Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2021, 12:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #21434
Ace Passenger Wiper

We were on a trip and as the rain started we turned the wipers on high and the passenger side wiper rotated all of the way around and was facing the ground. After pulling over I was able to remove the nut at the motor and rotated back into place. At the end of the weekend the same thing happened on the way home but this time, after rotating back into position, the wipers would not turn off. We had to pull over and shut down the RV to stop the wipers. When they got turned on again the only way to stop was by shutting down RV. After about 1/2 hour of them running they shut down on their own and worked as designed from then on. We are hesitant to put on fast wipe again as the arm scratched the paint every time the wiper hyperextended around.

So two questions…

1) Why is the wiper hyperextending on high?

2) Why did the electronic controls wig out and is this a concern?

Old 05-11-2021, 01:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
There's more to the wiper system than what you see from the front. You need to open the hood and check the arms from the wiper motors to the two wiper posts for problems.

In addition, all wiper motors have a "park" circuit that continues to supply power to the wiper motor when you turn the wiper off, until the wipers reach the park position, then a switch opens interrupting power to the motor. Your wildly swing wiper arms may have caused that switch to stick closed ot you may a wiper motor assembly going bad. You may also have a bad switch on the wiper control stalk.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by twcallahan1 View Post
We were on a trip and as the rain started we turned the wipers on high and the passenger side wiper rotated all of the way around and was facing the ground. After pulling over I was able to remove the nut at the motor and rotated back into place. At the end of the weekend the same thing happened on the way home but this time, after rotating back into position, the wipers would not turn off. We had to pull over and shut down the RV to stop the wipers. When they got turned on again the only way to stop was by shutting down RV. After about 1/2 hour of them running they shut down on their own and worked as designed from then on. We are hesitant to put on fast wipe again as the arm scratched the paint every time the wiper hyperextended around.

So two questions…

1) Why is the wiper hyperextending on high?

2) Why did the electronic controls wig out and is this a concern?
Ace has already gave you plenty to check
However did you remove the nut from the passenger stud instead of the motor? big difference there
Old 05-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #21434
So the wiper arm was removed and the nut was removed from the crank arm, under the hood, to realign the passenger side wiper module lever to the pointing down position. There did not seem to be anything bent or loose under the hood. after realigning I replaced the nut on the crank arm and then I replaced the wiper arm in the parked position.

I know how to reset the wiper after it overshot the reversal point, I just want input on why it has overshot. Looking to find the root cause, as to why when on high the wiper arm overshot, and fix it permanently.

We camp nearly every weekend within a few hours of home and have a cross country trip planned this summer, can't have the wipers fail in the middle of nowhere.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:24 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Thor had a recall on wiper installations for 2014-2016 various coaches, but I also received the recall notice and mine is a 2013......so they must have expanded the recall perhaps? I have been lucky and not had any issues (so far) with our wipers and they passed "official" inspection, but I have no idea what they were looking for specifically (common sense tight and operational?). You might want to contact Thor just in case your 2017 coach is now included.

https://www.rvtravel.com/thor-recall...his%20campaign.