Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
AGM battery suggestion

I’ve got to replace my 4 Interstate GC2 flooded batteries. I found some AGM on amazon that I’m thinking about using.

VMAX V6-225 6 Volt 225Ah Group GC2 AGM Deep Cycle Battery. Capacity: 225Ah; Energy: 1.55kWH; Reserve Capacity: 500min

They’re close to the same physical size. They’re higher AH and more RC.
Anyone use these? Good decision?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAF0F902-2DBA-4A67-B1FE-D2604C44CADA.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	21776  

Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How expensive are they?
Old 12-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

THOR #17154
They’re $280 each. Just under 3 times what the Interstate flooded cost.

While I could get the Costco GC2s for about $90, I do like the lack of maintenance required. And I think they’re made in the US (waiting on a response about origin).

If you’re aware of a better deal, I’d love to hear about it. I’ve been looking and researching so much that I’m wrapped around the axel and getting lost. So please, if you know of a better deal that’ll work, I’m all ears!
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 12-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There are a bunch of other good ones that are worth a peek:
Trojan and Fall River come quickly to mind...
Old 12-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m delighted to see choices like this in the market. I’m still in the cheap is better camp. I buy the $90 kind and just replace them every 3 years but I’ll keep learning and maybe I’ll move into the 21st century one of these days.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:06 AM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
agreed, I don't see any benefit in 'prepaying' 3 or 4 times the amount that you can spend on GC2 flooded batteries, like the DURACELL brand at Sams Club or Batteries + Bulbs stores.

why do folks want to spend so little on an RV, yet want to turn right around and 'overspend' on batteries and other stuff? I think it's easy to get 'caught up' in the RVing lure, seeing what 'others' have', and being convinced that somehow what 'came' with the RV in the first place is somehow 'substandard'.

If you buy a Prevost, I would agree that spending whatever you wish on batteries can be financially warranted, but when we have a entry level RV it might be prudent to stay on the same path when it comes to all the 'extras', 'accessories', and 'replacements' we think we need.

For some reason, too, flooded 'lead acid' batteries that we've all grew up with, probably have in every vehicle we own, is suddenly somehow 'less than good' for our RV.... Flooded batteries have proven to be the most financially beneficial batteries for the House power that we need when off-grid. Solar power, AGM and LioN batteries, and such can be very appealing, but sometimes not the benefit, for the long-term, that they may be 'sold' as... and, if 'watering' flooded batteries is such a chore, most folks probably don't need to be RVing, since there is a lot of work in going camping! : ) Happy RVing!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's similar to putting together a stereo system: scrimp on anything but the speakers.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:52 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I've been thinking about AGMs cause I'm tired of checking and cleaning the battery compartment on my Hurricane. Someone on this forum turned me on to Boeshield and it helps with the cleaning, but the watering is taxing. On my last coach with the batts under the steps, I never considered it as the compartment was easily accessed and made of a composite material that didn't corrode. My Hurricane battery compartment already has corrosion that has perforated the bottom. I had to patch it and install trays. The AGMs may be a sound investment to prevent future damage and let me keep this entry level coach a few years longer.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:50 AM   #9

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I've been thinking about AGMs cause I'm tired of checking and cleaning the battery compartment on my Hurricane. Someone on this forum turned me on to Boeshield and it helps with the cleaning, but the watering is taxing. On my last coach with the batts under the steps, I never considered it as the compartment was easily accessed and made of a composite material that didn't corrode. My Hurricane battery compartment already has corrosion that has perforated the bottom. I had to patch it and install trays. The AGMs may be a sound investment to prevent future damage and let me keep this entry level coach a few years longer.
I ordered 2 12v 125ah agm tonight.
A bit more expensive - but I thought about the maintenance. I know - but there’s going to be enough work. I’d like to be able to just “set it and forget it..”
Old 12-11-2019, 04:08 AM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I ordered 2 12v 125ah agm tonight.
.......cut......
I’m curious why you decided to go from 4 batteries down to 2?

I’m guessing the new ones are a little larger (higher capacity) but that total battery capacity is reduced significantly. I’m not implying 250 Amp-hours isn’t enough, just curious about what drove the change.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:59 AM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
AGMs

I still like the idea that I don't check water levels, same as today's cars for the most part and the corrosion issue goes away. AGM is it for me and I also have them in my 1965 Chevy truck for the same reasons. To each his/her own...
Old 12-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #12

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m curious why you decided to go from 4 batteries down to 2?

I’m guessing the new ones are a little larger (higher capacity) but that total battery capacity is reduced significantly. I’m not implying 250 Amp-hours isn’t enough, just curious about what drove the change.
Yep - they’re a bit larger. I’m also thinking, hopefully correctly, that with AGM I can use them more than the flooded before they go below the threshold. My thinking is that with the originals, at 410 AH, I could go 205 hours before damage. With agm you can below the 50%, correct?

Either way, they’re on the way and hopefully I didn’t make a bad decision...
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 12-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
One thing is for sure: we'll all want to know how the two setups compare.
Good luck!
Old 12-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Yep - they’re a bit larger. I’m also thinking, hopefully correctly, that with AGM I can use them more than the flooded before they go below the threshold. My thinking is that with the originals, at 410 AH, I could go 205 hours before damage. With agm you can below the 50%, correct?

You didn’t say what brand you got, but for the most part AGM and flooded can be discharged about the same as long as they are true deep cycle. Performance cycle life versus depth of discharge curves from manufacturers sometimes favor the flooded.

Regardless, since you mentioned in other thread you usually stay in campgrounds and don’t plan to boondock much, that much battery capacity should be fine anyway as long as you take care of them.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
One thing is for sure: we'll all want to know how the two setups compare.
Good luck!
Let me save you the anticipation — new batteries work better than dead ones.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:

The 50% of full charge draw down is for a cycle life of 400 times for flooded batteries. With flooded batteries, you can go lower but the number of cycles decreases. Each battery manufacture does publish the table for their battery life. An AGM deep cycle will stand discharges down to 20% of a full charge, but you will still reduce the cycle life for the batteries. The charts show if you only draw flooded batteries down 20% of a full charge, they will last nearly indefinitely assuming they remain fully charged between cycles. It is a fact the flooded batteries deteriorate faster than AGMs given the same circumstances.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Let me save you the anticipation — new batteries work better than dead ones.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
It really comes down to time and money for me. Given the cost of cleaning and replacing cables plus the maintenance of adding water that is most likely a wash per some of the other posters. My situation is the following:

1. I don't like the corrosion or hydrogen gas effervescing during peak usage
2. Battery cables and terminals take a beating and ultimately have to be replaced
3. Time required to pull batteries, clean, and repaint cabinet
4. Voltage loss when setting for a few weeks

For those reason I chose Trojan T105 AGMs and is the best money I have ever spent on my camping equipment over the past 60 years

Same goes for my newer Fords, the AGM's are simply a better way to go and apparently Ford thought so or they wouldn't be OEM

I will spend my time on other maintenance aspects or simply relaxing
Old 12-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Cost versus convenience... and convenience wins!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post

Same goes for my newer Fords, the AGM's are simply a better way to go and apparently Ford thought so or they wouldn't be OEM

I will spend my time on other maintenance aspects or simply relaxing
My 2009 VW Jetta TDI DSG came with group H7 AGM battery which lasted for 8 years. My VW dealer replaced it with a like battery for $169. Both of my Corvairs have Optimas (Group 24 and Group 51R), but my Hurricane has sealed VRLA batteries but not AGMs.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote