Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #6671
AGM batteries

Need to replace two 12V (wet) coach batteries. Many suggest changing to AGM. But in reading about AGM, one writer cautioned that the rate of charging from the coach system may need to be altered so as not to overcharge (and superheat) the AGM. I know nothing about electrical issues like this. Looking for advice.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
There's a ton of threads on this. Your concerns are legit. Do a search on Forum Search on "AGM" and make a pot of coffee.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I did upgrade to AGM's about a year ago (and love them). I think the converter will charge fine (AGM's are very simular to Lead Acid) BUT since many of the entry level RV's have cheap converters in them I upgraded a few months ago to a Progressive Industry converter for peice of mind.

Best thing to do (IMO) is install AGM's and make sure you check with a mutli meter what exactly what your converter is doing several time during the day then the next day. If it never seems to go into a float mode you can upgrade your converter (not very hard to install).

Plus since AGM's discharge much slower - I dont even plug it in while in storage. I would either drive my RV (with Genny on) to charge it once a month for 45 min or longer ....or plug it in for 24 hours or so. But they were never low so I could have went 3 + mo with no problem (try that Lead Acid - lol).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Buy your rig the best batteries that you can afford... and then make whatever changes may be necessary; in order to charge them properly.

Your rig will thank you for it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I sort of subscribe to the opposite theory. I will be choosing flooded/wet cell batteries from a reputable company and plan to replace them every 3 or 4 years. It’ll cost less. I drive and run my generator for an hour a month if I don’t use the coach and have a hard disconnect on both house and chassis batteries. OE batteries going on 4 years now and probably will replace all three this spring for about $350. Works for me.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Check the converter / charger information for your unit. My Outlaw 29H has a WFCO converter / charger and their documentation says the charger supports lead-acid or AGM batteries.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:09 AM   #7

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Thanks to all

I was finally able to reach a Thor service rep and confirmed that our 2017 Thor Quantum PD31's charging configuration will support either wet or AGM batteries - but not lithium. Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Just got back from Batteries Plus and bought upgraded flooded batteries for house and chassis. $360 out the door for two golf cart batteries and a sealed group 65 for the chassis. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I’m happy.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations! Please let us know how they work out for you!
Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Just got back from Batteries Plus and bought upgraded flooded batteries for house and chassis. $360 out the door for two golf cart batteries and a sealed group 65 for the chassis. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I’m happy.
Sounds like a fair deal...Thats all that matters.... That your happy (well that your wife is happy first... you come in 2nd) LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post

I'll drink tea to that!! I've got to buy 2 6V's pretty soon for the house replacement. I'll go with flooded also. MH stays plugged in 100% of the time at home. For me, no need to spend the extra on AGM's. $360 not bad at all.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11266
I've been kicking around the flooded vs AGM, too. Don't need to replace them now, but I want to know what I want when I need it. We are also always plugged it at home. I suppose the only advantage to AGM then would be the slower discharge rate while bookdocking? But not sure that matters much travelling so much in the south. With 7-8 months a year needing ACs running. Still need to run genny for that.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1965 View Post
Need to replace two 12V (wet) coach batteries. Many suggest changing to AGM. But in reading about AGM, one writer cautioned that the rate of charging from the coach system may need to be altered so as not to overcharge (and superheat) the AGM. I know nothing about electrical issues like this. Looking for advice.
Highly doubt the stock cables and converter/charger in any non-premium RV can produce enough amps to hurt 2 AGM's.

BTW, Sams has a good deal on AGM's.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
When my batteries need replacing: it'll be AGMs for sure...
(Less worry over water levels...)
Old 05-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #15

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
I've been kicking around the flooded vs AGM, too. Don't need to replace them now, but I want to know what I want when I need it. We are also always plugged it at home. I suppose the only advantage to AGM then would be the slower discharge rate while bookdocking? But not sure that matters much travelling so much in the south. With 7-8 months a year needing ACs running. Still need to run genny for that.
Lots of advantages to AGM's and only one disadvantage = Price.

If you have the money IMO you wont be disapppointed in AGM's. Esp TWO 6 volts.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #16

Model: Challenger GT
State: Washington
THOR #4517
Our 2016 Challenger came with 2 no-name (read cheap) Flooded Lead Acid batteries. We replaced them with 4 Lifeline GPL-6CT AGM.

This significantly increased our ability to run off the batteries. Before we had around 5 hours just running the residential fridge and other minor draws. Now we can go for 24 hours with a full house load (fridge, lights, TV, Computers, phone recharging, etc.), basically everything except A/C and Microwave. Currently we recharge these AGM batteries from shore power, the generator or the engine alternator. In the future we plan to put in some solar panels.

As a word of caution, before you purchase new batteries, especially lead batteries that have to be positioned right side up, check your battery storage compartment to make sure that they will fit. We totally lucked out here and our new batteries just squeezed into the available vertical space.

Link is: http://lifelinebatteries.com/product...eries/gpl-6ct/

Battery Monitor

We also installed a Victron BMV-702 with a Blue Tooth dongle.

We love this thing. It monitors draw and recharge, has high/low voltage alarms, 30 day history of batteries and more. What’s great is that with the Blue Tooth Adaptor we can read all this data from our cell phones.

Link is: https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-700

No regrets on either purchase.