Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Alignment/Tire balance for Thor/Ford

Hi,
Just got a 2018 Freedom Elite and thought, after a 2000 mile trip, that it could handle better. Lots of addons etc available but I wondered if a good alignment and tire balance could help. According the the new Ford warranty book for the C class 26HE, "alignment and tire balance can be done within the first 12 months/12,000miles."...page 14.
I called today to check and it's not quite like this. This is covered under warranty ONLY IF there is a failure of a Ford part. Otherwise, you're on your own.
The gal at Ford told me that Ford will align/balance at the factory but when the box is dropped on, that can change. Then, Thor is SUPPOSED to realign after the box is in place and it's headed out the door.

BOTTOM LINE>>>>
SHE SAID THAT THEY ARE FINDING INCREASING INSTANCES OF HANDLING ISSUES WITH THOR ON NEW UNITS and Ford is "checking into" whether Thor is doing the final alignment or not. She mentioned that they are in contact with Thor on this issue.
So....if you're in this category, you might want to be heard on the Ford customer RV line at 800-444-3311. I asked if we as users would be updated and she mentioned that checking in with the forums would be a good avenue.
Again, the customer is in limbo between Ford and Thor.....if nothing comes from this, it might be something to think about on your next purchase or upgrade.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Hi,
Just got a 2018 Freedom Elite and thought, after a 2000 mile trip, that it could handle better. Lots of addons etc available but I wondered if a good alignment and tire balance could help. According the the new Ford warranty book for the C class 26HE, "alignment and tire balance can be done within the first 12 months/12,000miles."...page 14.
I called today to check and it's not quite like this. This is covered under warranty ONLY IF there is a failure of a Ford part. Otherwise, you're on your own.
The gal at Ford told me that Ford will align/balance at the factory but when the box is dropped on, that can change. Then, Thor is SUPPOSED to realign after the box is in place and it's headed out the door.

BOTTOM LINE>>>>
SHE SAID THAT THEY ARE FINDING INCREASING INSTANCES OF HANDLING ISSUES WITH THOR ON NEW UNITS and Ford is "checking into" whether Thor is doing the final alignment or not. She mentioned that they are in contact with Thor on this issue.
So....if you're in this category, you might want to be heard on the Ford customer RV line at 800-444-3311. I asked if we as users would be updated and she mentioned that checking in with the forums would be a good avenue.
Again, the customer is in limbo between Ford and Thor.....if nothing comes from this, it might be something to think about on your next purchase or upgrade.
Many threads and many comments are on this forum about alignments. We went through this when we bought our Axis almost two years ago. Way out of alignment, needed casters, etc... I was told by my RV service center that Thor did not do another alignment when the box was installed and I doubt many of the other RV manufacturers do either. I got Thor to give me $250 towards my cost to get it done. Yes, I would add this expectation to a new purchase if I bought new again.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Many threads and many comments are on this forum about alignments. We went through this when we bought our Axis almost two years ago. Way out of alignment, needed casters, etc... I was told by my RV service center that Thor did not do another alignment when the box was installed and I doubt many of the other RV manufacturers do either. I got Thor to give me $250 towards my cost to get it done. Yes, I would add this expectation to a new purchase if I bought new again.
The dealer paid for my alignment and it made a world of difference.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #4

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Thanks for the comment. it's not terrible with the handling but it just seems like I have to chase it around a bit. You made out alright though. I'm dealing with Camping World on the purchase...no one could come close to the deal but taking notes on their service because I told them we might look for an upgrade in the future and they're not the only show in town.....we're in FL.....tons of them closeby.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 AM   #5

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
The dealer paid for my alignment and it made a world of difference.
You did well. We're you dealing with a local dealer or chain?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We were strongly advised to get an alignment by our sales person upon purchase. In addition there was two stickers inside the coach also indicating that an alignment was required.

There wasn't any doubt in our mind that an alignment was required.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:36 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I had mine checked and it was spot on as delivered. It always has handled fine and I’m sure that’s part of the reason. Cost me $125 to find out I didn’t have a problem! Still, I’d recommend all new owners get it checked. More power to you if you can get Thor to pay for it.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:13 AM   #8

Model: thor 22FE
State: Georgia
THOR #3371
The ford dealer can also tighten the steering box when they do the alignment. It does make a big difference.
Patrick
Old 12-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We were strongly advised to get an alignment by our sales person upon purchase. In addition there was two stickers inside the coach also indicating that an alignment was required.

There wasn't any doubt in our mind that an alignment was required.

