Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Should make it easier to visualize my installation.

Another advantage of this 13.5K BTU A/C is I should be able to keep the bedroom cool at night when boondocking using my Honda 2000 inverter generator.

Very nice. Which model 13.5 is it?

Do you have auxiliary fuel tank for Honda? I passed on Honda because of the small tank, and didn’t want to refuel in middle of night or haul auxiliary fuel tank. I wish Honda 2200 had 2-gallon tank.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Very nice job! I like that you gave yourself the option of running on the coaches 30A or an outside source. How’d you get the thing onto the roof? That was one of the challenges I struggled with. I’m too old to manhandle these things! I ended up finding a friend with a lift. It’s been too cold to try my new AC but I ran the heat strip the other day and I really like it’s gentle heat and very low fan speed. I think it’ll be excellent for autumn sleeping. Hope you long enjoy the fruit of your hard work.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:44 PM   #23

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
This is turning into one of my favorite threads. Really impressive to see the custom mod work on 2nd ACs I remember early on when I was shopping I kind of got taken to task because I was looking at brand new units with one AC but I really wanted 2. A lot of peeps insist that one was enough. I just could NOT see how RV Dealers in Texas were buying 29' and up units with just 1 AC I spent about a month researching mods such as this one until someone on this site advised me to find one that came with 2 ACs. While it eliminated some models and options; it was a great move for us. Even when I don't need them both, I run the one opposite of where we are, they are both ducted together and I can have minimize noise We can enter our coach in 100 degree weather and turn on both ACs and in about 5 minutes it has comfortably cooled.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
This is turning into one of my favorite threads. Really impressive to see the custom mod work on 2nd ACs I remember early on when I was shopping I kind of got taken to task because I was looking at brand new units with one AC but I really wanted 2. A lot of peeps insist that one was enough. I just could NOT see how RV Dealers in Texas were buying 29' and up units with just 1 AC I spent about a month researching mods such as this one until someone on this site advised me to find one that came with 2 ACs. While it eliminated some models and options; it was a great move for us. Even when I don't need them both, I run the one opposite of where we are, they are both ducted together and I can have minimize noise We can enter our coach in 100 degree weather and turn on both ACs and in about 5 minutes it has comfortably cooled.

If you live or camp in a hot place 2 factory installed units ducted together with 50A service certainly would be convenient. But it’s expensive and, as you note, limits your choices of coaches. We’ve been doing this for nearly 5 years with only one AC and our last unit was a 33ft Fleetwood. Its had its hot moments but never a problem at night and the workarounds were not awful. Notwithstanding, a second AC will be a welcome addition. One advantage to doing it as an add on is that you are not limited to 50A sites.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:13 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Very nice. Which model 13.5 is it?

Do you have auxiliary fuel tank for Honda? I passed on Honda because of the small tank, and didn’t want to refuel in middle of night or haul auxiliary fuel tank. I wish Honda 2200 had 2-gallon tank.
Coleman Mach 3 Plus 48203C966

No, no auxiliary tank for the Honda. When we used it with our Truck Camper it usually made it until 6:00 am or so.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:21 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Very nice job! I like that you gave yourself the option of running on the coaches 30A or an outside source. How’d you get the thing onto the roof? That was one of the challenges I struggled with. I’m too old to manhandle these things! I ended up finding a friend with a lift. It’s been too cold to try my new AC but I ran the heat strip the other day and I really like it’s gentle heat and very low fan speed. I think it’ll be excellent for autumn sleeping. Hope you long enjoy the fruit of your hard work.
I have a pole barn I built for the RV, you can see it in the pic of the A/C on the roof. I backed the RV out of the barn, used a block and tackle from the peak to hoist the A/C into the air, pulled the RV back in under the hanging A/C, and then lowered it to the roof. In reality, I left it on some cross beams for about 10 days because we had a trip planned between when it arrived and when I had time to install it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:09 AM   #27

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
If you live or camp in a hot place 2 factory installed units ducted together with 50A service certainly would be convenient. But it’s expensive and, as you note, limits your choices of coaches. We’ve been doing this for nearly 5 years with only one AC and our last unit was a 33ft Fleetwood. Its had its hot moments but never a problem at night and the workarounds were not awful. Notwithstanding, a second AC will be a welcome addition. One advantage to doing it as an add on is that you are not limited to 50A sites.
Trust me, Texas can qualify as an oven during June, July, Aug & Sept. The Winnebago Intent was originally one of the 1st coaches we looked at, but all were wired for 1 AC and Winnebago would not support ANY mods made for 2 ACs I think every Winnebago rep in Texas knew me because I was constantly seeking a workaround. It ended up being the Sunstar; but I noticed that all of the new 2021 Intents come with 2 ACs. At least the ones sold at local Texas Dealer anyway.

Part of my bewilderment was that I can get why in some cases for some units sold up North; a 2nd AC may never be needed, but why they aren't all at least prewired for easy authorized dealer install is nothing more than a travesty.

FWIW, at home, I am normally connected to only 30 amp service. I have 20/30/50 Service. I agree that I could manage to get by with one AC, but when you need two, you need two; and if they ain't there; it is a big issue. When I pick campsites, I go by best location available, not by 50 amp service. When we travel to friends or relatives; I become "dkuzin Eddie" and I can run the coach and 1 AC off 20 amps
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote