Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Airing tires

Any tricks to putting air in rear duals. It is a pain in the you know what. Everyone says don't put extensions on.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Any tricks to putting air in rear duals. It is a pain in the you know what. Everyone says don't put extensions on.
My Challenger owner's manual changed in regards to valve stem extensions. The manual (dated 2012) that I was provided with the coach at purchase stated that Thor does not recommend using valve stem extensions. The updated manual (dated 2014) I received upon request states that if using extensions "make sure they are good quality stainless steel braid reinforced, and are securely anchored to the outer wheel"

Unaware of the change in the manual I had my selling dealer install extenders on my inside duals and the set they installed sold for 90.00 inside their parts department. At the time I felt that if extensions were good for a 22.5 chassis on a Tuscany they were good for the same tires on the 22.5 chassis on a Challenger. The dealer installed them and my vent covers at no cost to me.

I have put approx. 2000 miles on the coach and haven't lost a pound of air.

I will say that my prior Class C had extensions installed by Forest River and it was a royal pain filling those tires. The extensions they installed were not air hose friendly and only certain types of air chucks could put air in the tires. These extensions were the angled and straight type you can but at any run of the mill auto parts store.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
The extensions on mine came from thor, and they are a pain in the neck
Just like Dave mentioned above, they are positioned so as to be really picky about getting the chuck engaged. Only a very few will even work.

Also, I had a problem with leaks, so eventually I removed the extensions from the inner wheel.... done with the help of my 9 year old's small hands.... in a cracker barrel parking lot
Now I can get a straight chuck on easily, but I can't get a dust cap on since the holes in the simulators are a bit too small. A lot of the problems are because of the wheel simulators btw....

My outers still have the hooked extensions in place, although one has a habit of swing around 180 degrees from the desired position so that I have to reach in the small hole and swing it back to get at it.

Honestly, i have been a bit indecisive as to what i want to do.... my thoughts are;

1) enlarge the holes in the wheel simulators so that a hand can get in there (this will almost certainly bugger up the chrome and not look good)

2) install a Crossfire unit ( which are not designed to mount to simulators, so a modification ...ie hole... will be required). I'm concerned that this will add another potential leak just as the now removed extensions did.... although many folks use them succesfully Crossfire - Dual Dynamics

&/or 3) install a TPMS

Honestly, what i'd like to do is to do both 1 & 2, and follow up with 3 later (only to minimize the money going out all at once)
Old 04-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #4

THOR #908
reareading the OP, I would actually say that it's not that bad with the right chuck and when using only the wheel. It's the smaller holes in my chrome wheel simulators that make it a PITA

I used to do it quite a bit on an old work truck with steel wheels, and it's no big deal with the right chuck.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Here are some pictures of my wheel with extenders.

My current coach does not have simulators since it has aluminum wheels, however, the extenders are mounted to the chrome hub cover using an L bracket and bolt.

This configuration makes it extremely easy for me to check pressures and there are no problems with the valve stems or extenders accepting air using a variety of chucks.

My next step will be the addition of a TPMS in the not too distant future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire valve 1.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire valve 2.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	368  

FMCA - F432054
Old 04-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #6

THOR #908
now that's how it should be
One reason I like that crossfire system is it would get the schrader valve out like yours is.....
Old 04-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #7

THOR #992
dstankov did those come on your coach or did you install them?
Old 04-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
dstankov did those come on your coach or did you install them?
The dealer installed them, at my request and their cost, prior to me taking delivery of the coach. The dealers parts store sold the kit for around 90.00. Another dealer's parts store has the kits for around 75.00.

Since these are dealer installed and comply with the recommendation in the owner's manual there are no warranty issues.

I will note that I could have installed them if the dealer refused but since they didn't refuse and it was a condition of sale I let them do the installation. I got my vent and fantastic fan covers the same way (condition of sale and they install).
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #9

THOR #992
Do you know what brand they used I hear a lot of them are not very good.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Do you know what brand they used I hear a lot of them are not very good.
I am not positive, however, looking in the dealer's parts catalog they appear to sell Dicor. It also appears that Dicor makes a set specifically designed for the wheel simulators used some motorhomes.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-16-2015, 12:17 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
I've got extenders on my rear duals that were installed by Thor. I've got 13000 miles on my coach in the last year (including two tire rotations) and haven't had any problems.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:13 AM   #12

THOR #992
Are they braided or solid. I am ready to install something.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Quote:
Are they braided or solid. I am ready to install something.

Mine are braided.