Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2019, 08:30 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Apparently your lock has not broken and probably just needs some lub and/or adjustment. If it broke I don't think all the wiggling in the world would open it. I would first of all take a magnet and see if you have the steel or the cast zinc version. If you have the zinc version take the inside cover off, take a picture of the model number and email Tri-Mark and ask if they would send you a steel version. Thats what I did and they seemed happy to do it.http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1567542581
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	20037  

Old 09-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #62

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Ohio
THOR #8373
Will do, Thank you!!
Old 09-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #63

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Call dexter they will replace it free they did mine
Old 09-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #64

THOR #8373
Well, you were right, it was not completely broken until yesterday! The RV was running and our dog inside while I stepped out to check some things during set up in NC. Fortunately, I had left a window open and was able to climb inside and turn off the engine and start the generator for AC so my dog was okay. Then I spent nearly an hour disassembling the lock from inside and getting it to release. When I got inside, the metal piece(zinc) was broken in half. We had to drive over 30 minutes away to get a new lock and screws (separate bc this lock was in a plastic bag that they had laying around in the service dept at a CW) that cost over $200.The one we had to purchase is also a Trimark and we are afraid it will break as the last one did, but it did save the day for now!
Old 09-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #65

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
You can check and see if the striker is magnetic or not.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #66

THOR #6701
I would contact TriMark and explain that it broke and ask if they would replace it. I know you have replaced the broken one at your own expense but with what. I would not be surprised if your new one is an old stock with zinc parts. Put it to the magnet test.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #67

THOR #6701
I would suggest everyone that reads this to spend a couple minutes checking their locks. Just a simple refrigerator magnet is all it takes. This is a serious matter for your family.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #68

State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
If I may pile on here...

We had the same problem: locked in, had a camper next to us get out my tool bag from underneath, got out, got a new handle (the campground was next to a Camping World so we got a replacement but without deadbolt)...etc.

When I got home I ordered a 60-1650 deadbolt version but got one with three tabs on it. I called TriMark and learned that many parts vendors don‘t know which variant to send, and mine (with two extra tabs) was for doors with remote (key fob) type openers. The woman requested a picture of the back plate of my broken unit. I sent that, ordered the new part, and two days later—in less than 15 minutes—I had a new unit with steel plunger and deadbolt lock in my door.

Bottom line: ordering the model from Amazon didn’t ensure I received the correct variant, and I didn’t know there were variants. Calling TriMark direct helped get the right model. I must say that the person I worked with was helpful and very prompt in her replies, and shipping was two day Priority Mail.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #69

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
As said here before, contact NHTSA.GOV to file a complaint. Trimaran has had this problem for years, Winnebago had a recall. It such a hazard.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:28 AM   #70
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpycmpr View Post
I have a 2016 Hurricane 34J.

I ended up prying the door trim back further and drilling out the bracket that blocked the tumbler from releasing the door, subsequently damaging the door pretty bad. After opening the door, I realized even if I were to have gotten in through a window, I would not have been able to get to the stuck tumbler to open the door.
I realize your post regarding your failed entry door lock is 2 YRS OLD...however, we had this issue 2 days ago … and like you, did damage to our door in attempting to open the door. The trim on our Axis door is damaged. Were you able to order new trim...how did you manage the damage?

Thank you....Ron and Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:53 AM   #71

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
I realize your post regarding your failed entry door lock is 2 YRS OLD...however, we had this issue 2 days ago … and like you, did damage to our door in attempting to open the door. The trim on our Axis door is damaged. Were you able to order new trim...how did you manage the damage?

Thank you....Ron and Kay
I hope you called TriMark and got a free replacement with steel dead bolt. Some of the folks on this forum (me included) received a new lock before the old one failed. Sorry to hear of this issue again. I hope everyone that reads this post will take a simple refrigerator magnet out and check to see if the dead bolt on their rig is steel. If not. contact TriMark
Old 01-19-2020, 02:21 AM   #72

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:

Thank you....Ron and Kay
So sorry to hear you had the issue... We we're lucky and had someone inside and outside when ours broke. Which part of yours broke?
Old 01-19-2020, 02:23 AM   #73
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I hope you called TriMark and got a free replacement with steel dead bolt. Some of the folks on this forum (me included) received a new lock before the old one failed. Sorry to hear of this issue again. I hope everyone that reads this post will take a simple refrigerator magnet out and check to see if the dead bolt on their rig is steel. If not. contact TriMark
We arrived home today...used deadbolt to secure door the remainder of the trip..We plan to contact Trimark the first of the week. Our Axis is a 2016..we were stopped for gas and decided we needed to pull forward a bit...and found ourselves locked out !! Fortunately, the drivers side window was not latched so I could get in and help from the inside...however, the outside trim is damaged.
We knew we were on borrowed time, as had read about the issues. Shame on us for not ordering a steel bolt before the issue arose !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-19-2020, 02:27 AM   #74
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
So sorry to hear you had the issue... We we're lucky and had someone inside and outside when ours broke. Which part of yours broke?
Hi Mike ! We were east of Little Rock getting gas. It was the forked part right infront of the piece which pulls it back to open the door. Pot metal !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-19-2020, 05:48 AM   #75

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Idaho
THOR #5564
Demand Door Lock Recall

As said here before, contact NHTSA.GOV to file a complaint. This is a ridiculous issue that Thor has failed to take care of, should have been a recall years ago!

2017 Windsport 29m
2017 Chev Colorado Crew Cab Diesel 4X4 Toad
pengoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #76
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Hey Mike ! Knowing that you have a Vegas, I believe the same year as our Axis...can you share the Trimark Part # for your replacement lock ? This week, I will call Trimark, as well, to see what they have to say.

I agree on the idea to file a complaint with the gov regarding this issue...I did extensive reading last night regarding the Winnebago recall, etc....
and we all know that this is a dangerous issue.

thank YOU Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #77

THOR #8373
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengoquin View Post
As said here before, contact NHTSA.GOV to file a complaint. This is a ridiculous issue that Thor has failed to take care of, should have been a recall years ago!
I filed a complaint. Thor did send us a new door lock after much contact, but we had already purchased one in an emergency situation from a CW. Trimark was not helpful AT ALL for me. Basically ignored me. We did not have any trim damage.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:07 AM   #78

THOR #4687
Quote:
Hey Mike ! Knowing that you have a Vegas, I believe the same year as our Axis...can you share the Trimark Part # for your replacement lock ? This week, I will call Trimark, as well, to see what they have to say.

I agree on the idea to file a complaint with the gov regarding this issue...I did extensive reading last night regarding the Winnebago recall, etc....

thank YOU Kay
I will look when I get back to the house tonight and let you know... I dealt straight with TRI MARK this time..
Old 01-21-2020, 12:27 AM   #79

THOR #4687
Quote:

thank YOU Kay
I will look when I get back to the house tonight and let you know... I dealt straight with TRI MARK this time..
Old 01-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #80

THOR #4687
Quote:

thank YOU Kay
I am showing the part was TRIMARK 060-1650 STEEL PLUNGER

I dealt with ABBY @ TRIMARK 800-431-8616...

She was great (even though I asked at least five times "Are you sure this is the steel one?") She also assured me that this one also has reinforced plastic components also