Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Still surfing the net on a compressor/inflator/tankless compressor and i came up on this thing:

Wagan Power Dome™ EX Multi-Purpose Emergency Cordless Inflator Power System.http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1469839412

I have requested more info on the inflator part but it looks like it would be a great "Swiss Army Knife" type backup machine. Anyone ever have one of these? It even has an emergeny radio and charging port for USB.

Doc
Doc, I carry one of these (another brand). It serves three purposes
  1. Ability to pump tires
  2. Ability to jump start
  3. Ability to supply 12V plug in the bedroom. I run my SeriousXM radio off it at night.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Great to hear. Does it take long to inflate to 80+PSI?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #23

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Luckily I have never had to test it
Old 08-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #24

THOR #2142
Okay,

It appears that this question is more difficult to answer than I thought. Below is what I got from the company that makes the Power Dome unit:
Hello Michael,
Thank you for contacting our Customer Service team for assistance with your device or questions.
In response to your email about the Power Dome EX (#2454) air compressor ability, please see below.
The Power Dome EX air compressor works best with standard size vehicle tires (32 -40psi), but you can inflate the tire to 40psi, then shut item off to cool down (10mins) then re-activate the device to complete the (80-90 psi). There is also another device (item#2020) Quick Flow Compact Air compressor, which may work best if you only need the air compressor rather than all the other functions on the power dome ex.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Doc

Old 08-03-2016, 02:40 AM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
Additional 12 Volt Access

Docmike,

We picked up a 110v compressor. The problem is that I bought a one gallon compressor. Even though it fits into one of the storage compartments a one gallon compressor is too small of a capacity.

It has 100lbs pressure but it is difficult to air tires up to 75lbs. I have considered getting a 2 gallon tank with +125lb capability.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I missing something?

machlin
Old 08-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #26

THOR #2142
Machlin,

Yeah, the various compressors say they have a maximum PSI of 100 or 125 but, reading the reviews by owners, very few can make it to 85PSI...or it takes forever, with a 10 minute "cool down" needed half way. I'm still looking.

Doc

Old 08-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #27

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

This one may be more appropriately sized for RV use (indeed the "most helpful review" is from someone using it in their RV).
This is the same one we have and use it to check tires when needed. Never had to add more than about 10 PSI to any one tire at 90 PSI per tire, have it for 6 months now and love it.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #28

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Doc, I carry one of these (another brand). It serves three purposes
  1. Ability to pump tires
  2. Ability to jump start
  3. Ability to supply 12V plug in the bedroom. I run my SeriousXM radio off it at night.
My opinion is this one is good for airing up a bike tire to about 30 PSI not a MH tire 70 to 90 PSI. as for jump starts, I have seen a few people with them and they carry this every where they go, but when it comes time to use it, its weak and no longer have a full charge to do any good except to start start a riding lawn more with.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #29

THOR #2142
Don,

Thanks for the imput from an actual RV user. I will look into the Sears one later today.

What would be a great addition for the compressor is an air gun/wrench for getting the lug nuts off/on as I do carry my own mounted spare tire...just incase flat tire out in the middle of nowhere NC.

Doc

Old 08-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #30

State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Don,

........................snip................. I do carry my own mounted spare tire...just incase flat tire out in the middle of nowhere NC.

Doc
Doc,
Where and how have you got the spare mounted. We are planning a trip to Alaska next year for the "nest"

In 2010 we wore out 3 sets of trailer tires, bent axle, had a blow out in NM and a slow leaker in the Yukon.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #31

THOR #2142
Scrub,

I went with a Curt spare tire mount using the trailer hitch (see picture). I got a clamp that tightened down on the hitch to keep it from rattling around.

If you are towing a vehicle you can get a "double-decker" trailer hitch and use the top one for the spare-tire mount.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1470236359

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151226_13_28_32_Pro.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2637  

Old 08-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #32

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Don,

Thanks for the imput from an actual RV user. I will look into the Sears one later today.

What would be a great addition for the compressor is an air gun/wrench for getting the lug nuts off/on as I do carry my own mounted spare tire...just incase flat tire out in the middle of nowhere NC.

Doc
What do you use to jack up your RV if you do have a flat in Nowhere USA
Old 08-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #33

THOR #2142
KNMIB,

I have a bottle jack.

Doc

Old 08-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #34
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Tire compressor

Quote:
Don,

Doc
Viair 400P-RV is designed for RV use and is in a small footprint. 150 psi max working pressure, has tire inflator gun with gauge and built in pressure switch. Also has long enough hose to reach around RV. Kind of pricey but gets high reviews. I am putting it on my Xmas list.
Kev
Old 08-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #35

THOR #4366
Quote:
Scrub,

I went with a Curt spare tire mount using the trailer hitch (see picture). I got a clamp that tightened down on the hitch to keep it from rattling around.

If you are towing a vehicle you can get a "double-decker" trailer hitch and use the top one for the spare-tire mount.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1470236359

Doc
Thanks Doc, I had hoped to avoid the double decker. We plan on towing DW's Grand Cherokee which is lighter then my RAM.
Wrangler JK dinghy
Old 08-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #36

THOR #2142
Scrub,

Do you have a hitch on your Grand Cherokee? If so, just move the Curt Spare Tire Mount to the Cherokee when you tow and store the extra tire for your Axis there (I plan to do that when we go to towing our Kia Soul).

Doc

Old 08-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Grand Cherokee is probably big enough that they could throw the spare in the back.

I know you aren't supposed to use the toad as "more storage" but we frequently do that (including the dolly's spare tire).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #38

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Heard good things about Viair 12V compressors for motorhome use but somewhat pricey. I bought the best 12V compressor Harbor Freight had available and so far, so good. The compressor uses small jumper cable type clamps onto a 12V battery. Hooking up to the coach batteries reaches the rear driver side duallys and the chassis battery hookup reaches the passenger side duallys.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #39

THOR #4366
Quote:
Scrub,

Do you have a hitch on your Grand Cherokee? If so, just move the Curt Spare Tire Mount to the Cherokee when you tow and store the extra tire for your Axis there (I plan to do that when we go to towing our Kia Soul).

Doc
The Grand Cherokee hitch will be used for the bike rack. Don't know what will be inside the Cherokee yet. Canoe on the roof if we take it.
May look into off setting a 2" square receiver but need to allow clearance for turns with the GC hooked up.
Wrangler JK dinghy
Old 08-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #40

Brand: DRV
State: South Dakota
THOR #4935
Another vote for Viair!