Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
ACE Ladder

Decided to replace the ladder mounting screws on our 17 ACE with stainless steel. Started on the lowest mount just above the bumper and the first screw broke off due to rust. The second one spun in the hole and had to be pulled out. When I got the last one out I pulled the ladder frame away from the RV body and water started pouring out from around the left ladder mounting bracket.
Apparently the ladder tube (handrail) was partially filled and allowed the water to seep in around the screws on the bracket and damaged the wood. The new screws didn’t want to grab very well so I rotated the bracket and drilled new holes. I don’t think the wood is any better there so I’m considering putting in longer screws that will go all the way through the wall and catch a backer-board in the storage compartment.
How in the world would water get into the ladder?

Old 08-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
I had a similar situation where the screws rusted out. I put a 2 x 4 behind the wall where the brackets were on the ladder and put three wood screws through the ladder bracket right into the 2 x 4, held nice and tight. Touched it up with black paint and it looks like it came from the factory that way.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
Decided to replace the ladder mounting screws on our 17 ACE with stainless steel. Started on the lowest mount just above the bumper and the first screw broke off due to rust. The second one spun in the hole and had to be pulled out. When I got the last one out I pulled the ladder frame away from the RV body and water started pouring out from around the left ladder mounting bracket.
Apparently the ladder tube (handrail) was partially filled and allowed the water to seep in around the screws on the bracket and damaged the wood. The new screws didn’t want to grab very well so I rotated the bracket and drilled new holes. I don’t think the wood is any better there so I’m considering putting in longer screws that will go all the way through the wall and catch a backer-board in the storage compartment.
How in the world would water get into the ladder?
The support screws go through the round ladder rails. They are not calked or sealed. Water running down the rails eventually finds its way to the inside of the rails. Steel screws and aluminum rails equals corrosion - Ask anyone with an Airstream or UltraVan.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Also Condensation.
Seal everything.

On my little toy hauler I used through bolts and big ass custom washers. (you'll need spacers to get any sort of tight on it due to interior vs exterior wall space/squish.)
That awning is NEVER coming loose again.
I Preemptively did the ladder also.

Edit:
So I reach in the junk drawer just this minute for something and pulled this out blind. I haven't seen it in maybe ten years.
The nitrous toy hauler had a polished diamond plate theme.....
I wish we had been typing about gold bars instead of this damn washer....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200820_140347.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	25679  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Also Condensation.
Seal everything.

On my little toy hauler I used through bolts and big ass custom washers. (you'll need spacers to get any sort of tight on it due to interior vs exterior wall space/squish.)
That awning is NEVER coming loose again.
I Preemptively did the ladder also.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote