Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
This thread has be sort of freaked out. I would like to be proactive about this. Since my rig is a 2017, is it possible that I could have a redesigned Trimark lock, if so what is the best way to determine this?
IIRC, the new lock bolt is magnetic. The old bolt is non magnetic. I am still traveling with the old lock with fingers crossed until I get a few minutes and a few bucks to change it out.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
This thread has be sort of freaked out. I would like to be proactive about this. Since my rig is a 2017, is it possible that I could have a redesigned Trimark lock, if so what is the best way to determine this?
You'll find a lot more information on this in a longer thread on the subject here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...pped-8192.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #23

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You'll find a lot more information on this in a longer thread on the subject here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...pped-8192.html
To follow up on JamieGeek's link, it's worth reading. Those people who have had the lock break need to call the NHTSA to report this safety hazard. The phone number is 888-327-4236.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:15 PM   #24

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
In any case, the door lock is probably the easiest and cheapest fix, you all are forgetting he has also bent the door to heck and probably is gonna need a new door and framework, gonna be close to a grand for that.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
My zinc latch finally broke. No big issue, we were inside. Took out 3 screws and opened latch with needlenose. There was an instance a few weeks back when door would no close for grandson. Was likely fist sign of impending doom. I ordered steel latch upgrade from trimark. I had started leaving window free most times after reading of issue on this forum.

Thanks for the prepatory heads up. Dealers should include link to this forum for new owners. Simplifies things immensly.

PS - I love my Vegas and would not hesitate to buy another Thor unit. My unit is 2 years old and 11000 miles of my use. Has proven to be a strong value. Bigger would be nice, but we spend very limited time using interior.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #26

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
I went out a picked up a newer Trimark to replace my stock lock with. My stock plunger was not magnetic at all and this one had a slight amount of magnetism to it. Not as mucn as the steel surrounding it of course.

I could not get the striker plate out of the door frame. If anyone has any suggestions on how to replace that would be great.

Stock is the one with the red knobs (top), new one has black knobs (bottom).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D803971-4373-427F-8918-1CFF9F5FA661.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	8089   Click image for larger version

Name:	FA5FDCB1-0C78-4D2A-B900-A1CD3AE0FAE1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	8090  

Click image for larger version

Name:	747B6B76-5376-4BFB-A27D-752189D254C0.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	8091  
Old 12-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #27

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Being very unhappy with our Trimark breaking while on a trip I replaced it with a Bauer and am very happy with it. I had the same problem, seems they put the striker plate on then installed the door frame. The Bauer striker plate does have a nicer finish but aside from that appears identical. Left the old striker plate in place and everything works fine. Jim.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #28

State: Arizona
THOR #10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpycmpr View Post
I have a 2016 Hurricane 34J. While out on a ranch over the weekend my door would not open. It was not locked, as I had the key and could turn the lock. The handle would open, but it turns out the tumbler inside did not move. Apparently after I shut the door like normal, something broke on the inside not letting the tumbler engage when I used the handle.

My phone, and access to the warranty repair were locked inside the motorhome. I managed to bend the door trim out to get a screw driver in to pry the tumbler back. I could not get enough of the tumbler to pass the bracket to let the door open. I then drilled the lock out, but that didnt work either.

I ended up prying the door trim back further and drilling out the bracket that blocked the tumbler from releasing the door, subsequently damaging the door pretty bad. After opening the door, I realized even if I were to have gotten in through a window, I would not have been able to get to the stuck tumbler to open the door.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem, and if so, what was the outcome? Thanks for your help.
Had the same issue with my 2015 Miramar. I was on the outside with the dog and my wife was on the inside. Locked out and in! The bar that slides to open the door had broken. Called Thor then called the lock company and was told the locks actually had a two year warranty! Great, they overnighted it to me. The new lock had had some modifications made to it and it works much better.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Gaff and hpycmpr you need to call the NHTSA to report this safety hazard. The phone number is 888-327-4236. Someone is eventually going to get hurt over this issue. It has happened too many times. I have already replaced my lock so this is not for me.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:40 AM   #30

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Idaho
THOR #5564
No I leave my front window unlocked!

Mine locked me out at night while camping in Big Sur. Extensive pulling, swearing and prying eventually popped the door open. Pulled the lock apart and found a bit of broken plastic jamming things up inside, once I pulled that out the latch worked OK.

Thor and Tri Mark were useless as my 2017 29m was 14 months old. I bought a replacement on eBay, but it is just a semi improved version.

I have since contacted the company (Dexter) that actually makes the door assemblies and waiting to see if they do anything.

This could be a deadly serious safety issue so I will be reporting it to NHTSA, hopefully a recall. In the mean time I'll leave that front wind unlatched while outside.

2017 Windsport 29m
2017 Chev Colorado Crew Cab Diesel 4X4 Toad
pengoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:11 AM   #31

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
Being very unhappy with our Trimark breaking while on a trip I replaced it with a Bauer and am very happy with it. I had the same problem, seems they put the striker plate on then installed the door frame. The Bauer striker plate does have a nicer finish but aside from that appears identical. Left the old striker plate in place and everything works fine. Jim.
Did you use the Bauer EM? or EM AISentis? Those are the ones I'm seeing on the Bauer Website that looks close to the Trimark I have.
Not really looking for the electronic part of the package, but maybe the Keylock will work like regular.
Thanx,
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:36 AM   #32

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
I contacted Bauer about their door locks. The email from "Bruce" said "I am not certain about the Trimark reports about breaking. The Trimark latch is made of zinc die cast just as our EM latch. However, I will tell you we have had many people replace their Trimark 60-650 with the EM. (The AlSentis is the touch technology we use). Thank you!"

Just info the masses.

I guess if we really want a strong deadbolt, we take the Trimark apart and duplicate their bolt using good A36 steel. Lots of work, but better than zinc die cast metal.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #33

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
I used the AIS type, Amazon had them on sale for around $210. Yes it does have a zinc latch but it has a different design without the weak spot. Jim.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #34

THOR #1765
I believe the Trimark replacement 1650 now has a steel latch. It is different than the 650 and is magnetic. I have not heard of any issues with the new 1650. You can purchase it on the internet for $99. I don’t necessarily like to purchase from a company that puts out an inferior product and then won’t stand behind it - even when it is a safety issue - but it does fit right in.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #35

State: West Virginia
THOR #2027
When I put the replacement lock in, it fit in the door’s metal housing box fine, but then i learned that the box was not big enough to accommodate the turning mechanisms. I had to drill a small lateral hole in the back of the box to give enough tolerance for the rear mechanisms to move freely. Took a few minutes, but was pretty simple. Works great now.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #36

THOR #1765
Yes. I cut off the extra piece on the lock throw that they put on the new lock. It cuts right off with a hacksaw. Drilling would work too.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:34 AM   #37

Model: hurricane 34J
THOR #10777
The same thing happened to us this past weekend when camping in the desert. We have a 2015 Hurricane 34J. we were outside, and when we went to get back into the motorhome, LOCKED OUT. i climbed through the driver side window, and began to investigate. had my wife bring me my tools and i took off the inside face plate, to then see that the latch (plunger) was broken. once i got that out and unlocked the deadbolt we were able to open the door. for the rest of the trip, we just used the deadbolt lock to keep the door closed.

I am looking for the right replacement Door lock now, and have come across the Trimark 060-1650. I think this is the right one. has anyone found a BETTER replacement entrance door lock? If not, i feel that this is the only option. I was going to go with a keyless entry lock, but they are more than double in cost, and I worry about the batteries dying and then once again being locked out.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 AM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorelick78 View Post
The same thing happened to us this past weekend when camping in the desert. We have a 2015 Hurricane 34J. we were outside, and when we went to get back into the motorhome, LOCKED OUT. i climbed through the driver side window, and began to investigate. had my wife bring me my tools and i took off the inside face plate, to then see that the latch (plunger) was broken. once i got that out and unlocked the deadbolt we were able to open the door. for the rest of the trip, we just used the deadbolt lock to keep the door closed.

I am looking for the right replacement Door lock now, and have come across the Trimark 060-1650. I think this is the right one. has anyone found a BETTER replacement entrance door lock? If not, i feel that this is the only option. I was going to go with a keyless entry lock, but they are more than double in cost, and I worry about the batteries dying and then once again being locked out.
The keyless entry locks usually still have a key so that you can still get in even when the batteries are dead.

We replaced our Trimark door lock with a Bauer BP-12RV lock its a drop in replacement.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #39

THOR #6944
We started having issues with the Trimark lock just like every body else has mentioned here. This is on a 2016 Chateau. Did my research and decided to go with the digital RVLock. https://www.rvlock.com/
The difference is night and day. The door now closes quietly and smoothly. Used to sound like a jail door from a movie. Now it is comparable to a standard house door, operation smooth and love not having to run back in the house to get a key if I need to get in the coach. Punch in the code, dead bolt unlocks and your in. Leaving hold the exterior lock button down and it auto locks. Compared to Trimark this lock appears far superior, time will tell.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:34 AM   #40

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Arizona
THOR #14425
Send a message via Skype™ to JimSpy
Aaaaand.....#MeToo. Just happened this evening. Wife is looking up replacements right now, and I am feeding her the very helpful, copious information I'm gleaning from this thread.

But I have what will probably turn out to be a really stupid question: I hear many of you saying you were completely locked in or locked out. One person said she had to climb through the drivers' side window.

These are coaches, right? Not fifth wheels Or Class Bs? Why did you not simply open the cockpit door?
Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
JimSpy is offline   Reply With Quote