Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2016, 12:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Adjustable Slider Support Axis

Looking for some experience with the adjustable slider support bar that came with our 2016 Axis 24.1. We were told during the PDI that it should be put in place while the slider is retracted to give extra support to the top of it. It seems to be pushing the top horizontal wood piece away from the other pieces of wood. Do we really have to use this adjustable support?

Old 03-28-2016, 12:59 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes, Slide Lock Bar

See above discussion on slide lock bars. Or search "slide lock bar".
Old 03-28-2016, 01:07 AM   #3

THOR #3483
Slide Lock Bar

Okay, I reviewed the discussions on the slide lock bar. Half the discussion seems to say that it should be installed when traveling and the other says that it should only be used if the motors fail and you have to lock it into the closed position for travel. Which is it?
Old 03-28-2016, 01:22 AM   #4

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
That is why I wanted you to read it. Your guess is as good as mine, but I have had three RVs with slides and I have never used a slide lock bar. I think there is more if a chance I will forget to take it out and damage the slide than there is of it protecting the slide. Just my view.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:48 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3552
I used the slide lock on my trip home from Indiana because the slide out started to rattle some. I think rattle had to do with the 40+ mph cross winds in Illinois and suction on the leeward side might have pulled out the slide a bit. I will probably continue to use the lock (I made a velcro sign to cover the switch to remind me the lock is in use.)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:34 AM   #6

THOR #3483
Oneilkeys, Thanks for directing me to the discussion.... I could not find anything in the Thor owner's manual, nor the one that Bevedfelker gave me. I hate to say it, but common sense tells me that this should only be used if the motors fail and has to be pushed in manually side of the discussion. Just seems that the framing on the slider is not strong enough to continually put any kind of pressure on it with the lock bar. I sent the question to Thor on their email contact site so I will let you know what answer I get. I also plan on asking my local RV repair shop because they seem pretty sharp on most of this. I just spent the evening gluing the top horizontal molding on the top portion of the slider back into place with clamps.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:00 AM   #7

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
You don't need a lot of pressure on it when it is place.

I use it because as Cosmo noted the slide rattles without it.

Also, it is positioned above the driver's seat so there is little chance of forgetting to remove it. Of course, you could also also cover the slide out switch with tape as a reminder to you that the bar is in place.

Bruce
Old 03-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've never used it and frankly probably forgot where I put it LOL.
(I've never had the slide rattle either.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I do not use them on my Challenger. Per the manual the slide motors act as a brake to prevent the slide from retracting while driving.

On my prior coach I used them for the first year and then learned better after having one come loose and hit me in the shoulder while driving. For that coach I made some "remove before use" warning streamers from left over Christmas ribbon and attached them to the slide lock. Since the locks in that coach were positioned on the top of the slide I draped the ribbons over the molding so it was visible when the locks were in place. These streamers were similar to the "remove before flight" streamers used in the aircraft industry.

On the prior coach the slide locks were closet rod cut to length and then capped with rubber end caps. They were not adjustable.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
You don't need a lot of pressure on it when it is place.

I use it because as Cosmo noted the slide rattles without it.

Also, it is positioned above the driver's seat so there is little chance of forgetting to remove it. Of course, you could also also cover the slide out switch with tape as a reminder to you that the bar is in place.

Bruce
Bruce, can you tell what causes the rattling? Where it's coming from?

I'm wondering if that's something that can be fixed or adjusted, or if most owners end up using slide bars to prevent movement and noise. I did not realize slides had to be pushed in for transit.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I did not realize slides had to be pushed in for transit.
Yes, in any camper with slides (TT, 5er, motorhome) you have to retract them.

In fact, many motorhomes (Axis/Vegas units included) have a safety in that you can't extend or retract them when the ignition is on.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

In fact, many motorhomes (Axis/Vegas units included) have a safety in that you can't extend or retract them when the ignition is on.
That's not what I meant. I know you can't drive with slides extended.

Unless I'm not understanding this issue, it seems that once the slide is in, a bar has to be installed to push on slide to keep it in tightly. As in applying a preload force to the slide to help keep it from moving at all and thus rattling.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

In my coach you cannot start the engine if the slides are extended. The same was true for my prior coach.

