Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
Oil change in a generator

I have a 2017 Thor Synergy Diesel with a 3.2 KW Cummins Onan diesel generator, Model HDZAA. Has anyone changed the oil in this generator and if so, do you know the size wrench needed for the oil drain valve cap. To open the drain cap, do you push the wrench towards the unit, or do you pull the wrench away from the generator and towards yourself. My drain valve seems very tight and I cannot remove it. Any help will certainly be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 10-21-2018, 04:10 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
i have a similar question too. checked my oil and it's on the low side. 51 hours i was going to do a preemptive oil change on it. Onan 4000
Old 10-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
i have a similar question too. checked my oil and it's on the low side. 51 hours i was going to do a preemptive oil change on it. Onan 4000
If this is the Onan QG 4000 you need to do an oil change at 50 hours. That's the break in period. What question do you have about that oil change procedure?
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
If this is the Onan QG 4000 you need to do an oil change at 50 hours. That's the break in period. What question do you have about that oil change procedure?
Actually on the gas 4000 the break in period is 20 hours for the first oil change. It surprised me coming from a diesel.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephC View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Synergy Diesel with a 3.2 KW Cummins Onan diesel generator, Model HDZAA. Has anyone changed the oil in this generator and if so, do you know the size wrench needed for the oil drain valve cap. To open the drain cap, do you push the wrench towards the unit, or do you pull the wrench away from the generator and towards yourself. My drain valve seems very tight and I cannot remove it. Any help will certainly be appreciated. Thank you!
No help yet with your model of generator. I had a quick look at the manual to assist you as cummins normally specifies the wrench size. The drain plug is not under the unit but on the side on your genny. You and the manual mention "cap" and the manual's picture does not show it, so it does not sound like there is a drain plug but actual cap.
From your question, I don't mean to be smart but it would depend on where you place the wrench. If on the top then pull the wrench towards you, if underneath push away. Always remember, "righty tighty, lefty loosey" when looked at from an analog clock perspective.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
Actually on the gas 4000 the break in period is 20 hours for the first oil change. It surprised me coming from a diesel.
You are correct. I mis-typed that. I have changed the oil in my QG 4000 a couple times if Diemaster needs some info.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #7

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Peterrrr is spot on correct. Look on Utube for a video on oil changes for your particular generator. It will show where the drain plug or cap is located, not always on the bottom as Peterrrr stated.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #8

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
A diesel generator may have entirely different recommendations as to when and how often. Some have oil filters, while others do not. You'll need to refer to the specific specs for your make and model genny.