Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2019, 03:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Second Journey and Issues

Long post on the way,,,

We learned something on our second journey the past couple of days. A short two night stay in Waterloo CG leaving home base on Thursday. Very warm and sunny , 80’s. We get to the CG and took longer than it should to get checked in and get our site (#13 should give you a clue as to direction this is going) Pull into site and prepare for setting up. Hook up shore power, then level. This is where it starts. Hit the auto level and it was doing it’s thing, but taking longer than normal, then a loud bang and leveling stopped? WTH? Look and both rear wheels are off the ground at least 2” and right front jack half lowered. Leveling system panel says Low Voltage. Turn off/on same message. Get manual out for system, not much help. Called support and got a very helpful/patient support rep. Troubleshooting begins, asks if I have a multi meter, yessir. Checking various voltage here and there etc, me crawling under rig (I’m 60+ it’s hot and getting dizzy) finally figure no voltage going to hydraulic jack controller. So something between batteries and controller. Apparently there is normally a fused breaker between batteries and controller. Crawling again under MH and finally saw what would it be. Read off the numbers etc from it and tech guy google it as did DW (who BTW was a ‘huge’ help during this’ I crawled out from under and looked at the images google came back with and I spotted the exact breaker. Closer look at the image showed a reset lever which I saw underneath but couldn’t tell because of lighting and being upside down. Crawled underneath again and flipped it back and clicked. System is now operational again. Yay! Retracted jacks and trie auto level again,,,better but rears lifter of ground again, not as much. Retracted and tech advised manual level. We said goodbye and did a manual level for first time and turned out very close. Next slide out. Nope, went out an inch stopped. Retracted and waited for a minute and try slide out again, same deal. Another WTH. Called CG office and requested new site and they said you can move here or here. Moved to new site. Auto level was a success. Yay, run slide out. Nope same deal. Decided not to deal with it anymore as it was much past beer thirty. Well we aren’t really level by sighting things and with my level. Sounds like we need to rehome level. Will do this back home. Any rate we had tight conditions with no slide out and being inside all of Friday as it was cold and raining all day. It did quit for awhile to at least cook some brats on grill for dinner. We survived.

FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5745
The important thing is...

Well, with each problem you learn more about the rig. And most important you did not burn the brats.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
and hopefully, didn't spill any beer, (of which I always seem to knock one over, ugh)…
Old 05-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
So you found your tripped main coach battery 100 amp resettable breaker which is good. I was wondering if you were running the coach engine while you were using your jacks? Also make sure your coach batteries are fully charged.

Since you have a voltmeter it is good practice to occasionally check both coach and chassis batteries for full charge (12.65 volts unloaded) and also check them under various charging conditions....when on shore power only; when gen is running only and when engine is running only. You should see the same voltage on both battery strings after 5 minutes of charging if your battery control system is working correctly.....I assume that most coaches have some form of battery control.

Regarding the slide issue, engine should be off or the coach lockout relay will (or should) prevent the slides from working. Since you said the slide started to extend likely your engine was off OK. Did you notice one side of the slide moving more than the other (perhaps one motor not working?) before it quit? Slide controller alarms? Check the manual for reading alarms and resyncing motors.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I put one of these in an unused (blank cover) switch location on my dash. It allows me to monitor the voltage in both chassis and house batteries with a glance. I’ve learned a lot by watching them. $12 on amazon and 30 minutes to install. Both inputs are on the radio selector switch also on the dash.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that you spent too much time upside down, and under the rig....

Trust that it'll all get sorted out, and it won't hurt so bad.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #7

THOR #14057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I put one of these in an unused (blank cover) switch location on my dash. It allows me to monitor the voltage in both chassis and house batteries with a glance. I’ve learned a lot by watching them. $12 on amazon and 30 minutes to install. Both inputs are on the radio selector switch also on the dash.
Do you have a link or picture?

JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 05-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #8

THOR #14057
@javelin

Leveling-parking brake on and ignition on, then turn on leveling control panel, hit auto level. When failed I turned system off/on and got the low voltage error. I did start engine and tried again, same.

Slide-I didn’t notice if it was just one motor. I’ll have to try when level and check for alarms on controller. Parked in driveway not level and it’s cold and rainy here in MN.

JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 05-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #9

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi JJ, I “think” Pete’sMH may have been talking about the dual voltmeter unit that you can find on Amazon.com for monitoring your coach and chassis battery voltages simultaneously......with a bit of wiring, safety fusing and an on/off switch. Link below if it works:

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Dig...s%2C280&sr=8-3

Regarding the jacks, I think you are correct in that you need to reset (or set) the level setting on the jack controller as a start. I hope your slides are an easy fix when weather permits.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:59 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi JJ, I “think” Pete’sMH may have been talking about the dual voltmeter unit that you can find on Amazon.com for monitoring your coach and chassis battery voltages simultaneously......with a bit of wiring, safety fusing and an on/off switch. Link below if it works:

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Dig...s%2C280&sr=8-3

Regarding the jacks, I think you are correct in that you need to reset (or set) the level setting on the jack controller as a start. I hope your slides are an easy fix when weather permits.

Oops, it seems I forgot to include the attachment. These things come in different configurations. The one I got is this one:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	17510
Old 05-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #11

THOR #14057
@javelin and Pete’s

Thanks,

JJ