Also, I have found that most rattling commonly associated with slides is not actually the slide but rather the stuff inside the cabinets or other items (stove, refrigerator, microwave etc...) attached to the slide walls.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
That's not what I meant. I know you can't drive with slides extended.

Unless I'm not understanding this issue, it seems that once the slide is in, a bar has to be installed to push on slide to keep it in tightly. As in applying a preload force to the slide to help keep it from moving at all and thus rattling.
That is not what "must" be done. The manual clearly states that the slide motors serve as the brake for the slides to keep them from moving while in transit.

The slide bars are provided by most manufacturers in the event there is a slide motor failure and the motors will not hold the slide in the closed position. In that case the bars must be used to safely transport the coach to the dealer for service.

Some folks elect to use the bars because they are overly cautious and others use them because of an absence of guidance from the dealer. The bars are not intended to bring the slide in tighter than the fully retracted position. Doing this could cause more damage to the slide or exterior wall of the coach than they would be doing good.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #15

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
I agree with dave on this one. The slides have two motors, one on each track. When retracted those motors are pretty much locked in place. For the slide to partially extend while driving is pretty unlikely. Anyone who has ever manually retracted a slide with the Schwentek system can tell you it takes a considerable amount of force to move the slide.

Should the motors fail, or be disconnected because of a problem, then the bar should be used to put some tension on the slide to keep it closed.

When I compiled the manual I did extensive research on using this bar and only found a hand full of people who had ever used it. And those using it did not agree on whete it should be instslled. Several people complsined about damaging trim from installing it too tightly. In addition i saw no advantage to installing the bar against trim that was attached with a few staples. There were a huge number who never even knew what it was. For that reason I did not include it in the manual.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #16

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I agree with dave on this one. The slides have two motors, one on each track. When retracted those motors are pretty much locked in place. For the slide to partially extend while driving is pretty unlikely. Anyone who has ever manually retracted a slide with the Schwentek system can tell you it takes a considerable amount of force to move the slide.

Should the motors fail, or be disconnected because of a problem, then the bar should be used to put some tension on the slide to keep it closed.

When I compiled the manual I did extensive research on using this bar and only found a hand full of people who had ever used it. And those using it did not agree on whete it should be instslled. Several people complsined about damaging trim from installing it too tightly. In addition i saw no advantage to installing the bar against trim that was attached with a few staples. There were a huge number who never even knew what it was. For that reason I did not include it in the manual.
Ed,
I appreciate all the input on this issue as my trim was damaged and it is obvious that it was not constructed with enough strength to withstand continuous use. My trim on the right side of the slide has pulled away and I found that only a few brad nails were used, understandably. I used a good multi-purpose glue on the trim with clamps left on overnight. I will discontinue using it as the dealer told me to but will keep it in mind if there is a failure emergency.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3552
Thanks for all the info - I will give it another try without lock and see what happens. Hopefully the rattle was the high side winds.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #18

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Thanks for all the info - I will give it another try without lock and see what happens. Hopefully the rattle was the high side winds.
Another thought on slide rattle, tap etc. is that it could be caused by the external seals on the slide working against the side of the RV. Such as a stick-slip condition as the slide opening racks and twist as well as the slide itself. Maybe more so as you drive slowly over bumpy ground or pavement.
My slide does that after applying 303 to the external seals for sun protection.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Slide lock positioning

Every one with a slide should have two of these brackets installed on each side of the slide. The brackets are attached to the slide frame (one lower and one near the top) and they prevent the slide extending through the wall of the coach. This bracket is what should be used to support one side of the slide lock when the lock is used. The other end of the slide lock is support by the coach wall directly opposite the bracket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	slide bracket.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1663

Here is how I would use the slide lock if necessary. It is positioned on the bracket and the wall opposite. In this manner there is no pressure from the slide lock n the molding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Lock.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1664

This slide is easy because the slide wall is at the door. On others I have to reach behind the molding to locate the brackets.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #20

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Never saw any angles like that on my Vegas. I'll check again next time i'm at the storage yard.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote