Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Siesta 24ST
State: Ohio
THOR #15089
Air conditioner just stopped

We're out for a few days at a FHU campground on a hot, humid day, and last night the air conditioner, a Dometic Penguin II 13.5k, which had been working normally, shut off just as the temperature reached the thermostat set temperature. At first I thought it just went off because it reached the right temperature, but it never came back on, even after an eight degree rise. Also, it seemed odd to me that both the compressor and the fan had stopped, even though I had it set on "low" instead of auto, and the fan should have continued to run.

Went through all of the normal checks, circuit breaker, main breaker, even turned off and on the 12v switch so the firefly tablet screen would recycle. No luck. When I turn the a/c on from the tablet screen, there's an audible "click" from the a/c, but nothing else. All other 120ac appliances work normally.

Is there some fuse or breaker up in the a/c unit itself? Or do I cut the trip short and head for a dealer? It is still under warranty. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Sounds like you have verified your AC power is good and I see you have a newer coach (2018) so its “less likely” (but not impossible) that A/C filters are plugged or something has failed in the A/C unit itself to shut it down (protection circuit). The A/C compressor control relay in the ceiling under/near the A/C unit sounds like it is operating (or perhaps you are hearing the “thermostat click”.....which actually turns on the compressor control relay?).
Then I read Firefly control system. I think Firefly had some A/C issues with their software in various 2018 coaches ....but if I recall it was A/C not turning off. I would suggest contacting Firefly and describe your issue and let them know what version S/W you have on your system. This might be a simple S/W upgrade fix......and even if does not repair this issue, it is good to have the most current Firefly versions. Might prevent other weird things from the Firefly system down the road.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #3

Model: 2018 Siesta 24ST
State: Ohio
THOR #15089
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Old 05-29-2020, 01:52 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Suggest you go topside and open the A/C unit cover. A nearby rig in a campground had a huge wasp nest blocking the fan from turning. After wasps removed, A/C worked again.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:17 AM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
How did you check the Circuit breakers. Do you have a volt meter? Did you turn them OFF then ON ?
Old 05-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Just confirming you have a FireFly Panel....

I started having A/C issues with both the units on my 2020 Magnitude recently. After troubleshooting on my own and then with FireFly I determine it is a FireFly issue.

I am able to correct the problem by recycling the 12v power so the FireFly Panel reboots. It is simple to do and it temporarily corrects my issues every time.

If you are on shore power, turn the breaker off to the Converter and then flip the Use/Store switch to "Store" so there is no power going to the Panel. If you aren't plugged into shore power, not need to turn the breaker off to the Converter. Then restore your 12V power and check your A/C.

I have an appointment for some warranty work and they are going to replace the G7 main board for the FireFly system.

Here are some of the things both of my A/C have been doing and these always occur after the A/C was working normally:

- Compressors run but fans do not
- Fans run but compressors do not
- Either or both units unresponsive to Thermostat control

When any of these issued occur, if I reboot the panel by power cycling the 12v, it solves the problem every time and the A/C works normally...... until it happens again.

I am on Firmware v6.14 and that was supposed to be a good version so FireFly things I have a bad main board.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Just confirming you have a FireFly Panel....

I started having A/C issues with both the units on my 2020 Magnitude recently. After troubleshooting on my own and then with FireFly I determine it is a FireFly issue.

I am able to correct the problem by recycling the 12v power so the FireFly Panel reboots. It is simple to do and it temporarily corrects my issues every time.

If you are on shore power, turn the breaker off to the Converter and then flip the Use/Store switch to "Use" so there is no power going to the Panel. If you aren't plugged into shore power, not need to turn the breaker off to the Converter. Then restore your 12V power and check your A/C.

I have an appointment for some warranty work and they are going to replace the G7 main board for the FireFly system.

Here are some of the things both of my A/C have been doing and these always occur after the A/C was working normally:

- Compressors run but fans do not
- Fans run but compressors do not
- Either or both units unresponsive to Thermostat control

When any of these issued occur, if I reboot the panel by power cycling the 12v, it solves the problem every time and the A/C works normally...... until it happens again.

I am on Firmware v6.14 and that was supposed to be a good version so FireFly things I have a bad main board.
I think you mean "store"
Old 05-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I think you mean "store"
Yep..... sorry.... corrected my typo.