Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Massachusetts
THOR #23757
Air Vent + Vent Cover + Water Leaks?

Hello,

In November we purchased a 2018 Thor ACE, We love it! We took it out on a VERY rainy and windy day and the roof vent started to leak over our bed.

We have a roof vent and a roof vent cover. Is the connection between the vent and the RV supposed to be waterproof, or was the roof vent the protection?

My question is: Do I have a problem with a broken roof or was the wind + rain more than the RV was designed to handle?

Thank You

Old 06-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
First..... roof vents, A/C units and anything else mounted on or into the roof should be and need to be waterproof. If you are getting water in around the vent when the vent hatch is closed, it is a problem and could be serious.

Here is the way it works.....

A hole is cut into the roof for the vent. The vent components are installed and then Dicor sealant is put around the vent mounting point and the roof membrane (see the picture below) to seal the area and make it water proof. The vent cover does not seal around the base. It mounts to the vent housing and just allows the vent hatch to be open in the rain.

RV roofs need to be inspected periodically (once or twice a year depending on climate) and the Dicor sealant checked for shrinking, cracking or peeling that could allow for water intrusion. You then clean suspect areas and add Dicor to maintain the sealing.

I do not use this approach.... when I buy a coach I clean the roof and the Dicor and then apply EternaBond tape on top of the Dicor and every seam, joint or moutning point on the roof. I make sure the EternaBond tape overlaps the Dicor with the roof membrane..... and the side of a vent (for example).

I never have to worry about regular roof maintenance after sealing everything with Eternabond..... other than cleaning the roof once a year.

If your vent hatch is closed and you get water in the coach from around the vent, then the Dicor is bad and not sealing properly. This means you now have water getting under the roof membrane and into the wood. If this is occuring regularly and the wood cannot dry out, it will rot and you will have bigger problems.

Now it could be as simple as you did not have the vent hatch completely closed and the wind and rain were heavy enough that it just got under the vent hatch. There could also be a crack in the vent hatch plastic but that should be visible from inside the coach. But if you are sure the vent hatch was completely closed and water is getting in during heavy rain and wind, you probably have a sealing problem.

You need to get on the roof and inspect it to see what is going on. At the very least you need to be adding some new Dicor or removing bad Dicor and puttng down a fresh coat. If you don't know what you are doing or what to look for, you may want to have the roof inspected by an RV expert to make sure you don't have any roof damage developing.

Regardless..... your coach is 4 years old and you don't know how well it was maintained before you bought it. You live in Mass. so your coach goes through freeze - thaw cycles. You need to be inspecting your roof twice a year and doing Dicor maintenance... unless you go the EternaBond tape route like I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 6.41.08 AM.png
Views:	75
Size:	835.4 KB
ID:	31203  
Old 06-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #3

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
OP when you say vent and vent cover, by cover are you talking about an added raised up extra section that supposedly allows the vent to be open "rain or shine" as they advertise. If that's the cover you are referring, it is not sealed to the roof typically, just clips on, and depending on how much rain and wind, and wind direction, rain can easily get in if the vent is open.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoBear View Post
Hello,

In November we purchased a 2018 Thor ACE, We love it! We took it out on a VERY rainy and windy day and the roof vent started to leak over our bed.

We have a roof vent and a roof vent cover. Is the connection between the vent and the RV supposed to be waterproof, or was the roof vent the protection?

My question is: Do I have a problem with a broken roof or was the wind + rain more than the RV was designed to handle?

Thank You
Nobody on this forum can answer your question because they are not there to go on the roof to check it out. You need to climb on the roof to look or take it to someone that can.