Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 18DT
State: Arizona
THOR #15957
adding power awning

I have an '03 18DT hybrid with a 17' awning. It's very hard to stow alone. Has anyone converted to a power awning?

Old 07-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Stay with the manual awning, it doesn't die and doesn't have a motor.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I always deployed and stored the manual awnings on our travel trailers by myself. Not difficult at all.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
I have a powered awning. I'd trade it for a manual one in a heartbeat. Never had any problem opening or stowing several different size manual ones.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
I have a powered awning. I'd trade it for a manual one in a heartbeat. Never had any problem opening or stowing several different size manual ones.
When I see a post like this I have to wonder why you don't sell the power unit and use the money to pay for 90 percent or so of the new manual unit you want.

So... Why haven't you? It'll be almost an even exchange if you sell your current hated unit.

If you've maintained yours I can't Imagine you being 300 bucks out of pocket as a worst case...and an even trade with the other guy doing labor as a probable case.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

So... Why haven't you?
Because then you wouldn't have had anything to make a snarky comment about.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Stay with the manual. With my ACE its the first power awning I have had. Yes its nice to push a button and watch it go in and out. That's about it however, very little adjustment (tilt) for sun, not sturdy in a small breeze. Where the manual is so much stronger and has more adjustment. I would put some wd40 in the slide arm track, that seems to work.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #8

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
I went back over the answers folks wrote in with and not one of them to me anyway, seemed to be snarky. The original post asked for advice from others and it appears what folks said was the majority of them would stay with a manual operated awning. Why is that snarky? Perhaps before anyone posts a reply it should go before a board of approval first, you know just to check it for content and snarkiness. Just my snarky opinion.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
I went back over the answers folks wrote in with and not one of them to me anyway, seemed to be snarky. The original post asked for advice from others and it appears what folks said was the majority of them would stay with a manual operated awning. Why is that snarky? Perhaps before anyone posts a reply it should go before a board of approval first, you know just to check it for content and snarkiness. Just my snarky opinion.
Post #5 was kinda snarky and not related to the OP's question. I should know; I am the king of snark
Old 07-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
It wasn't meant as snark.
It was meant to get the op a discounted power unit that he needs due to what I construed as a medical malady, and to make a seemingly impossible dream(THIS is snark) come true for someone with a power unit he doesn't want.

I didn't post that to hear my head rattle.
If I don't like something I find someone who does Like it, trade or give away, and I modify until I am satisfied.

If length was the same, and with us being mobile in a way that logistics isn't a problem, I presented a cure for two posters, nothing else.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
I have an '03 18DT hybrid with a 17' awning. It's very hard to stow alone. Has anyone converted to a power awning?
I'm not sure you can convert to a power type awning. The problem that comes to mind is the very different attachment points on the sides of the coach. The manual attaches at the roof and floor lines while the power awnings are bolted to the side walls. There really isn't much in the way of structure of the exterior walls to give a firm base to attach the framing. 1/16' fiberglass skin, 1/8" light plywood and 3/4" of foam. Not much for fasteners to grab on too.

What kind of difficulties are you having? There are some checks such as correct and equal spring tension on each end of the roller tube and checking for bent framing and rafters.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:55 AM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
As stated, not sure there is a good way without opening up the walls to beef up mounting points - as they do mount quite differently.
My last rig had manual - this one has power. I prefer the power - but it is a personal preference thing... and it is one more thing to break. I use tiedowns with both versions to add stability.
I did get pretty good at the manual one once I figured out the quirks - maybe we can help with those?
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #13

THOR #15957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I always deployed and stored the manual awnings on our travel trailers by myself. Not difficult at all.
Maybe there's something wrong with mine. Both arms need to be pushed up at the same time, otherwise the fabric binds.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #14

THOR #15957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
What kind of difficulties are you having? There are some checks such as correct and equal spring tension on each end of the roller tube and checking for bent framing and rafters.
It sounds like I may have a spring tension issue. No bent parts. I assume the springs are replaceable?
Old 07-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Maybe there's something wrong with mine. Both arms need to be pushed up at the same time, otherwise the fabric binds.
You shouldn't have to push the arms up at all: the awning rolling up by the return spring provides the force to "push" the arms up. You should just have to hold onto the pull strap to control the speed.