Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Georgia
THOR #3358
Adding Oil

2016 Thor 24.1. Can someone tell me how to get to the engine oil cap to check/add oil? Does something have to be removed to find the cap?

Old 02-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Looking at the engine from the front, the oil dipstick is on the right side (painted yellow) and the oil fill cap is on the left side behind the two large air vent hoses and to right of the battery near the front of the engine. If you pull back the vent hoses and shine a flashlight behind them, you should be able to see the cap. It is within arm’s reach.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #3

Model: Axis
THOR #3358
Thanks Larry! Have you or anyone else on the forum taken the motorhome to Jiffy Lube or one of the drove over type oil change places? Our Camping World service is simply horrid and charged us $125 last time and took 4 hours to change oil.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
That sounds very typical of Camping World...quite expensive and extremely long waits. Tried to charge me for a waste disposal fee and material to check the oil in my generator.

I haven’t taken mine to a Jiffy Lube or the like so not sure if they could handle it. I’ve started changing the oil myself recently since it’s difficult to find a place near me that could handle it.

Maybe others on here could answer the Jiffy Lube question or other input.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:40 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We change ours ourselves, also. We put a valve on our oil pan so you can attach a hose ( or put a drain pan.underbthe valve) and don't rush cross threading the plug.

Filter is easy to get to, and we use synthetic oil for the fill..Takes less than an hour and you are done.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:31 AM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Jiffy Lube

I doubt that it would fit in their bay and personally, I wouldn't take my Axis to such a place. I would suggest you find a truck service facility and talk to them about oil changes. We have a local RV service business, NOT Camping World, where we have them change the oil. $125 is not unreasonable, at least here in SoCal where they have to pay disposal fees.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It fits just fine in their bay.
If a dually fits, you fit.
Dually fits.
Door Height is pretty standard at 12ft for the door.
If not they'll change it in their parking lot.

I've done it twice at jiffy lube type places.
20 minutes in and out.
I think it was 70 bucks.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #8

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #14200
2016 Ace

My 16 ace must me an early build.
The top of the air cleaner that must be removed to replace the air filter, to get it off, it's in contact with the wiper motor.
With thor's techs. Knowing this they instructed me to remove the wiper arms.
Loosen the entire motor and linkage assembly.
Push it up as far as possible and squeeze the old filter out.
I took the whole thing off and installed a banks ram air intake, made for the F53.
Better mileage and Thor can take a giant leap for this Fu#& up.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #9

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman68 View Post
The top of the air cleaner that must be removed to replace the air filter, to get it off, it's in contact with the wiper motor.
I took the whole thing off and installed a banks ram air intake, made for the F53.
Mine is a VEGAS on a E450 chassis... I didn't realize there was such a difference between the E450 and F53...
Old 02-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs mom View Post
2016 Thor 24.1. Can someone tell me how to get to the engine oil cap to check/add oil? Does something have to be removed to find the cap?
Believe it or not I have mine changed at Walmart. About $40-50$ as I recall. I use their Castrol synthetic and they stock the Ford factory filter.

You have to tell them to only use 6 quarts by the way. Their books invariably say 7quarts for the V10. There are 2 versions of the Ford V10 engine. One does use 7 quarts but ours specifies 6.

For me the easiest way to get to the filler cap is to remove the computer desk and do it from the inside. This may sound hard but its really easy. (It also lets you check the engine battery levels while you're there). Otherwise you have to use quart containers or a long tube which usually results in a spill somewhere along the line.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman68 View Post
What's this got to do with changing oil in an Axis/Vegas??
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #12

State: Florida
THOR #11783
Thumbs up vegas oil change

after reading posts on changing the oil in my 2018 Vegas i went to work. One person said to take out the computer desk. I started to do this only to find it massively difficult. I would have to first cut out a large section of my dash. No way. I figured there must be a better way so i began looking for it. Turns out it was easier than all my vehicles. Including motorcycle. Everything on the engine to change the oil is within reach. The biggist problem is getting under the vegas. After my 20 pound weight loss it was a breeze. Pull plug. Easy. Pull filter. Easy. Refill and check . Easy. To refill attach a length of hose to a funnel and fill. My biggist problem was not looking before i paniced about it.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:51 PM   #13

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
after reading posts on changing the oil in my 2018 Vegas i went to work. One person said to take out the computer desk. I started to do this only to find it massively difficult. I would have to first cut out a large section of my dash. No way. I figured there must be a better way so i began looking for it. Turns out it was easier than all my vehicles. Including motorcycle. Everything on the engine to change the oil is within reach. The biggist problem is getting under the vegas. After my 20 pound weight loss it was a breeze. Pull plug. Easy. Pull filter. Easy. Refill and check . Easy. To refill attach a length of hose to a funnel and fill. My biggist problem was not looking before i paniced about it.
Don't get "too" freaked by the access under the desk... The wood is pre-cut except for two spots. And once cut, we simply used used GORILLA TAPE to secure the wood in place from below in the engine compartment... The hardest part for me was putting the screws back in the desk plastic without cracking it...

However, that being said, we also add oil from the front through a funnel...
Old 02-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Don't get "too" freaked by the access under the desk... The wood is pre-cut except for two spots. And once cut, we simply used used GORILLA TAPE to secure the wood in place from below in the engine compartment... The hardest part for me was putting the screws back in the desk plastic without cracking it...

However, that being said, we also add oil from the front through a funnel...

I added 2 wood strips on each side of the opening and i now reattach the wood insert back with 2 screws. My wife did not use the flip out desk so I left it off and added a foam pad instead. She loves to rest her legs on it when we travel.

ADDED NOTE on AC Access:
Ive had a lot of trouble with my dash AC. It never cooled properly from day one. This opening also gives access to the AC interlock "Freeze" relay which I had to replace. I also had to replace my expansion valve. What a nightmare! I discovered then that the only way to get access to it is to remove the right front wheel, then remove the wheel well splash cover (only attached with 3 screws). That then allows access to the cover for the fan unit and heating/evaporator coil. In the course of it all found out that Thor never screwed down the cover. It was only held by 2 screws at the top. It was open to the engine compartment on the other 3 sides plus there was no cover where the hoses for hot water and refrigerant come in.
For 2+ years hot air from the engine compartment was overriding the cooling and my inside air was never much above 60 degrees.