Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
2017 Thor Gemini Oil Life Monitor - how to read?

Thor Gemini RV on a Transit 350 HD chassis. 5 cyl diesel.

My question is this: I can't seem to find any way of reading the oil Life Monitoring (OLM). Owner manual shows no indication of an oil life percentage display that some Fords have...looks like there is just a message telling you it's time to change the oil.
Don't believe unit has Ford Sync.
I'd like to know what the "condition" of my oil is (% life left, etc.) so that I can change the oil BEFORE taking a big trip...IF NECESSARY.
I plan to do my own oil change since I can do that for about $130 (12qt full syn oil + filter) vs much more at an RV center like Camping World, but I don't want to do it too soon either.
Can it be read with an OBDII device? I've not tried but have found no references to that being something that can be done.
Any help appreciated.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Oil Change...

Just about to have my oil changed (1st time) at a Ford dealership in Cathedral Springs, CA. My on board monitor showed it was time (I didn't think ahead as you are)...I checked the manual and it says do it within 500 miles or 2 weeks of getting the message. I believe their quote was very close to what you mention.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

THOR #5981
Question to nmcmilla:

Is your RV a Thor Gemini, etc.

I've asked a couple ford dealerships and they say they cannot handle the Gemini due to it' size. Too big for their lift.

Also, what did your dealership charge?
Old 03-07-2017, 01:16 AM   #4

THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikea View Post
Question to nmcmilla:

Is your RV a Thor Gemini, etc.

I've asked a couple ford dealerships and they say they cannot handle the Gemini due to it' size. Too big for their lift.

Also, what did your dealership charge?
Hi, yes it is Gemini 23TR

As I'm traveling in Palm Springs, I took it to the Ford dealership here. They charged me about $150.
Interestingly, they told me the high charge was to replace the synthetic oil that the FORD maintenance guidelines required.
I then asked "how long can I go between oil changes which this high quality oil" they said with this synthetic type of oil I can go 7,500 miles between changes.
I felt a bit ripped off as I got the engine warning message at 4,500 miles (and as it is new I acted immediately;-) Now I realise I probably could have driven another 3,000 miles before my oil change! They certainly did not mention this 7,500 to me when I checked in for service....
Plus, their sticker on my window states 5,000 (and likely my engine warning message will come on again after the next 5,000 miles) Sooo I plan to drive to closer to 7,500 miles before my next change.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:42 AM   #5

THOR #5981
Response to nmcmilla

The Oil-Life Monitor [OLM] (see page 370 of the 2016 Ford Transit Owners Manual) DETERMINES WHEN you should change the engine oil base on how your vehicle is used: Normal, Sever, Extreme. Read that page. extended idling, mountainous roads, hot weather, cold weather max load, towing, etc. are all used by the OLM algorithm to determine when oil needs changed.

From my Internet reading, this algorithm works pretty good. Note that the OLM does not actually sample or test the actual oil.

I would not try to out guess the OLM. I'd consider it "Gospel". Could void warranty also.

I think $150 is a great price. This Diesel uses 12 quarts of synthetic oil. I bought just the oil and filter a O'Reilly Auto Parts for about $110.

Finally that's why I'd like to know where the OLM's current calculation sets so I could change the oil myself BEFORE I was halfway through a trip and had to have it changed and disrupt my trip. But Alas, I've found on way of doing that. No OBDII device that I'm aware of will pull that info out.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:52 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikea
Finally that's why I'd like to know where the OLM's current calculation sets so I could change the oil myself BEFORE I was halfway through a trip and had to have it changed and disrupt my trip. But Alas, I've found on way of doing that. No OBDII device that I'm aware of will pull that info out.
Have you tried Forscan: It can pull out some custom Ford data.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:39 AM   #7

THOR #5922
Hi again, yes I did read the manual regarding actual type of use dictating oil the change interval ...so if the logarithm is set up for the synthetic oil --I can be glad I changed it in a timely fashion;-) Feeling less ripped off.
The Ford service rep did point out I was benefitting from their bulk oil containers. Checked my invoice $158.32
Old 03-07-2017, 05:56 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Mexico
THOR #6496
Gemini / Compassq

How are owners liking their Gemini's / Compass' ? That's the unit I'm leaning towards purchasing soon. Any mileage reports? Driving comfort, handling..?
Old 03-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #9

THOR #5981
Thanks JamieGeek for pointing me to forscan. Looking at it's website, it looks like it's kind of an "opensource" application and references the ODBII devices that it works with.

