Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #10409
Ace 29.3 Brake light problem

I'm not sure if anyone has had this problem but I am quickly running out of options other than going through a "Lemon lawsuit" with Thor or Camping World. We purchased our 2018 Thor Ace 29.3 in January 2018. It has less than 5K miles on it. In November, while on a trip, I lost brake lights and blinkers. Both a mobile tech and Camping World attempted to fix it by replacing the blown fuses. Every time I would turn on the blinkers it would blow the fuses, before I could even get out of the parking lot. Camping World then said it was a Ford wiring harness problem so I took it to a Ford dealer. After 3 weeks they came back and said it was in the coach wiring so back it went to Camping World. Camping World has worked with Thor in an attempt to track down the problem and just last week (we are now at the end of March - 4 months) they again said it was in the Ford Harness. It is now back at the Ford dealership and they say that all indications still point to the coach harness. We are now in the 5th month without our coach and we are getting nowhere. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever attempted to pursue a "Lemon Law" case? I have been told it will be expensive and possibly take up to 18 months but I'm not sure I have any other good options.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Unfortunately you are in the Thor Ford ping pong game and likely neither one wants to spend the time really finding out where the trouble is located.....it is easier to finger point. If you are electrically experienced you could try to find the trouble yourself (likely a grounded wire somewhere where it should not be) but it would take some time and having the schematics for your coach would be a definite asset. There are folks on the forum that do have complete schematics for their coaches (unfortunately not me....too cheap and so far no requirement...knock on wood). You can log onto Ford for a fee based on time taken to access to their data and pull schematics or try to use what you can find on line or from other years to try to isolate where the ground problem is. It is typically a frustrating business. In the mean time though you can identify a few things to help troubleshoot:
1. What fuse(s) actually blow and in which fuse panels?
2. Do fuses blow only when the left turn signal is applied; or right; or it does not matter which side is operated first?

3 Likely fuses blow for brake application as well.....but before signals are applied?
4. Any work done in the dash or around any of the signal lights front or rear prior to the trouble starting (even changing a bulb)?
5. Any work done on trailer hitch/ electrical connectors etc prior to problem?

You can't keep blowing fuses as you try to test it unless you have a cheap supply of them. It is better to try to work from schematics and see if you can break the circuit (disconnect cct connectors where possible) in various places to help isolate where the problem is and repair it. I have some generic schematics which might help but of course they assume that Ford has not changed the basic schema. My sympathies in the mean time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Part 1 Signal Lights Schematic.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	16445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Part 2 Signal Lights Schematic.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	16446  

Old 04-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
A big problem no question about that. As much as you may want to get either Ford or CW to fix the problem you may be farther ahead finding it your self. In reading your post everything worked before the issue started happening. Added on to what was already said I would start looking at the back of the light panels. Pull each panel and look at the connections follow the wires the best you can. If you are pulling something look at the connection there. If you narrow the possibilities it may be easier to get either Ford or Thor on board. I had a problem with lights and it ended up being ground wire had rubbed all the insulation off and was touching metal. It could be the smallest thing.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwebber3 View Post
Has anyone ever attempted to pursue a "Lemon Law" case? I have been told it will be expensive and possibly take up to 18 months but I'm not sure I have any other good options.
"Lemon Law" path depends on your state. In Florida, you would have a case as your problem effects the safe motor vehicle operation and no lawsuit is required, only paperwork filled out and deliver to the appropriate parties.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:26 AM   #5

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone has had this problem but I am quickly running out of options other than going through a "Lemon lawsuit" with Thor or Camping World. We purchased our 2018 Thor Ace 29.3 in January 2018. It has less than 5K miles on it. In November, while on a trip, I lost brake lights and blinkers. Both a mobile tech and Camping World attempted to fix it by replacing the blown fuses. Every time I would turn on the blinkers it would blow the fuses, before I could even get out of the parking lot. Camping World then said it was a Ford wiring harness problem so I took it to a Ford dealer. After 3 weeks they came back and said it was in the coach wiring so back it went to Camping World. Camping World has worked with Thor in an attempt to track down the problem and just last week (we are now at the end of March - 4 months) they again said it was in the Ford Harness. It is now back at the Ford dealership and they say that all indications still point to the coach harness. We are now in the 5th month without our coach and we are getting nowhere. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever attempted to pursue a "Lemon Law" case? I have been told it will be expensive and possibly take up to 18 months but I'm not sure I have any other good options.
You can always do what my dad did to our ford dealership after his new pickup had so many problems,and he told the ford dealership to either buy it back or he was going to park the truck in his front yard with a big picture of a lemon and said Bought at (our ford dealer) and it worked they took the truck back and refunded his money.
Did you check the plug on the rear for trailer towing? I think you can unplug that end and see if your lights and signals work,or find the plug along the frame for rear lights and unplug it and see if you still blow fuses,
I have seen 1 time in 10 yrs of working on heavy duty trucks that a brake light bulb was shorted out in the bulb and kept tripping the breaker and by unplugging each light one at a time by process of elimination found the problem.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I agree with trying to fix it yourself. It is possible but unlikely that a wire inside a wire loom or the steering column has shorted to something. Much (MUCH) more likely that something is shorted at one of the lights. Some very specific troubleshooting questions: with new fuses will they blow when applying the brakes only? With left turn only? With right turn only? I.e. which specific individual action triggers the short. I’m guessing it won’t be all three. If brakes do it and one turn signal I’d look at the rear bulb socket for the side that causes the problem. Likely there is water in it. If both the brake and turn signal fuses always blow at the same time it’s very, very likely that the rear bulb is shorted as that should be the only place both circuits have a common connection. Best of luck.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #7