Correct. Here's the sticker that was attached to the wall on the left side of the driver's seat. I had my alignment checked after it was fully loaded, and no adjustment was needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170124_101751 - Copy.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	8095  
Old 12-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #10

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post
The ford dealer can also tighten the steering box when they do the alignment. It does make a big difference.
Patrick
The gal did say that they could line up hte steering wheel if it was off. I don't think that's the same as the steering box though.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #11

THOR #3371
What I did was find the mechanic shop close to a major airport that does all the hotel vans. The e350 and e450. They will do it and at minimal cost. They also do my oil changes at 49.00 for class c. Ford did my front end alignment for 149.00. The other place charges 69.00. Usually they will have bays up to 13 feet.
Patrick
Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #12

THOR #9033
Quote:
What I did was find the mechanic shop close to a major airport that does all the hotel vans. The e350 and e450. They will do it and at minimal cost. They also do my oil changes at 49.00 for class c. Ford did my front end alignment for 149.00. The other place charges 69.00. Usually they will have bays up to 13 feet.
Patrick
I'll have to check around. We don't have major airports closeby but what a deal you got.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #13

THOR #3371
For the record. If any class c owner wants great service from experienced mechanics and you passing thru Atlanta I highly recommend Benefield automotive for your e350 or e450 ford. No appointment required first come first served. Excellent prices. AAA approved.
Patrick
Old 12-06-2017, 01:02 AM   #14

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Josams in Orlando are the alignment pros in central Florida. Our Vegas needed significant adjustment.

Load your coach like you will for travel for best results. Haven't heard of new vehicles needing the tires balanced, doubt you are the exception.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 AM   #15

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Shortly after taking delivery of our new 2017 Miramar I had it aligned. It had 26mm of tow out. It was worth every bit of the 165 I paid to get it done. I should at least call and ask for a reimbursement.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:49 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
I considered it, but after installing Sumo springs I believe mine handles as good as it ever will. Literally one finger down the road even when trucks pass the opposite way.
My dealer has their own alignment rack, but as I recall they charge $250 for 2 axles, and $299 for three.
If I felt it was necessary, I would not hesitate to take it to them as their Service Dept. is great.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #17

THOR #7301
I owned a 15 Freedom Elite 28H for a couple of years. When I first got it you couldn't keep it on the road above 50 mph. No help from Camping World or Ford. Took it to another local rv dealer. They installed a camber kit and completed an alignment. After that it handled very well for the next 27k miles. Sold it recently and bought an Allegro.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:22 AM   #18

Model: ACE
THOR #9143
Smile

Alignment/Tire balance for Thor/Ford, is what happened to our coach before it was delivered.
This was due to a bad "hick" I'll call it. Every few seconds, the wheel would click to the left and back. This was during the test drive.
As we started to close on the deal we stated we needed something checked and corrected before closing. They sent it to the tire shop CW used and I was told they did an alignment on the front and replaced both front tires due to them being out of round. Now we have a shimmy that feels like it's coming from the back of the coach between 40 - 50 mph. CW has already said they are not responsible and said to call Ford. The THOR region Director is helping to locate a Ford dealer that can help. My guess is, Ford is not going to help either. I will prob have to eat this cost but need to get rid of the shimmy.

I also need to have the steering box someone mentioned tightened a bit. I have to much free movement in the wheel. It's drivable but if this can be corrected that would be great.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #19

THOR #9033
Quote:
For the record. If any class c owner wants great service from experienced mechanics and you passing thru Atlanta I highly recommend Benefield automotive for your e350 or e450 ford. No appointment required first come first served. Excellent prices. AAA approved.
Patrick
Almost worth the trip
Old 12-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #20

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
Alignment/Tire balance for Thor/Ford, is what happened to our coach before it was delivered.
This was due to a bad "hick" I'll call it. Every few seconds, the wheel would click to the left and back. This was during the test drive.
As we started to close on the deal we stated we needed something checked and corrected before closing. They sent it to the tire shop CW used and I was told they did an alignment on the front and replaced both front tires due to them being out of round. Now we have a shimmy that feels like it's coming from the back of the coach between 40 - 50 mph. CW has already said they are not responsible and said to call Ford. The THOR region Director is helping to locate a Ford dealer that can help. My guess is, Ford is not going to help either. I will prob have to eat this cost but need to get rid of the shimmy.

I also need to have the steering box someone mentioned tightened a bit. I have to much free movement in the wheel. It's drivable but if this can be corrected that would be great.
I'm glad I have nothing like this but good luck with it. And like you said, you're the man in the middle and that's not good. In computers, the software people blame the hardware people and visa versa and the user gets no where. Hardly the expense of an RV though...Good luck and let us know how you do.