Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12436
ACE 30.2 front end noise

Hi guys, hope everyone is healthy. Sorry to beat a dead horse with this and I'm sure this has been brought up but I cant find the thread for this. For the last couple of years I've had this creaking noise coming from the passenger side front end. I get it when the body shifts or I guess when the suspension flexes. Anyone have or had any similar issues?

Old 07-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #2

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
When do you get the creaking noise

When driving (what speed) when parked (levelers down?) We do get noises in different conditions, some which we have identified and addressed, and others which are too inconsistent to trace. Poltergeists...
Old 07-30-2020, 01:30 AM   #3

THOR #12436
The noise starts as soon as the rv moves, and rocks when going over uneven terrain or a dip in the road. Ive even heard it while slighty rocking the rv from the inside while standing between the driver and passenger seat.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:32 AM   #4

THOR #12436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
When driving (what speed) when parked (levelers down?) We do get noises in different conditions, some which we have identified and addressed, and others which are too inconsistent to trace. Poltergeists...
The noise starts as soon as the rv moves, and rocks when going over uneven terrain or a dip in the road. Ive even heard it while slighty rocking the rv from the inside while standing between the driver and passenger seat.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:16 AM   #5

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
what were your mechanic's front end inspection items

Have you had the front end checked out by a reputable mechanic? If so then the likely suspects have been eliminated. My noise in that area came from something that dropped from under the dash (likely a wire bundle escaped it's cable tie) and fell down into an inaccessible area by the wheelwell. Creaks on rough roads and bumps. I also had a creak when using levelers, striction oil and rub down with silicone spray fixed that one.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #6

Model: Ace 30.2
State: California
THOR #9323
We have the exact same thing with ours. Creaking when going over the slightest bump over when making turns. Driver's side only.
Sounds like wood creaking. I can't figure out the cause. 2017 ACE 30.2.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #7

THOR #12436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Have you had the front end checked out by a reputable mechanic? If so then the likely suspects have been eliminated. My noise in that area came from something that dropped from under the dash (likely a wire bundle escaped it's cable tie) and fell down into an inaccessible area by the wheelwell. Creaks on rough roads and bumps. I also had a creak when using levelers, striction oil and rub down with silicone spray fixed that one.
Im very limited to repair facilities out here. When it was still under warranty, I took it to Depaula Ford in Albany NY and they were unable to find the problem. However, while looking around underneath as soon as I brought it home from the dealer, I found that one of the boots on the drag link had ruptured. They apparently "missed" that when they allegedly checked the front end. That repair didn't fix the problem though.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:47 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #8180
I have a 2017 30.2 and no noise from the suspension but make sure everything is greased as needed and check the bushings. Could be a bad bushing??
Old 08-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #9

THOR #12436
So this morning I had the wife and kids rock the rv to create the noise in an attempt to locate where the noise is coming from. I can say that its not coming from the suspension but rather close up top. I opened the engine bay and heard the creaking somewhat behind the firewall underneath the passenger floor. I removed the doghouse and I seemded to have narrowed it down to the area under or behind the rugged portion of the passenger floor. But I still dont know what it could be.