Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Georgia
Posts: 13
THOR #3358
Adding Oil

2016 Thor 24.1. Can someone tell me how to get to the engine oil cap to check/add oil? Does something have to be removed to find the cap?
__________________

__________________
Bugs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 835
THOR #1123
Looking at the engine from the front, the oil dipstick is on the right side (painted yellow) and the oil fill cap is on the left side behind the two large air vent hoses and to right of the battery near the front of the engine. If you pull back the vent hoses and shine a flashlight behind them, you should be able to see the cap. It is within armís reach.

Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Georgia
Posts: 13
THOR #3358
Thanks Larry! Have you or anyone else on the forum taken the motorhome to Jiffy Lube or one of the drove over type oil change places? Our Camping World service is simply horrid and charged us $125 last time and took 4 hours to change oil.
__________________
Bugs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
Posts: 835
THOR #1123
That sounds very typical of Camping World...quite expensive and extremely long waits. Tried to charge me for a waste disposal fee and material to check the oil in my generator.

I havenít taken mine to a Jiffy Lube or the like so not sure if they could handle it. Iíve started changing the oil myself recently since itís difficult to find a place near me that could handle it.

Maybe others on here could answer the Jiffy Lube question or other input.
__________________
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:40 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 997
THOR #4687
We change ours ourselves, also. We put a valve on our oil pan so you can attach a hose ( or put a drain pan.underbthe valve) and don't rush cross threading the plug.

Filter is easy to get to, and we use synthetic oil for the fill..Takes less than an hour and you are done.
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:31 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,334
THOR #3483
Jiffy Lube

I doubt that it would fit in their bay and personally, I wouldn't take my Axis to such a place. I would suggest you find a truck service facility and talk to them about oil changes. We have a local RV service business, NOT Camping World, where we have them change the oil. $125 is not unreasonable, at least here in SoCal where they have to pay disposal fees.
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:39 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 1,981
THOR #13932
It fits just fine in their bay.
If a dually fits, you fit.
Dually fits.
Door Height is pretty standard at 12ft for the door.
If not they'll change it in their parking lot.

I've done it twice at jiffy lube type places.
20 minutes in and out.
I think it was 70 bucks.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7
THOR #14200
2016 Ace

My 16 ace must me an early build.
The top of the air cleaner that must be removed to replace the air filter, to get it off, it's in contact with the wiper motor.
With thor's techs. Knowing this they instructed me to remove the wiper arms.
Loosen the entire motor and linkage assembly.
Push it up as far as possible and squeeze the old filter out.
I took the whole thing off and installed a banks ram air intake, made for the F53.
Better mileage and Thor can take a giant leap for this Fu#& up.
__________________
tinman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 997
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman68 View Post
My 16 ace must me an early build.
The top of the air cleaner that must be removed to replace the air filter, to get it off, it's in contact with the wiper motor.
With thor's techs. Knowing this they instructed me to remove the wiper arms.
Loosen the entire motor and linkage assembly.
Push it up as far as possible and squeeze the old filter out.
I took the whole thing off and installed a banks ram air intake, made for the F53.
Better mileage and Thor can take a giant leap for this Fu#& up.
Mine is a VEGAS on a E450 chassis... I didn't realize there was such a difference between the E450 and F53...
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
JoeDS's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
Posts: 173
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs mom View Post
2016 Thor 24.1. Can someone tell me how to get to the engine oil cap to check/add oil? Does something have to be removed to find the cap?
Believe it or not I have mine changed at Walmart. About $40-50$ as I recall. I use their Castrol synthetic and they stock the Ford factory filter.



You have to tell them to only use 6 quarts by the way. Their books invariably say 7quarts for the V10. There are 2 versions of the Ford V10 engine. One does use 7 quarts but ours specifies 6.


For me the easiest way to get to the filler cap is to remove the computer desk and do it from the inside. This may sound hard but its really easy. (It also lets you check the engine battery levels while you're there). Otherwise you have to use quart containers or a long tube which usually results in a spill somewhere along the line.
__________________
2017 Vegas 24.1
JoeDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #11
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 4,541
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman68 View Post
My 16 ace must me an early build.
The top of the air cleaner that must be removed to replace the air filter, to get it off, it's in contact with the wiper motor.
With thor's techs. Knowing this they instructed me to remove the wiper arms.
Loosen the entire motor and linkage assembly.
Push it up as far as possible and squeeze the old filter out.
I took the whole thing off and installed a banks ram air intake, made for the F53.
Better mileage and Thor can take a giant leap for this Fu#& up.
What's this got to do with changing oil in an Axis/Vegas??
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 9
THOR #11783
Thumbs up vegas oil change

after reading posts on changing the oil in my 2018 Vegas i went to work. One person said to take out the computer desk. I started to do this only to find it massively difficult. I would have to first cut out a large section of my dash. No way. I figured there must be a better way so i began looking for it. Turns out it was easier than all my vehicles. Including motorcycle. Everything on the engine to change the oil is within reach. The biggist problem is getting under the vegas. After my 20 pound weight loss it was a breeze. Pull plug. Easy. Pull filter. Easy. Refill and check . Easy. To refill attach a length of hose to a funnel and fill. My biggist problem was not looking before i paniced about it.
__________________
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 997
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
after reading posts on changing the oil in my 2018 Vegas i went to work. One person said to take out the computer desk. I started to do this only to find it massively difficult. I would have to first cut out a large section of my dash. No way. I figured there must be a better way so i began looking for it. Turns out it was easier than all my vehicles. Including motorcycle. Everything on the engine to change the oil is within reach. The biggist problem is getting under the vegas. After my 20 pound weight loss it was a breeze. Pull plug. Easy. Pull filter. Easy. Refill and check . Easy. To refill attach a length of hose to a funnel and fill. My biggist problem was not looking before i paniced about it.
Don't get "too" freaked by the access under the desk... The wood is pre-cut except for two spots. And once cut, we simply used used GORILLA TAPE to secure the wood in place from below in the engine compartment... The hardest part for me was putting the screws back in the desk plastic without cracking it...

However, that being said, we also add oil from the front through a funnel...
__________________
2016 25.2 VEGAS with 2017 Jeep Wrangler AND Two Dogs; Norwegian Elkhound & Morkie (The RV is actually the Dog's)
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
JoeDS's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
Posts: 173
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Don't get "too" freaked by the access under the desk... The wood is pre-cut except for two spots. And once cut, we simply used used GORILLA TAPE to secure the wood in place from below in the engine compartment... The hardest part for me was putting the screws back in the desk plastic without cracking it...

However, that being said, we also add oil from the front through a funnel...

I added 2 wood strips on each side of the opening and i now reattach the wood insert back with 2 screws. My wife did not use the flip out desk so I left it off and added a foam pad instead. She loves to rest her legs on it when we travel.


ADDED NOTE on AC Access:
Ive had a lot of trouble with my dash AC. It never cooled properly from day one. This opening also gives access to the AC interlock "Freeze" relay which I had to replace. I also had to replace my expansion valve. What a nightmare! I discovered then that the only way to get access to it is to remove the right front wheel, then remove the wheel well splash cover (only attached with 3 screws). That then allows access to the cover for the fan unit and heating/evaporator coil. In the course of it all found out that Thor never screwed down the cover. It was only held by 2 screws at the top. It was open to the engine compartment on the other 3 sides plus there was no cover where the hoses for hot water and refrigerant come in.
For 2+ years hot air from the engine compartment was overriding the cooling and my inside air was never much above 60 degrees.
__________________

__________________
2017 Vegas 24.1
JoeDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×