Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2018, 03:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: Texas
THOR #11738
ACE Hood

OK first let me say that I am a handy sort of guy, I can change a light blub. That being said I cannot seem to open the hood on my 2018 ACE, just wanted to look to make sure there is an engine in there. Turned the locks but still won't open, what am I doing or not doing?
Thanks

Old 06-16-2018, 03:25 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
The hinges can be pretty stiff the first time you open it. I had to use a little force on my ACE until I was able to open it and spray some lube on them.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Pull the hood towards you using the finger grips on the lock. Then you have to pull the hood out and up. Once open spray to make it easier next time.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Can you tell for sure the locks are releasing and not just rotating the mechanism. On my Miramar, the first time I opened the hood, I found them so loose I was just turning the keyhole. I got them open by pushing on the hood to release the tension. I then tightened the nut on the back side of the lock and I lubricated the hinges with some silicone lubricant.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
These locks can hang up like mine used to do. Try one side first then the other side. Both of mine turn counter-clockwise to open. Should you need to adjust the locks you need two 11/16 open end wrenches, or one 11/16 wrench and one 5/16 open end wrench.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Try pushing down to be sure the lock can turn all the way to the counter clockwise position, on both sides.
The hood comes out just a little then slides upward. It can be stiff.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Alaska
THOR #6077
Ace Hood

Mine became almost impossible to open and when I did get it open with some pretty serious force, I found it was way out of alignment as the bolts on one side were very loose. It took several attempts to get it back in alignment, but now I open it regularly and check on the tightness.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #8

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno1950 View Post
The hinges can be pretty stiff the first time you open it. I had to use a little force on my ACE until I was able to open it and spray some lube on them.
Yeah, better believe they are stiff. WD-40 them when they get loose, ditto the hinges on the side too. Since you are there now, take a look at the oil, trans, power steering, anti-freeze and brake fluid sticks, location of the C/B panel, the 100 amp (?) C/B and the battery if yours is like mine off to one side & which has metric size clamps, not SAE. (10MM). PITA to get the locks lined up with the slots and locked in place. Least then you'll know where they are, which the dealer should have shown you but...