Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
Microwave Removal

The Whirlpool Convection Microwave in our Thor MH stopped working or heating in the Confection mode. So need to remove it for either repair or replacement. Question is how does it come out?

One video said it has two screws above it but in our Thor I do not see any screws in the cabinet over it. So anyone have any experience with removing and or replacing theirs?

Old 01-13-2021, 09:36 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We have different units but mine does have screws like a typical Microwave, so no help but double check if you haven't already. It is a Whirlpool and luckily it still works great
Old 01-13-2021, 10:22 PM   #3

THOR #1403
Thanks for the response. I will check again as it seems only logical there are the screws in the above cabinet holding it up in place. It has the DirecTV stuff in the cabinet above the Microwave so will remove it all to find the screws I cant find feeling around with all that stuff in there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210113_145737.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	28048  
Old 01-13-2021, 10:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
RV builders are famous for hiding screws behind/underneath false walls/bottoms that are stapled in place. But before I went to that extreme I would look very carefully at that panel on the oven above the door to see it it doesn't snap off in some way exposing mounting screws. Also, if you know your make/model; google it for a manual which may show how it's installed.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:10 AM   #5

THOR #1403
Tis so true. We had a water leak under the refrigerator and had to find out the hard way the molding was all screwed in from behind as they make everything in modules outside. That makes working on things so difficult and unlike in a house
We also had to deal with Thor no longer having the matching color woodwork replacement parts for our 2015 Challenger. They said go find a wood worker.
They billed this Challenger as a full timers home but that was a false sales pitch. The infamous magnet test for a steal plate behind every screw also proved to be false for us.
We got the W&D hook up and had to remove the units for repair and parts replacement which also was a hardship for the above reasons. They clearly did not make the RV convenient for DIY repairs.
Here is another look at the cabinet above our microwave and I have to assume it too is screwed in from behind so finding the screws holding the Microwave is a DIY nightmare and or costly service bill it seems. the screws as you said might be under a false bottom?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet Above.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	28049  
Old 01-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #6

Model: Majestic 23A
State: Missouri
THOR #20977
Perhaps that piece above the door that says "Whirlpool" pops off and the screw or attachment is behind that?
Old 01-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Every microwave I have ever installed has two mounting points. The first is a bracket that mounts on the wall and holds the bulk of the weight as the microwave rests on it. The second mounting point are two screws at the top.

You will need to remove the false bottom of the above cabinet if the two screws are not exposed there. Remove all the DirecTV stuff and take a good look. If you don't see the two screws towards the very front of the bottom, then look for staples or small finishin nails that would be holding the bottom in place.

Once the screws are removed, the unit should be able to tilt forward and lifted slightly to remove it from the wall bracket.

You should be able to download the specific install instuctions for your model from the Whirlpool site.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #8

THOR #1403
As said not very long after we bought this 2015 Thor Challenger (as for getting replacement parts) and the promise we could order any replacement parts needed, we were informed by Thor they no longer carried the exact cabinet stain color so had no cabinet or molding parts to match our interior. The reality fact that everything is screwed in from behind as they build it out side the MH then install it makes getting access as needed a major chore and then with no exact matching molding or anything with the cabinet interior available for replacement. So we end up with a white elephant now it seems with a Convection Microwave that no longer performs as a convection oven just a Microwave
Thanks again for all the great insights with the Microwave, I do appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #9

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops R View Post
As said not very long after we bought this 2015 Thor Challenger (as for getting replacement parts) and the promise we could order any replacement parts needed, we were informed by Thor they no longer carried the exact cabinet stain color so had no cabinet or molding parts to match our interior. The reality fact that everything is screwed in from behind as they build it out side the MH then install it makes getting access as needed a major chore and then with no exact matching molding or anything with the cabinet interior available for replacement. So we end up with a white elephant now it seems with a Convection Microwave that no longer performs as a convection oven just a Microwave
Thanks again for all the great insights with the Microwave, I do appreciate it.

These are "standard" residential appliances so that is actually a good thing. Thor could not 'screw' the back of the microwave / oven to the slide wall without damaging the unit.

I would bet the house that it is being held up to the slide wall with this bracket. The bracket will be screwed into the slide wall but not the unit itself.

I know for a vertainty that there are false bottoms in these cabinets because wiring for lights, etc. run through them. I still say take out all of the Direct TV stuff and look at the bottom to see if there are any staples or nails holding it down. Now they could have glued it down..... that would suck but it wouldn't surprise me either. If you had to damage the fale bottom to get it out, at least it would be in an area with little visibiity. Once you got acces to the two screws and replaced the oven, you could repair the bottom and put the DirecTV stuff back in to cover it all.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #10

THOR #12751
Here are the Whirlpool mounting instructions I found online. It illustrates exactly what I was talking about from a mounting perspectve.

The other thing to look for is the power cord. The power cord for the unit would need to come up from the back of the unit, go though the false bottom of the cabinet and then to a standard AC outlet in the cabinet above or adacent to the oven. The opening for the power cord should reveal the false bottom.

The two screws (one on each side of the front of the oven) would be under the false bottom. Once you get access and remove them, the microwave would tip forward and then you can lift the back of it off the mounting bracket I posted the picture for above and then pull it straight out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf installation-instructions-W10217688-RevA.pdf (256.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 01-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #11

THOR #12751
Here are some links that explain how to remove the false bottoms. A couple are even related to removing the microwave.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...val-65936.html

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...rds-11394.html

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ave-70814.html

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/fo...p?topic=4403.0
Old 01-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Judge is correct in removing the microwave. They are attached with a rear mounting bracket to the wall support. Two screws hold the front in place. They are installed the same as residential units. The bottom of the cabinet will need to be removed to expose the two front holding screws. Once those two front screws are removed, you can tilt the front down and lift the entire unit up off the rear mounting bracket. It helps to have a friend while doing this process since it is bulky and heavy.

Paul
Old 01-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #13

THOR #1403
All very good info. Much appreciated
Old 01-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York