Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
ACE 29.3 slide doesn't want to retract...

We have a 2016 ACE 29.3 and have not experienced too many problems. However, the slide extends fine, but sometimes takes 5 or 6 tries to retract. It starts to retract, seems to strain slightly after a second or two and stops. I re-extend it, and then try again. After 5 or 6 tries it gets past that initial second or two and retracts properly. I checked to make sure the coach was level with a long carpenters level, thinking perhaps the side with the slide was slightly low but no, the coach was level. It seems the front motor "quits" first, then the entire slide stops retracting.

Any one else have this problem? How have you dealt with it?

Many thanks!

Old 06-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I sometimes have the opposite problem with my Outlaw: the slide won't extend...
If I re-set the system: it'll then happily go about it's intended chores...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
I have had it where the slide seems to labor but it always seemed to make it until I had a screw work loose on the track. Front motor needs replaced because of that. If you want to see how it’s supposed to retract try using the manual override. Big difference. You may have a bad motor.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #4

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I sometimes have the opposite problem with my Outlaw: the slide won't extend...
If I re-set the system: it'll then happily go about it's intended chores...
How did you reset your slides?
Old 06-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You push the button on the controller seven times, and then hold it until both lights start flashing.
(At least that's what I think I did... )
Old 06-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #6

THOR #4032
Actually, that is the override. I think I remember something about "syncing" the slide, but I forget the exact procedure.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
I had a problem retracting the slide once. I reset the controller like Bob suggested and it worked since since then. The directions are in the Thor Owners Manual.

What was happening at the time was the rear of the full wall slide would stop and the front would continue for a bit until it realized it was not tracking with the rear. Once I reset that it has worked well since. We happened to be leaving that day for our appointment the next day at Thor in Waukarusa for some other stuff. I asked the tech about that and he said that was the right way to resolve that.

Our 2017 has the 3Trax slide. I think the 2016 is the same?

GL, John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #8

THOR #4032
Yes, the 2016 is a three trak ....
Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #9

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
We have a 2016 ACE 29.3 and have not experienced too many problems. However, the slide extends fine, but sometimes takes 5 or 6 tries to retract. It starts to retract, seems to strain slightly after a second or two and stops. I re-extend it, and then try again. After 5 or 6 tries it gets past that initial second or two and retracts properly. I checked to make sure the coach was level with a long carpenters level, thinking perhaps the side with the slide was slightly low but no, the coach was level. It seems the front motor "quits" first, then the entire slide stops retracting.

Any one else have this problem? How have you dealt with it?

Many thanks!
Today we went to our RV Storage Yard, and I re-synced the slide. The procedure is laid out in the owners manual and is fairly simple, but if you don't know how let me know and I will post the instructions.

The bottom line is after re-syncing the slide, all appears well. Of course, this is not a scientific study so your results may vary. But if my findings are correct I do not have to replace the slide motor.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #10

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Bob, I have had the same go on with out 29.3 just the other day. We don't know why it was doing that as it was working fine just before.:banged: But you did what I did, Override the system and then resync. At first I thought there might have a screw or something getting caught in the tracks. The front would stop but the rear motor would keep going until it figured out it wasn't going in correctly. While I was over-riding the system to bring it back in, there was a huge pop and then it would start to come in like nothing was wrong. We are out on vacation now and not had it repeat it again.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
FYI: In case you need to re-sync the slide motors: they're discussing that in this thread right now:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ync-12328.html
Old 06-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #12

THOR #4032
Well, the re-sync is a simple procedure. Since I did it, the system operates flawlessly. Remember, if you retract or extend but fail to go all the way out the first time or all the way in the first time, you should do the re-sync procedure.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:32 AM   #13

THOR #4032
Slide issues on the Ace 29.3 ?????

If you have experienced any slide issues with the ACE with a full length slide, extend it and check the six "slide plates". We have found several owners of this model have found damage to the slide plate located opposite the refer.... interestingly, there appears to be no damage to the roller, only the plate.

How the plate would be replaced and fixed so it doesn't happen again is still unknown but we are going to the dealer and have him look into it. He said he would work with Thor.... although he didn't say, he seemed to be aware of this issue.

It appears this may be a common problem with the full length slides, and you may never be aware of it unless you put the slide out and inspect these plates. Our slide works just fine, but there is damage to the plate... go figure.

Even though the slide seems to work ok, one would wonder if the motors are having to work harder than they should.

If you have experienced this with your coach, we would appreciate hearing about it.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
The manual states if you only partially extend and/or retract the slides, the motors can get out of sync. It also says to amp-out the motors on a retract or extend. This supposedly syncs the motors. Amping-out means hearing the high-pitched whine from the motors when the slide stops (in or out), then hold the button and extra 3-5 seconds.

You can see this at work. My motor module is under the master bed. If you watch it and follow the manual's instructions, you can see the associated lights blink during the process.

I'm just paraphrasing the manual. Don't shoot the messenger.