Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2021, 01:12 AM   #1
BC1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE
State: New York
THOR #20090
Tire filling, Valves, Compressor, TPMS

Hi everyone, Hope you are all doing well. I've been MIA for a while (really busy working). I'm sure parts of this have been discussed ad nauseum so please don't beat me up for posting this LOL.

Unlike the past ones, with my current MH I don't have a male helper LOL. I have everything else figured out except the filling tires nightmare. I really have to figure something out that works very easy for me for checking, filling tires myself quickly as first trip is coming up fast.

Even my front and outside dual tires are not at a great angle to fill but obviously not as bad as the inside duals (which are luckily a fairly straight shot through the outer wheel).

Last season (my 1st with this MH), I just bought some air chucks that sort of fit my tire valve situations. This year I am just going to remove the wheel simulators for the season which will help but even with that and the best angled chucks I could find I just can't get a great connection to check pressure and fill.

I don't want to bother with valve extenders or replacing tires with longer valves if I can avoid it so here's what I'm thinking. I'm going to take to a truck stop and see if they have better chucks for my situation and if not then I want to get flexible valve extenders just to use while filling - so I would put them on to fill up and check pressure easier then just remove them - Does that sound stupid?

I plan on getting a Viair 400P (not the RV one) unless someone wants to recommend a cheaper alternative that they like almost as much.

Once I get the filling/checking pressure part figured out I will get a TPMS (easiest set up/use one I can find even if it costs more as I don't want to be playing around with install, etc. - but I haven't looked into these much and never had them on previous MHs).

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the above. Thanks very much in advance.
Take care, Beth

Old 02-10-2021, 02:34 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Welcome back; you've been missed!
I like the idea of finding an air chuck with the proper angle. You're definitely looking for them in the right place.
Get the Viair: it'll be the last compressor you ever have to buy.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:43 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
A think you ought to look at the valve extenders. There are a couple that people have used and I believe one that even balances the air in your duals. My first motorhome did not have extenders and it was a bear to check the tires. But I was a lot younger then and was able to learn the tricks to the set up. Checking the air pressure was quick and easy. My last coach came with extenders, but they leaked and I removed them. My current coach has the extenders and it takes longer to get out the compressor than to check the pressures. As to TPMS, I don't have it installed on my coach. I check the tires before each trip and do a thump on them at each stop. I got a digital thermometer for Christmas and plan to use that in lieu of a tire thumper in the future.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:22 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NC...b_b_asin_title
I've given away all others. I'd buy a $200 guage and not bat an eye about it. No need, these do me well.(though, I would like a nice loud talking one)

There is very little wrong with valve core extensions.

https://www.amazon.com/Function-Infl...a-870223855333
The compressor you've chosen requires a very long and tangling extension cord and has no value above this battery operated unit for your usage. And the linked one blows up those handy inflatable couches, then sucks them flat as a pancake.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #5
BC1

THOR #20090
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Missed you too Bob and others!!

ducksface, if you have a chance can you let me know what gauge and compressor that was - the links didn't work for me : (

I do have a nice Bostitch pancake compressor at home so I really only need one for on road emergencies.

I might look at extenders/valve core extensions after this first big trip.

On a side note - I am so disappointed at the quality of some things on my 2018 Freedom Elite. Total crap materials, workmanship. Never had that with ANY of my other 6 RVs. I just noticed 3 exterior things totally fell apart (It has 4,000 miles on it!!!). Small molding at bottom of coach near BOTH chassis doors falling off. Stupid thick rubber strap holding up the generator exhaust pipe completely disintegrating. Factory mud flaps both hanging down. What the heck!!!

If I can get some time I want to post pictures of some past trips so I can remember the fun stuff and not all the maintenance/fixing crap parts of RVing LOL.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome back BC1. I installed valve extenders and it makes life so much easier to check and fill the rear dual tires. I do not have them on the front two since I can reach them with little effort. I check them before ever trip. I still have my wheel simulators on them with the valve extenders. If you are going to a truck stop, they will have exactly what you need to fill the dual rears.

Paul
Old 02-10-2021, 04:53 PM   #7

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Does your chick look like this?

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Compa...%2C227&sr=8-15
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51W9AM5qGWL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	28519  
Old 02-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #8

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
No.
Mine is much shorter, considerably wider, and has a lot more droop but she's just as hard and cold.
She also makes that same loud hissing noise if things aren't exactly aligned to her suiting.
And just like the one in the picture, mine has no guage or filter.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #9

THOR #13932
I don't know why links work for most and not for few.
Is it an iphone thing?
Unless there was a transcription error or missing page, I've never had a link not work on any of my devices in many many years.

Someone Will repost them for you in a format you can access.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Is it an iphone thing?
Unless there was a transcription error or missing page, I've never had a link not work on any of my decices in many many years.

