Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #19628
Access panel leaking water.

I have a Thor ACE 2019 model and I love it so far but I have had a lot of leaks. It seems that the factory doesn’t connect the plumbing correctly under any of the sinks(one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom and one in the outside wet bar). I have had to repair all of them and then life was good until taking a shower. I notice that there is an access panel outside under the floor above the rear passenger tires. It has 5 small screws that are very hard to get to since the tires are in the way. With the shower running I see water draining through the waste with the grey tank open but water also drips from this access panel. Does anybody know what this panel is for and why water leaks even when the shower is not running?

Old 07-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
does this panel possibly provide access to under the shower floor?
Old 07-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #3

THOR #19628
That is what I hope it is. But to really access it and fix the leak I would have to remove both rear tires on that side. Was hoping to know if anyone else had this issue.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlamothe View Post
That is what I hope it is. But to really access it and fix the leak I would have to remove both rear tires on that side. Was hoping to know if anyone else had this issue.
If there is no access on the inside and that panel is in the same location as the shower then you know what you have to do. Support the shower floor while you are there. It is probably the cause of the leak.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
unfortunately, two things are occurring here to provide the potential for 'leakage' under the shower: incorrectly attached/glued ptrap and piping, and a shower with a floor that flexes under weight.

The access panel, the same place on my Palazzo, is not something you 'expect' to see right above the wheels of the coach, being that water thrown by the wheels is certainly capable of being thrown thru any slight crack or unsealed area of the 'hatch'.
The access panel makes sense, but it's location is not ideal, but, with the layout of coaches like ours, with the shower placement where it is, there's little to do about it.

Now, my diesel has air bags, so my access is much easier than yours, with the air bags inflated for travel. I suspect, though, when I park and deflate the bags for leveling, I have the same issue you do - how to 'get to' the screws and access panel.

When you do eventually get access, you'll see basically the 'p trap' portion of the plumbing, because it basically has to dip down 'thru' the flooring/under the shower base, which is probably more of the reason there is an 'access hole' in the first place.
One thing to do is have someone walk in the shower while you are viewing thru the access hole. If you see very much 'flex' in the piping, or movement, chances are this is 'why' you have a drainage leak. If they run the shower water while doing so it may even leak WHILE you are watching... plumbers 'pvc' or 'pipe' glue spread as much around the connection as possible might seal it off enough ... this is not 'pressurized' water, but simply the water from the shower's drain as gravity moves it down thru the piping. It's only going to 'leak' when someone showers.

Another thought is to try to squeeze something slender under the shower base, to prevent further flexing under weight, like a long slither of 1x2 wood, etc. IF you can even fit something like that thru the hole. It's about the only option.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #6

THOR #19628
Thank you very much. Very helpful. I have also found the reason for leaking water when shower has not been used for a few days. The reason is during hot weather and the hole under the pan to get to the piping the AC is running and causing condensation on the access panel. Taking it off and fixing the leak in the pipe along with some insulation may very much help this issue. Thank you!