Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #15962
Alignment

Well here we go. I bought a Palazzo 36.3 brand new from camping world on the 10th of July. It was pulling to the right when I drove it off down the highway. Hmmm. I talked to dealer about it and was told they can't do anything because alignment is your problem??? Ok. Sounds bad. Took it to Freightliner and 520 bucks later after realigning front and rear that was out if wack it still pulls to the left. Back to Freightliner to fix. They rotated the tires when they aligned it because it still pulled to the right. Today they said there rotating the tires again and test drive??? Has anybody else had issues with the steering on there homes?

Old 09-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Yes I think there were some threads on that topic. Log in and do an enhanced search with your key words and see what pops up......one link attached FYI.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...sue-18089.html
Old 09-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
..."I talked to dealer about it and was told they can't do anything because alignment is your problem"...

The link above references an issue the buyer found prior to purchase...amazing how much more attention you get before handing over the money! You did test drive it before purchase, right?

This is one more example of the "character change of dealers" before and after a sale.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Not all dealers. Mine was very upfront about it telling me that I should do it before our first trip. Also there was a Thor sticker In the cab advising that is was my responsibility. It’s just one of many things that a new owner needs to address and spend money on.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #5

THOR #11130
Or...negotiate that in the price. Before the sale, they will do most anything.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Not all dealers. Mine was very upfront about it telling me that I should do it before our first trip. Also there was a Thor sticker In the cab advising that is was my responsibility. It’s just one of many things that a new owner needs to address and spend money on.
Can you take a pic of that sticker?. Mine didn't say it was "my responsibility" just that it should be realigned.

Thor found a way to blame it on Ford and rightfully so Ford said "nope" the RV manufacturer screwed up the alignment so we are stuck with it. What auto manufacturer sends a unit out not in alignment? A crappy business practice but not much we can do about it.
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #7

THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Or...negotiate that in the price. Before the sale, they will do most anything.
Thats the solution there
Old 09-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
Can you take a pic of that sticker?. Mine didn't say it was "my responsibility" just that it should be realigned.

Thor found a way to blame it on Ford and rightfully so Ford said "nope" the RV manufacturer screwed up the alignment so we are stuck with it. What auto manufacturer sends a unit out not in alignment? A crappy business practice but not much we can do about it.
Ford sends out a chassis not a complete vehicle. Thats what they sell to Thor. Thor piles on weight, changes balance and in some cases length. How could Ford align for those conditions. Best option is like stated previously, negotiate with dealer for a completed alignment at time of purchase. NO ALIGNMENT NO DEAL.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:50 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Alignment was part of our purchase agreement. They agreed to have the alignment performed and the print-out would be given to me at delivery. That way, I knew I was at least starting out with somewhat straight steering. Now I have added Safety Plus, Helwig sway bars and several road miles in the past year and a half. I plan to have another alignment at the end of the year. So far, it is still driving in a straight path.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:18 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Same with mine. The sticker is visible along with 3 or 4 others on the wall next to the drivers seat. The salesman was quick to point it out, and since I always get an alignment after loading a new coach, it didn't mean anything to me.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:56 AM   #11

THOR #12484
My post was confusing. Thor should be responsible for aligning these coaches after all the alterations, not Ford and not the consumer
Old 09-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #12

THOR #11130
Quote:
My post was confusing. Thor should be responsible for aligning these coaches after all the alterations, not Ford and not the consumer

True...at least the front end. The "two axle" alignment isn't necessary as the chassis' are built in a jig and the rear axles should be perfect. Business opportunity...open a new RV only quick alignment shop somewhere near all the plants...discount the rate...offer pick up and delivery...sell the business and retire in 5 years.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 PM   #13

THOR #15962
Well it Seems that the front still has problems. The service place it's at (Horwith Trucking Service) are doing the best at what could be wrong. They have been very friendly and constantly informing me on what they are doing. Right now they are going to have to tear into the gear box and do some tests to find what is going on. This could be a blessing in disguise as I was going down the road and the gear box totally failed. Which I doubt but still. I sent Freightliner a email and still haven't heard back from them about this problem. That was Tuesday as I had to have alignment done. Now I have another problem as a sensor on my PDF was bad. They replaced it and when road testing the steering light came back on. They are thinking wire short somewhere. Since July 10 when I bought it, it has been in the repair shops more than I have had a chance to use it. I write on this site for two reasons. Inform those that are thinking about buying, trading in for a new home ( like me) that you run the home thru the wringer, test everything out, don't let that guy who's showing the home rush it. It's a lot if money on the line buying and later like I'm going thru. Its costing me because I thought I was buying a great product. I did research and I like this unit. Second reason is Thor reads these posts. I'm hoping someone reading this will do the right thing and help me out. I personally should not be having all these issues on a brand new unit. I should be enjoying my new home traveling camping visiting etc etc not waiting for it to come out of a shop just to go back in soon to fix a windshield leak that's been over two months in and out of the shop. If I just park the unit on a site and use it it's a beautiful machine. Fully loaded with great interior design. As for driving down the road. Well you know.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #14

