Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2023, 10:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vision
State: Arizona
THOR #28270
Axis air flow improvements

Axis air flow improvements, part one.

We are new to the Axis 24.1 and decided to upgrade the airflow in the cabin.
Part one - Coach windows.

First order was to increase the amount of air in the coach by modifying the windows a bit. I did this in our Holiday Rambler Admiral we had for 6 years before the Axis with the same type of windows increasing the airflow substantially, and we never had a problem with these windows after the modification.

Tools needed are pretty simple – a Dremel tool with a reinforced circular cut-off blade, a hand pop riveter/rivet gun, pair of metal snips, a length of aluminum flat bar (I believe it was 1/16 x ˝ and maybe 4-6 feet long) and drill.

On the window frame, cut the pop side of the rivets (window side) off and remove the window’s hand crank and spacer bars attached to the window channel. Depending upon the window, there may be a plastic spacer that prevents the spacer bars from opening the window any wider. You might remove that plastic spacer and cut it down to an inch or so in length. That may allow the window to open wide enough to suit your purpose. If this is good, just reinstall the window hand crank with pop rivets and you are done. This worked on one of my 7 windows in the Axis and worked on several windows in my Admiral).

Most of my windows had no spacer or a small spacer, so a little more work was needed. Measure the length it would take to open the window as if the bar on the window opener were long enough from the little wheel that goes into the window channel to the thicker window opener leg. This would be the total window length from wheel to hand crank leg length. Measure twice, cut once!

There is a thin metal bar welded to the thicker window opener leg. I found that by cutting this thin metal bar about halfway and then drilling two holes for rivets on both cut ends. Then drill holes in the aluminum flat bar cut to length and use the pop rivets to join the bars together. The aluminum flat bar is a bit wider than the OEM thin metal bar, so I rounded the corners of the cut aluminum bar with the Dremel grinding tool. Also found that if you use the flat side of the rivet underneath the thin metal bars you are attaching together, they clear the window frame nicely on the reinstall.

Now that you have both sides of the window opener extended and completed, insert the opener wheel back in the window channel. Do the same to the other side. Reinstall the window hand crank onto the inside frame of the window, pop rivet it to that frame and you are done! I work slowly so it took me maybe 30 minutes per window after the first window and had a sense of what I was doing.

To complete the job, I took some gloss black paint, touched up the inside Coach rivets and painted the newly extended flat metal bars and rivets as well. The attached picture shows the before and after of the RUV slide out.

Takes a little time, but the increased airflow in the coach was well worth the effort!

Old 03-24-2023, 08:16 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriro@aol.com View Post
Axis air flow improvements, part one.

We are new to the Axis 24.1 and decided to upgrade the airflow in the cabin.

Part one - Coach windows.

First order was to increase the amount of air in the coach by modifying the windows a bit. I did this in our Holiday Rambler Admiral we had for 6 years before the Axis with the same type of windows increasing the airflow substantially, and we never had a problem with these windows after the modification.

Tools needed are pretty simple – a Dremel tool with a reinforced circular cut-off blade, a hand pop riveter/rivet gun, pair of metal snips, a length of aluminum flat bar (I believe it was 1/16 x ˝ and maybe 4-6 feet long) and drill.

On the window frame, cut the pop side of the rivets (window side) off and remove the window’s hand crank and spacer bars attached to the window channel. Depending upon the window, there may be a plastic spacer that prevents the spacer bars from opening the window any wider. You might remove that plastic spacer and cut it down to an inch or so in length. That may allow the window to open wide enough to suit your purpose. If this is good, just reinstall the window hand crank with pop rivets and you are done. This worked on one of my 7 windows in the Axis and worked on several windows in my Admiral).

Most of my windows had no spacer or a small spacer, so a little more work was needed. Measure the length it would take to open the window as if the bar on the window opener were long enough from the little wheel that goes into the window channel to the thicker window opener leg. This would be the total window length from wheel to hand crank leg length. Measure twice, cut once!

There is a thin metal bar welded to the thicker window opener leg. I found that by cutting this thin metal bar about halfway and then drilling two holes for rivets on both cut ends. Then drill holes in the aluminum flat bar cut to length and use the pop rivets to join the bars together. The aluminum flat bar is a bit wider than the OEM thin metal bar, so I rounded the corners of the cut aluminum bar with the Dremel grinding tool. Also found that if you use the flat side of the rivet underneath the thin metal bars you are attaching together, they clear the window frame nicely on the reinstall.

Now that you have both sides of the window opener extended and completed, insert the opener wheel back in the window channel. Do the same to the other side. Reinstall the window hand crank onto the inside frame of the window, pop rivet it to that frame and you are done! I work slowly so it took me maybe 30 minutes per window after the first window and had a sense of what I was doing.

To complete the job, I took some gloss black paint, touched up the inside Coach rivets and painted the newly extended flat metal bars and rivets as well. The attached picture shows the before and after of the RUV slide out.

Takes a little time, but the increased airflow in the coach was well worth the effort!
Any pictures?
Old 03-24-2023, 02:05 PM   #3

THOR #28270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
Any pictures?
Hello, sorry I did not take any pics during the window modification, only the end result and before/ after window shot on the slide out attached to my posting. - Jim
Old 03-24-2023, 02:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hello, sorry I did not take any pics during the window modification, only the end result and before/ after window shot on the slide out attached to my posting. - Jim
No pictures are attached to your posting.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:59 PM   #5

THOR #28270
Sorry , there should be 2 or three pics attached. Once I get back to my computer I’ll upload or send you the he pics I have.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:17 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Sorry , there should be 2 or three pics attached. Once I get back to my computer I’ll upload or send you the he pics I have.
No "Attachments" at all on that post nor any in-line images. Did you click the "Upload" button after selecting the picture attachments?
Old 03-24-2023, 09:56 PM   #7

THOR #28270
Thank you, I thought I did, however I'm not finding a way to add the pictures to that original post. would you know how I could do that?
Old 03-24-2023, 11:19 PM   #8

State: California
THOR #14093
I am using Android phone. After writing my response, the screen shows a little box with the plus sign. Clicking that icon allows me to attach images. (See attached image).Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230324_161150.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	41305
Old 03-24-2023, 11:58 PM   #9

THOR #28270
Okay,!I did the reply and attached the files, did you receive?
Old 03-25-2023, 01:41 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Okay,!I did the reply and attached the files, did you receive?
No.

Let's clear up terminology:

You can "Insert" images that are already hosted on a publically available site. I am inserting an image from Amazon:

You can attach images and other files to the post using the "Attach" feature. They will show up at the end of a post. I am now attaching and image.

I have also attached a PDF file.

Are you using a PC browser, the Forum APP on a phone or a browser on a phone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bay.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	41311  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf battery_maintainer_39332_instructions.pdf (634.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-25-2023, 12:36 PM   #11

State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have been attaching images for years on these forums by using the paper clip icon. You have to first get to the Advanced display version if you are in the Quick Reply version by clicking on the Go Advanced icon at the bottom of the message.

But I have never used Insert. Could you explain more?

David
Old 03-25-2023, 12:41 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
To begin with, in edit mode you must go advanced to attach photos.

The is a sticky in the admin section that lists the procedures.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I have been attaching images for years on these forums by using the paper clip icon. You have to first get to the Advanced display version if you are in the Quick Reply version by clicking on the Go Advanced icon at the bottom of the message.

But I have never used Insert. Could you explain more?

David
Please see this new tutorial thread:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...res-33712.html