Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2015, 12:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #2888
Angry Palazzo road water problem

Driving a 2015 Palazzo by Thor in wet road conditions and water spray from tires soaked battery storage compartment thru bottom venting holes. Also flooded water storage compartment and two other storage compartment wetting some contents. Read on internet that this has happened a lot sometimes causing dangerous situations. Anyone know of a solution to this???

Old 09-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
We drove back from a trip last week in constant rain most of the way. I did not have a problem in the battery compartment or sanitary compartment. I have noted the ventilation holes in the bottom of the battery compartment and also in the upper part of the back wall of the same compartment there is a large opening you can see the drivers side rear jack assembly. I don't feel the ventilation is any more or less then typical in battery compartments. And, I have put ventilation holes in the battery compartment because too much heat can damage the battery.
However, water problem caught my eye because I do have water in several of the other compartments. After that trip last week the main basement compartment had water sloshing around in it. I had previously had problem with water standing in the rim of the basement doors, even water draining from the roof due to a/c running.
I have inspected the seals around the basement doors and they look intact. When it is a/c water it puddles in the rim outside the seal and does not usually go inside, but if it is rain and there is enough it starts going inside, primarily in the main compartment.
It does not go inside the TV compartment but does puddle in the door rim as described above.
To eliminate the a/c water problem I just barely tilt the RV when leveling so the a/c water drains to the drivers side. That helps.
This is a 2013 Palazzo we bought several months ago. Other then this water problem in the main basement we are satisfied with it even though we have had a slide nonalignment issue and still not sure how much of a problem it is!
Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #3

State: British Columbia
THOR #2888
Palazzo water problem

Thanks for your reply. Might i ask if you gave mud flaps installed? Thinking flaps, some undercoating, and more chalking might eliminate 80% of water issue.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #4

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Considering how low this coach is to the ground I have not considered them. However, I will keep it in mind as we work thru the issue. Thanx for the suggestion.
Also I just noted my orginal response said I had drilled ventilation holes in the battery compartment, I meant to say I did that in other RVs I have had, I believe this one has good ventilation and I have not noted the "saturation" in the battery compartment you noted.
For now I am mainly watching the problem. When we get home in Nov I will have more data and work on the seals unless something develops that indicates otherwise, e.g. mudflaps!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #5

Model: Pallazzo
State: Washington
THOR #2171
We also had a lot of water in the main compartment after driving through Texas during the remenants of the hurricanes in October. Trucks were passing us through standing water on the roads. Otherwise, no leaks since we bought this 2015 Palazzo in March.