THOR #6826
Quote:

Don’t have my Freedom Elite anymore so can’t take the photo. It was also in the owners manual - quite clearly as I recall. Thor claims that loading the machine by the owner will affect the alignment and therefore it can’t be done except by the owner. Personally, I don’t think loading would alter the alignment but that was the reason given in the owners manual. And who knows, maybe 2,000 lbs of stuff changes things?
Old 09-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #15

THOR #15962
I find it unbelievable that loading your home Knocks the alignment out. That means every time a truck loads up he has to stop to get aligned. Yeah right. My Thor sits on a Freightliner Chassis they are working on still to this day. We are at putting shims on the idler or pitman bar depending on the one I have to raise it up to a 6.0 vs 5.6?? This coming from FCCC to see if it stops moving to left. If not a box change. Unfortunately I'm at the stage of what FCCC tells the service dept what to do to cover it under warranty. If I was paying for it I would want a new front end. I'm at the point I want a new home. As all the problems keep stacking up.
Quote:
Don’t have my Freedom Elite anymore so can’t take the photo. It was also in the owners manual - quite clearly as I recall. Thor claims that loading the machine by the owner will affect the alignment and therefore it can’t be done except by the owner. Personally, I don’t think loading would alter the alignment but that was the reason given in the owners manual. And who knows, maybe 2,000 lbs of stuff changes things?
Old 09-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #16

Model: chateau 23U
THOR #1241
Caveat emptor !

Yep, been there! I even added a condition in the purchase contract that the dealer was to confirm proper balance and alignment. Upon delivery, he assumed I'd be so eager that I'd just pay and drive away, like at McDonald's drive-through. Not so.

We took a drive together and both were (way) off. I asked if he'd checked these items and (as Gomer Pyle says, "Surprise, surprise!") he said they missed that. (Excuse 9B in the RV salesperson's manual).

I got them both taken care of and THEN paid for the burgers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
..."I talked to dealer about it and was told they can't do anything because alignment is your problem"...

The link above references an issue the buyer found prior to purchase...amazing how much more attention you get before handing over the money! You did test drive it before purchase, right?

This is one more example of the "character change of dealers" before and after a sale.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:40 AM   #17

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGeek View Post
Yep, been there! I even added a condition in the purchase contract that the dealer was to confirm proper balance and alignment. Upon delivery, he assumed I'd be so eager that I'd just pay and drive away, like at McDonald's drive-through. Not so.

We took a drive together and both were (way) off. I asked if he'd checked these items and (as Gomer Pyle says, "Surprise, surprise!") he said they missed that. (Excuse 9B in the RV salesperson's manual).

I got them both taken care of and THEN paid for the burgers.

Not all alignment issues result in pulling to one side or other readily apparent issues. It has to be checked out properly. Obviously loading your stiff won’t change the toe or probably the castor but I can see how it might affect the camber some. In any event, it’s STILL your responsibility to get it done whether you pay for it after delivery or you persuade the dealer to do it before. Personally I’d rather take it to a proper independent alignment shop and spend the $125 to have it checked. And if I’m going to do that I might as well get it loaded first. Whatever way works best for you is fine just really recommend you make sure it’s done.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #18

THOR #15962
After three alignments tire rotations numerous weight shift all to no avail FCCC said shim it up from 5.4 to 6.0 on right side. Ok. This worked. She steers straight. WOW. It's a miracle. A manufacturer problem not alignment.
Quote:
Not all alignment issues result in pulling to one side or other readily apparent issues. It has to be checked out properly. Obviously loading your stiff won’t change the toe or probably the castor but I can see how it might affect the camber some. In any event, it’s STILL your responsibility to get it done whether you pay for it after delivery or you persuade the dealer to do it before. Personally I’d rather take it to a proper independent alignment shop and spend the $125 to have it checked. And if I’m going to do that I might as well get it loaded first. Whatever way works best for you is fine just really recommend you make sure it’s done.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #19

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Anyone give a good camber setting for axis 25.2
Old 03-06-2020, 09:52 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie200 View Post
After three alignments tire rotations numerous weight shift all to no avail FCCC said shim it up from 5.4 to 6.0 on right side. Ok. This worked. She steers straight. WOW. It's a miracle. A manufacturer problem not alignment.
I assume that it would be +6.0 "degrees of caster" set on the right side.

By adding 0.6 degrees to make such a different to the driving experience just goes to show how important the caster settings can be.

It is a normal alignment practise to have the RH + caster slightly more then the LH + caster to fine tune for the crown of the highway.

For a complete story, it would be interesting to know the before and after alignment settings.