I had sent an email to support at scangauge.com a week or so ago….and they just replied to me that there is an XGauge code that MAY read the OLM. The XGauge code is:

Engine Oil Life (%)
TXD: 07E022054B
RXF: 04620505064B
RXD: 3008
MTH: 000100010000
NAME: EOL

XGauge codes add additional functionality to the scangaugeii unit that ScanGauge sells. I just purchased one at AutoZone.com because (1) they had a promo code and (2) a 3 year AutoZone warranty with no additional cost. With the promo cost was $135. Amazon and CampingWorld were $159 and the three year warranty was a $20 or so additional charge.

The reason I think I will like the scangaugeii better that forscan and an OBDII WiFi or Bluetooth device is the the scangaugeii comes with a display that you can Velcro to your dash. No need for a PC, iPhone, or android as your display device...so you can much more easily, constantly monitor the “always on” scangaugeii display.

I went out to the Gemini this afternoon and added Power Service's "Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost" since the weather is going to be below freezing for couple days this week This product keeps diesel fuel from gelling amongst other things. As a side question, anyone used this product and have an opinion about it?

As luck would have it, after adding the additive, I started the engine and moved the RV a bit to "stir up the additive with the diesel fuel....and noticed that the "change engine oil" message came up on the Transit display. 4162 miles on the RV. I've been very gentle with the RV and drive around 60MPH on the interstate. Unit had 645 miles on it when I bought it...and about 16 idle hours. It has 19 idle hours now. I guess I was expecting a lot more miles before needing an oil change. Perhaps the RV itself....hauling it around on the Transit chassis is equivalent to pulling a heavy load…perhaps 4000 miles between oil changes will be the norm. Guess time will tell.

The scangagueii should arrive on the 16th so I'll check it out and see if it can read the OLM. I'll check it before changing the oil. I plan to change the oil myself and will reset the OLM via Transit owner’s manual then check the scangaugeii OLM display to see if it indeed changes as expected.

Also, regarding talktodean's question:
Transit display says overall I'm getting 16.6MPG. My spreadsheet that I update with every fuel purchase says overall is 16.526. I'm VERY happy with the MPG. My 05 Tundra doublecab only gets 12 or 13 overall!

Love the maneuverability of the small RV. There are lots of places you can take this unit that a big class C or A could never go. I don't see a reason to pull a TOAD. If I'm at a location and need to, I'll UBER or rent a car for a couple days. I also don’t like the idea of pulling a TOAD with this small RV…concerned that it would overly stress the chassis, engine, and transmission.

Never owning a big “C” or “A”, to me the Gemini is like driving a big van….driving is comfortable (my opinion) and visibility with the rear camera and the big mirrors is very good. I need to figure out how to silence the window shades…they do make some noise. Guess they need to be all up when driving…maybe that will help.

Suggest you look at some of my other “tmikea” posts regarding Gemini issues I’ve seen. You might also search the overall forum for same.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:46 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikea
Looking at it's website, it looks like it's kind of an "opensource" application and references the ODBII devices that it works with.
Yeah I don't use it like you'd use a scangauge; I use it now and then when I want to pull codes or make a recording of a drive.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Mexico
THOR #6496
Thanks for the gas mileage reporting. Which engine does your Transit have?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #12

THOR #5981
I don't believe the Gemini comes with anything but the 3.2 I-5 PowerStroke Diesel.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The Gemini 24TX is on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis, comes with the 3.0 V6 diesel.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #5646
Quote:
Thanks JamieGeek for pointing me to forscan. Looking at it's website, it looks like it's kind of an "opensource" application and references the ODBII devices that it works with.

I had sent an email to support at scangauge.com a week or so ago….and they just replied to me that there is an XGauge code that MAY read the OLM. The XGauge code is:

Engine Oil Life (%)

XGauge codes add additional functionality to the scangaugeii unit that ScanGauge sells. I just purchased one at AutoZone.com because (1) they had a promo code and (2) a 3 year AutoZone warranty with no additional cost. With the promo cost was $135. Amazon and CampingWorld were $159 and the three year warranty was a $20 or so additional charge.

The reason I think I will like the scangaugeii better that forscan and an OBDII WiFi or Bluetooth device is the the scangaugeii comes with a display that you can Velcro to your dash. No need for a PC, iPhone, or android as your display device...so you can much more easily, constantly monitor the “always on” scangaugeii display.

I went out to the Gemini this afternoon and added Power Service's "Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost" since the weather is going to be below freezing for couple days this week This product keeps diesel fuel from gelling amongst other things. As a side question, anyone used this product and have an opinion about it?

As luck would have it, after adding the additive, I started the engine and moved the RV a bit to "stir up the additive with the diesel fuel....and noticed that the "change engine oil" message came up on the Transit display. 4162 miles on the RV. I've been very gentle with the RV and drive around 60MPH on the interstate. Unit had 645 miles on it when I bought it...and about 16 idle hours. It has 19 idle hours now. I guess I was expecting a lot more miles before needing an oil change. Perhaps the RV itself....hauling it around on the Transit chassis is equivalent to pulling a heavy load…perhaps 4000 miles between oil changes will be the norm. Guess time will tell.