Links worked fine on Android and windows 10 desktop

I do have the gauge you posted and it works well as others do if properly aligned and held firmly
Old 02-11-2021, 12:26 AM   #11
BC1

THOR #20090
I have a few chucks but yes, one looks like that. It "fits" sort of easy enough but it's just hard to get a good tight fit for reading and filling even with the wheel covers off. I think the truck stop will be able to help me get what I need somehow or another.

I'll have to try the links on my phone. I tried on my work and personal computer with no luck.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Alignment of the chuck and valve stem is 99% of the issue

You have to get eye level to get it right

Almost every dually chuck has the same offset angle

To air mine I use a Milton chuck with slide style gauge usually twice per year
Old 02-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #13

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Extenders & compressors

If you don't have any valve extenders you might want to consider these.

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Mel...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81gqb1L+i0L._AC_SX679_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	28525  
Old 02-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Milton

Hi Beth,
I had the same problem with my Greyhawk. I could see the valve stem for the inner dual but couldn't easily get to it. I solved the problem with a Milton 501 gage.
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #15

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Is it an iphone thing?
Unless there was a transcription error or missing page, I've never had a link not work on any of my devices in many many years.

YOU HAVE TO BE LOGGED IN FOR ALL LINKS TO WORK!
It all depends how the links are inserted in the post. If you just copy and past the link in, you must be logged in. e.g. from ducksface post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCX3H1G...b_b_asin_title

Now, put some text down, highlight it and then click "Insert Link", the post link will look like this Pressure Gauge it works logged in or not.
I have had this trouble for a long time cuz I do not log in until required and was told by forum staff it is done for "Google" tracking proposes...
Old 02-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #16
BC1

THOR #20090
Fairly new to this forum and that was indeed the problem. Thank you very much oldWEB!!! Half the time I log in and half not so I guess it was "not" when I tried links all those times LOL.

Thanks again everyone for the info. I'm slowly getting to my ideal tire filling situation

Take care, Beth
Old 02-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Freezing rain here right now Beth: be careful on your side of the river...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:09 PM   #18

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
YOU HAVE TO BE LOGGED IN FOR ALL LINKS TO WORK!
Looking at this now, I was not meaning to "shout" it was just to bring it out more. I get caught on this a lot. There are silly things that go on behind the forum and if not logged in the links do not work all the time. Some do... some don't, it is weird and I have asked the wizards here.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:47 PM   #19
BC1

THOR #20090
You guys are awesome. I'll tell you why in a minute, but BOB I just got back from your side of the river LOL!! (went to the 2 truck stops) You be safe too. My son works on your side and doesn't leave until 6:30 pm so I'll be happy when he gets home.

Anyway... You guys are great because after all my research, I came to the same conclusion on 3 items you all posted in this thread. I try to shop local first but no luck this time so... Amazon it is AGAIN. The Milton 501 that WarEagleDan posted should solve 3 of my issues. I am going to get an extender pack similar to the one adjbrtd posted just so I'll have them for now & may just use to fill air then take off. I think I'll just get longer valve stems next time I need tires and will keep the wheel covers off for now.

And my big purchase was similar to the compressor ducksface posted link for. I didn't realize they made an 18V rechargeable battery compressor. Very cool because I was hesitating on the Viair (but I'm sure it's a great unit) because it means hooking up to chassis and moving the unit with 2 cords connected. No cords with the Ryobi and no connecting to chassis. I went with the compressor instead of their 18V inflator/deflator even though it was a lot more $ (for a couple of reasons). I bought two Ryobi 4 Ah batteries and the Ryobi charger for them that plugs into cigarette lighter so I won’t need electric to charge batteries. One reason I went with the compressor instead of inflator was that it looked like the hose on the inflator was permanent and if it should break or if either end breaks I thought you would be out of luck. The compressor just has the push connect coupler and no cords so I hope to be able to just use the 5ft of hose that comes on the Milton 501 and skip a compressor hose for this purpose. I also got a coupler to connect the Milton to the compressor (probably got that wrong but will see). I'll let you all know how this set up works when I get my other pieces from Amazon.

I ALWAYS welcome feedback if something I say sounds stupid or just won't work - I don't get defensive or mean LOL. I'm used to getting constructive criticism on a daily basis from my crazy boss of 20 yrs. Take care, Beth
Old 02-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #20

THOR #13932
Now that you have ryobi 18v system.

My rv carries their 18v;
Square-ish 18v 3 gallon wet vac as a house vacuum.
Compact 18v flashlight
Impact wrench for lug nuts(I'll probably never change a tire myself, but all it takes is one tow-truck driver to not have the right tool)
400psi pressure washer.(not really pressure but it'll knock a bug off a windshield without needing a ladder. And you can run from gasoline to dish soap through it and it doesn't care)

At home I have their lawnmower and weed whacker and hedge trimmer and chainsaw and maybe 30 other tool types.