel, so I let them guess... lol
Apparently the rear sensors are more difficult to replace.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #13

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
It is likely a wheel sensor that measures the rotational speed of each wheel. I have seen them be the reason the ABS light is triggered.

I would crawl under the chassis and look for the wire that runs to the center of each wheel. There will be a connector you can pull apart that connects it to the main wiring harness.

I would pull each sensor's connector and make sure the connection is clean, dry and tight. That might solve your problem.

Otherwise you would need to have it scanned to verify it is a sensor and which wheel needs to have its sensor replaced.

It is not a difficult job to replace a wheel sensor. I have changed them on my Silverado.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #14

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
What?? So your saying that the problem will just fix itself? The light came on for a reason.
Often a low/weak battery will trigger some warning lights, ABS is common . After battery is fully charged the light will usually clear on it own while driving.(ABS computer realizes all the wheels are turning)

OP drive the Rv for a short trip, a few miles... Worth a try.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:40 AM   #15

THOR #17713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
Often a low/weak battery will trigger some warning lights, ABS is common . After battery is fully charged the light will usually clear on it own while driving.(ABS computer realizes all the wheels are turning)

OP drive the Rv for a short trip, a few miles... Worth a try.

Updated on abs light
Rynosback you were spot on. After charging the battery,the light went off. I love this forum.really some helpful Motorhomers here
Old 04-13-2020, 02:15 AM   #16

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Most likely the abs sensor's or the harness plugs to the sensors have got water in them and that will turn on the abs light as the water can short the pins and give the abs controller an open or shorted code, while you will still have normal braking you wont have anti lock braking, you can unplug each abs sensor and check the sensor individually I think the reading is 18k-25k ohm's but it would be best to have someone hook up a scanner to see which wheel it is. Here in Ohio most places like autozone and advanced and Napa's can scan them for free.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane
THOR #3976
Quote:
I am a retired Ford master mechanic. Checking for codes is the very first thing you should do. Some auto parts stores will do that fro free then try to sell as many parts as they can think of. Your system has wheel speed sensors on all four wheels and sometimes has one in the rear axle housing. My thoughts on what your are experiencing, without knowing the code, is that you possibly got the connection wet and is showing an open/shorted circuit. BUT!! I would recommend Finding the code first before throwing a lot of money at it. You can purchase code readers for as cheap as $15.00.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #18

State: New York
THOR #18092
Quote:
Check brake fluid level but before adding any check your brakes. If the brake pads are low, the fluid level goes down, if it goes down too much the ABS light comes on in many vehicles. If your brake pads are low don’t add any fluid but rather change brakes. Look around make sure you aren’t leaking any brake fluid specially in the engine compartment.

Hope this helps

George
Old 04-30-2020, 03:00 AM   #19

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
Had oil pressure light that would stay on three to five minutes on start up, took it to ford worked great and would turn off at start up and after a week they could not find anything wrong I took it home. That was over a year ago and it still works well.