Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #3314
ACE upper bunk stuck

Help Please ! We have a 29.2 Thor ACE and the front upper bed will not go up all the way or down more than a few inches. How do I fix it ?

Old 06-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Dave, is the bunk level? If not it might need some help on that side.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:25 AM   #3

State: Michigan
THOR #3314
No Jerry, Right side comes down about 3 inches while the left side hits the side wall.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:48 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Help Please ! We have a 29.2 Thor ACE and the front upper bed will not go up all the way or down more than a few inches. How do I fix it ?
needs some lube on the rails. For your situation anything. Olive oil.. spray pam..
Old 06-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
Same issue with drop down bed

Did the lubricating solve your problem? My drop down bed had the same exact problem and I was also told to lubricate the rails but ended up that the dealer had to go into the electrical system and adjust the whole thing to get it level. Luckily I had an extended warranty. I haven't had the bed down since they did that but need to put it down now for my sister to stay with me a few nights. Just wondering if these beds have a history of problems like this?
Old 06-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Go to You Tube and search for Lippert. There is a video that shows you how to re synchronize the two motors. The process is the same for the bunk as well as a Lippert slide. I'm sending from my phone and do not have access to the link.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #7

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Lippert Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKnative View Post
Did the lubricating solve your problem? My drop down bed had the same exact problem and I was also told to lubricate the rails but ended up that the dealer had to go into the electrical system and adjust the whole thing to get it level. Luckily I had an extended warranty. I haven't had the bed down since they did that but need to put it down now for my sister to stay with me a few nights. Just wondering if these beds have a history of problems like this?
Yes, these beds have a history of failing, just like all the Lippert products do. IMHO, they are way under engineered, and then incorrectly installed. Everyone who paid $2K for this option needs to be aware that the failure rate is very high. Worse, the cost to have it repaired can exceed the cost to purchase it, once it is out of warranty. Repair can also take a long time, 6 weeks is common.

If you have one of these beds, make sure, just like the room slides, that you never attempt to stop the mechanism in the middle of travel. Always either put it all of the way up, or all of the way down, never stop it midway.

Never place ANYTHING on the bed, and then retract it to the ceiling. ANYTHING on the bed, that prevents the bed from reaching 100% retraction, can cause the mechanism to fail, with resulting very high repair costs. So, if you buy an extra thick mattress, you MUST remove it before retracting the bed to the ceiling.

Also, ALWAYS have the pins in place when you have retracted the bed. Never move your coach with the bed partially descended, or without the locking pins in place. The bed will start to fall down, without the pins in place.

Hope this helps. Treat those retracting bunk beds as extremely fragile, they are.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #3900
We do not have an ACE but a new Challenger and the bed on the first lowering became unleveled and would not go up beyond a few inches. I called Thor and was walked through how to "reprogram" it. They had us raise the bed up 2 inches then lower it as far as it goes and continue to hold the button for a count of 5 then raise it up 2 more inches and then lower it again holding the button for 5 again and repeat for a total of 4 times. At the end of holding the button in for the count of 5 we were able to put the bed all the way up and it was level. No issues since. The c/s worker told me the motor can get out of sync and just needs to be reset sometimes. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #9

Model: Windsport34F
THOR #3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbsunny View Post
We do not have an ACE but a new Challenger and the bed on the first lowering became unleveled and would not go up beyond a few inches. I called Thor and was walked through how to "reprogram" it. They had us raise the bed up 2 inches then lower it as far as it goes and continue to hold the button for a count of 5 then raise it up 2 more inches and then lower it again holding the button for 5 again and repeat for a total of 4 times. At the end of holding the button in for the count of 5 we were able to put the bed all the way up and it was level. No issues since. The c/s worker told me the motor can get out of sync and just needs to be reset sometimes. Good luck!
If you have a brand new Challenger, and the bed operates as you describe, it has been installed incorrectly. A properly operating mechanism will move up and down smoothly. The mechanism is not designed to need to be reset periodically, thats nonsense. They should have told you to take the unit back for proper installation. If it is doing what you describe from the first operation, it is installed wrong, and if you do not get it fixed under your warranty, it will cost you MORE to repair it than the $2K you paid for it.

Mechanical devices do not repair themselves. The THOR tech likely has no knowledge about the mechanism, and was just reading off of his computer trouble shooting guide.

He should have advised you to take it in for repair, and I would make sure that it is added to your "punch list" for your first dealer visit. And make sure they actually fix it, not run it up and down a couple of times, and say its good to go, it isn't.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:37 PM   #10

THOR #8536
Electric bed over cab

Bed is in down position. We have no power to raise it to drive...HELP
Old 07-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #11

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Did you check the slide control box? It should give you a code