The scangagueii should arrive on the 16th so I'll check it out and see if it can read the OLM. I'll check it before changing the oil. I plan to change the oil myself and will reset the OLM via Transit owner’s manual then check the scangaugeii OLM display to see if it indeed changes as expected.

Also, regarding talktodean's question:
Transit display says overall I'm getting 16.6MPG. My spreadsheet that I update with every fuel purchase says overall is 16.526. I'm VERY happy with the MPG. My 05 Tundra doublecab only gets 12 or 13 overall!

Love the maneuverability of the small RV. There are lots of places you can take this unit that a big class C or A could never go. I don't see a reason to pull a TOAD. If I'm at a location and need to, I'll UBER or rent a car for a couple days. I also don’t like the idea of pulling a TOAD with this small RV…concerned that it would overly stress the chassis, engine, and transmission.

Never owning a big “C” or “A”, to me the Gemini is like driving a big van….driving is comfortable (my opinion) and visibility with the rear camera and the big mirrors is very good. I need to figure out how to silence the window shades…they do make some noise. Guess they need to be all up when driving…maybe that will help.

Suggest you look at some of my other “tmikea” posts regarding Gemini issues I’ve seen. You might also search the overall forum for same.
If the shades make a clanging noise because it's bouncing against the window frame, apply one side of self-adhesive Velcro to the shade bar where it makes contact with the window frame. That will give the shade a buffer to bounce against as you go down the road. We found Thor did that to the left and right sides of our shades, but didn't do that in the center for the longer split windows. We simply replicated their solution in the center of the shades , and the clanging sound stopped.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #15

THOR #5981
I just sent this email to service@linear-logic.com

RE: ScanGaugeIi...your provided XGauge code for Ford Transit 350HD 3.2L PowerStroke Turbo Diesel Engine Oil Life WORKED!

It worked!
2017 Ford Transit 350HD. It’s really a Thor Gemini RV. 3.2L PowerStroke Turbo Diesel.

The Ford OLM (oil life monitor) was displaying that it needed an oil change.

I installed the ScanGaugeII and added the custom XGauge code below as program #1.

Engine Oil Life (%)

EOL showed 0 (zero). I.E. “0EOL”.

I changed the oil and reset the OLM per Ford Users Manual instructions.

ScanGaugeII EOL now shows “100EOL”.

So I have to believe that it is indeed working!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:15 AM   #16

THOR #5981
Just and update on the ScanGaugeII.

Took a 1278 mile trip and the unit went from 100EOL to 87EOL. I.E. 1278 miles used 13% of the oil life.

I calculated 1278/13 = 9831 miles or the oil should last for 9831 miles before 0EOL (on the ScanGaugeII display) and the dash "change oil" message displays.

Of course this may change as additional miles are accumulated.

But at least I'll be give a heads up that an oil change is needed well before the idiot light says do it in the next 500 miles.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:56 AM   #17

Model: Gemini TX
State: Florida
THOR #6814
We just purchased a 2017 Gemini TX about a month ago. So far, we like it very much. Some small issues on the maiden voyage but nothing major and to be expected. Our first trip was 3,000 miles. It was good on mileage and easy to drive (you can park it nearly anywhere).
We shopped around at comparable coaches the Winnebago Fuse, Citation,Via, and Siesta. For our needs the Gemini TX was a good choice. Its roomy for two people and our two dogs, and with the TX you get two slides which makes it more comfortable. It only sleeps 2 unless you have a small child.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:41 AM   #18

THOR #11805
My 2018 Thor gemini 24tf with only 6000klm, engine check light came on to day, def fluid ok , still lots of power. Checked on instrument panel no error message. No beeping sounds so confused. Checked gas cap, ok. Not sure what to do now.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #19

THOR #5981
get an ODBII reader and determine what the code is.

get an ODBII reader and determine what the code is.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #20

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Thor Gemini RV on a Transit 350 HD chassis. 5 cyl diesel.

My question is this: I can't seem to find any way of reading the oil Life Monitoring (OLM). Owner manual shows no indication of an oil life percentage display that some Fords have...looks like there is just a message telling you it's time to change the oil.
Don't believe unit has Ford Sync.
I'd like to know what the "condition" of my oil is (% life left, etc.) so that I can change the oil BEFORE taking a big trip...IF NECESSARY.
I plan to do my own oil change since I can do that for about $130 (12qt full syn oil + filter) vs much more at an RV center like Camping World, but I don't want to do it too soon either.
Can it be read with an OBDII device? I've not tried but have found no references to that being something that can be done.
Any help appreciated.

I had my local ford dealer do mine $130.92 plus tax
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote