Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Additional 12 Volt Access

My new Kia Soul (originally) came without a spare tire but has a nifty little 90PSI compressor that uses the 12 (180 watt) power outlet on the dash. I did get a spare tire in the "negotiation" process .

What I am wanting to do is have the compressor in the Vegas for flats and the like and was wondering if anyone has looked into or has figured out how to tap into the 12 Volt lights that are in each of the storage bays. It would seem to be an ideal location for a 12 Volt power outlet (one on each side of the Vegas inside one of the storage bays) if the existing circuit can handle it.

The KIa's compressor makes a big deal out of using the passanger side power outlet with the 12 volt (180 watt) label on it.

Any ideas?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Those nifty 12v compressors may be able to produce 90psi, but it's also about volume. You have a generator on board so why not just get a 110v compressor and skip the wiring challenge.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The nifty 12V compressors also find a way to melt down if left running for too long as well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #4

THOR #2142
Nostick,

My initial response is "Waste not want not" as I already have the 12v compressor.

But the point about Volume is "food for thought"... so now I'm planning a Saturday trip to Northern Hydraulics to look at a small 110v compressor.

Doc

Old 07-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I got one of those nifty 12V compressors in a Michelin Road side kit a few years back. It said it would do 100 PSI but at 60 it split the hose and blew the end off causing the tire to go from 60 to 0 in a matter of seconds. The end of the compressor hose was still attached to the valve stem when it blew off. It also took about 1 hour to inflate a tire from 28 PSI to 32 PSI.

Luckily I was in test mode in the driveway and my "Real" compressor was at hand.

When travelling my Porter Cable pancake compressor goes in the storage compartment.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #6

THOR #2142
I have been surfing the web on compressors. There seem to be two major groups, those with a storage pot and "direct" compressors with no storage pot. Prices are all over the place, some are even 12v and 110v. Some list 150 PSI, but Dave's story of the airlines blowing out on the way to MAX PSI makes one wonder. Also, it is ard to get data on actual "volume" or rate of inflation.

Looks like I have some studing to to. PLEASE, anyone with ideas or suggestions post them. No sense re-inventing the wheel here.

Doc

Old 07-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Ron has several compressors depending on need.
He has a Husky compressor which he has used a number of times. He sez it has a 120psi rating, and has worked well. On the Axis, he uses the exterior outlet on the passenger side, with the heavy duty ext. cord.
He has, also, brought along his small bubble air compressor, if he thinks it will be needed for off road vehicles.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I have this guy at home. Decided to upgrade to something like this after 2 other "cheaper" compressors melted down. Haven't had any issues with it yet. It is, however, a bit large to haul around in the Axis though. (I have used it to top off the tires in every vehicle we have--including the Axis.)

This one may be more appropriately sized for RV use (indeed the "most helpful review" is from someone using it in their RV).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I have been surfing the web on compressors. There seem to be two major groups, those with a storage pot and "direct" compressors with no storage pot. Prices are all over the place, some are even 12v and 110v. Some list 150 PSI, but Dave's story of the airlines blowing out on the way to MAX PSI makes one wonder. Also, it is ard to get data on actual "volume" or rate of inflation.

Looks like I have some studing to to. PLEASE, anyone with ideas or suggestions post them. No sense re-inventing the wheel here.

Doc
Doc...Ron sez .. just go to your most trusted location for buying such items and get a good brand name in the size you feel is most efficient. He has, I think, 4 different compressors, ranging from a huge DeWalt , a mid size Craftsman and his small bubble (Craftsman?) .. and the little Husky. Ya think overkill?? yes, he does use them all depending on need.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post

Doc
Doc,

Also look for ones with an adjustable regulator. This will allow reducing the output pressure so you can blow out water lines as well as its intended use of tire inflation.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Doc,

This is the one I use and has worked well for me. I've used it numerous times to adjust the air pressures. I connect it to one of the house batteries and it has plenty long enough wire and hose connections to reach all tires. Also stows away in a compartment easily.

12Volt 150 PSI Compact Air Compressor
Old 07-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I would have a concern about the amps that these 12v compressors draw. The original says 12v , 180W. That's 15Amps. May be more than your light circuit can deliver. The 12v 150 psi compressor draws 30A. That definitely cannot run off a MH lighting circuit.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
I would have a concern about the amps that these 12v compressors draw. The original says 12v , 180W. That's 15Amps. May be more than your light circuit can deliver. The 12v 150 psi compressor draws 30A. That definitely cannot run off a MH lighting circuit.
It is recommended on any 12V compressor to get it running before hooking to the valve stem. Saves a lot of fuses and/or melted wires. Don't ask me how I know this
Old 07-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
First question is do you want an air compressor or an air inflator.

Check out this link

Best Small Air Compressors Reviews 2015 - 2016
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #15

THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
The one I mentioned above connects easily to the under-the-step house battery and seems to show very little discharge on it. It works well as a tire inflator for me. I like it being portable and taking up very little storage space also.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #16

THOR #2142
Thanks to all. Keep the pointers coming in.

Tenbear, the amps draw was a concern of mine when looking at getting 12V off the lights in the storage bays...looks like that will NOT be an option for power supply.

Dave, adjustable regulator is now a must. Your point of "air compressor vs air inflator" I will "assume" that if it has a tank it is a compressor if not it is an inflator. Kind of like "All Burbon is Whiskey but not all Whiskey is Burbon"?

Doc

Old 07-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #17

State: Florida
THOR #4366
We got the one from wally world that comes with the slime kit.......has worked great for several years. Added a true 12 volt, metal and ceramic, cigarette lighter where the outside T.V. would be. Ran 10 AWG wire back to the DC distribution panel. Fused at 15 amp like the compressor. Actually tied into the same place we did for the additional outlets in the bedroom.
Don't have much use for holding tank heaters in FL.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:46 AM   #18

THOR #2142
Still surfing the net on a compressor/inflator/tankless compressor and i came up on this thing:

Wagan Power Dome™ EX Multi-Purpose Emergency Cordless Inflator Power System.http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1469839412

I have requested more info on the inflator part but it looks like it would be a great "Swiss Army Knife" type backup machine. Anyone ever have one of these? It even has an emergeny radio and charging port for USB.

Doc
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #19

State: California
THOR #3552
Quote:
We got the one from wally world that comes with the slime kit.
I've got the same one and it works great. The slime even fixed my buddies off road skate board tire ;-)
Old 08-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #20

THOR #2142
Just heard back from a compressor company and they do not believe the Wagan Power Drome EX will inflate to 90PSI.

I am still waiting to hear from Wagan themselves.

Doc