Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2014, 12:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Thor dealers hate customers?

Well, the ones that did not buy from them.. Unlike car companies where if you bought a car from X and have it serviced at Y the Thor dealer will tell you to your face if you buy elsewhere expect big delays in warranty work. And it is true, we bought a coach in TX, we did shop local but nobody had what we wanted, so now we are paying the price. Even on the THOR website under owners it does mention this. I find it unacceptable the company would let dealers treat their customers like crap. There should be across the board red carpet service to any owner of a THOR product regardless of where it was bought. My local dealer told me it will be 3 weeks before they look at my RV, and I have to drop it off and have it sit in line, not come in 3 weeks for an appointment. What if I was traveling thru? Camp in their lot for 3 weeks? I just experienced this with the Ford side for a chassis issue, it sat for 3 weeks before that dealer even took it for a test drive, which is all they did and told me I owed them $259 for that service. A/c was not working, vibration problems but they said it is Thor, not Ford so pay up, no warranty and good bye. I am new to motor homes, is this how it works???

Old 07-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Unfortunately this is true for any brand of motor home, travel trailer, 5th wheel or pop-up. Most if not all dealerships do this and mention it to you when buying. Even with buying local and getting service at the dealership you bought at, it can take a long time. This is why most try to get service issues taken care of in the off season. It is a horrible system and I wish it would stop but just like the lack of quality in the rv industry, the service issue will continue until a governing body gets involved. That said, I did take my old tt to a local dealership I did not buy from. It was a small repair and they got me in next day and out the same day. Much kudos to country roads rv in NC for helping us out in a big way that day.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
......the service issue will continue until a governing body gets involved. .......
Oh boy, can't say I agree with that.

It is a mess though, for sure! I bought form CW, but not the store closest to me. I was concerned. I had to have the battery replaced so far under warranty at my local store, and I have had a few questions to them. I get the feeling that they will do the work without regard to my not buying from the store, but there customer service so far is less than desirable. I get the feeling it's an industry systemic thing..... Thor didn't seem to care to make a product as god as it could be for teh money they want..... they try to slough off the final QC and a lot of final tweaking either to the dealers, or to the owners who will out of a lack of better recousrse, just fix the little stuff themselves. And it seems form what i can tell that the dealers may get a hard time from Thor to get paid appropriately, so they don't want to mess with it.

I'm of the camp that free market is the fix. When a company comes in and offers a better product with better service or whatever..... more folks will buy that product instead. Unfortunately, i'll bet the answer on the horizon is a foreign comany coming into the RV market, and even more upsetting to me is that it will likely be chinese.

Tags
bad customer service