State: Ontario
THOR #22433
Rear Break Light Issues

Quote:
I know this is an old post but I have a new unit 2021 Ace 27.2 and have the same issue. Rear lights and turn signals work intermittent and there is some relation to the front headlight switch position affecting the signal to the rear lights. I am the ping pong ball however I have to say my Local Ford Dealer has stepped up to the plate.
My question is having any of you folks found the issue? Since October 2020 I have had the issue and it still isn’t resolved. Luckily its still under warranty.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:23 PM   #8

THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. It looks like the OP never updated this posting with any resolution to their problem so we may never know what their issue was (it may not be the same fault as yours either). Intermittent problems are the worst kind to troubleshoot. Try to provide as much detail about what is failing and under what specific conditions, if you know them.

Did any repair or changes occur to your coach last October when you noticed the problem first started? You mention the headlight switch......do the brake and signal lights work fine until you turn on parks or headlights; or when you do something else? The more details provided can help forum members assist you better.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:27 PM   #9

State: South Carolina
THOR #10409
Wiring problem fixes

After a year of the RV being either at the Camping Workd or Ford dealership Thor and Ford agreed to replace the wiring harness from the front of the RV to the rear. They paid for it and Thor extended my warranty for 90 days. Everything worked for 6 months and then the rear right brake and blinker stopped again. We took it to a mechanic who specialized RV electrical issues. After two weeks, and $1650.00 he replaced an additional portion of the rear wiring harness. Needless to say we are happy it’s working again but it has been a pain not having use of the RV and the expense of paying for the repair a second time after the warranty ran out.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:23 PM   #10

THOR #22433
Rear Break Light Issues

Thanks guys for responding.

From the purchase date we have had issues with the rear lights.
It is at ford dealer now and they have reset all the pins on left and right side from the relay to the rear light harnesses. They thought it was repaired however when I went to pick up the RV the problem was still present, maybe its me…
So with the service manager we found that the rear break and turn lights work when the front light switch is in the on position. If the switch is in automatic the lights don’t work. When in park the left worked but the right didn’t. This is where everything was left last Friday, the Ford Dealer is going to contact Thor direct.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:44 AM   #11

THOR #2631
Thanks to kenwebber3 for updating his original trouble fix situation and sorry to hear the issues you have both had to deal with on your new coaches.

Regarding ScottA’s current situation, it sounds like Ford’s techs did not do a great job “testing the fix” before they called you to come and get it. Doesn’t give a warm and fuzzy that this is the correct Ford Dealer to be working on it IMO. Maybe they will step up a little higher now.
It almost sounds like the normal ignition battery source that would feed the brake and signal circuits is coming from the switched side of the headlight switch/relay itself. I wonder what happens with just four way flashers on (and no ignition/no headlights or parks on)? Four ways should be fed from always hot fusing. Just curious if the lamps/sockets and associated grounds on all affected four way signal lights (front and rear) would work correctly? Since Ford has it, hopefully they can fix it correctly before a new camping season is over. If you were out of warranty, I would determine (with an assistant) what (if any) external lighting actually works as it should and then fully map out what does not work and under all the various specific conditions. I hope they find the solution for you.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:20 PM   #12

THOR #22433
Rear Break Light Issues

I finally have a solution to intermitent break lights and turn signal issue in my 2021 Ace 27.2.

Little background at different settings for the coaches head light switch would affect the rear break lights and signal lights. Ford dealer reset all the wire connections and replaced some switch components, still no solution.

I discuvered this spring when reinstalling the TV; only coax was installed when doing this there was sparkiing between the plate on the wall and tv. I traced it back to the wineguard swith and discuvered the polarity on the switch was reversed resulting in sending a charge throught the coax to the tv's. I switched the wires, wineguard works and no sparking.

Now like majic the rear lights and turn signals work!

I believe this is likely a one off but I hope it helps others. I had 10 trips into the dealers to solve this issue

Tags
blinkers, brake lights, fuses, lemon