Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
All 2016 Axis/Vegas/ACE owners -Help!

The charging system on my 2016 Axis is not charging the chassis battery when the generator is turned on or the coach is plugged into shore power. When the engine is running, both battery banks will charge. Is anyone experiencing the same thing or does you chassis battery charge when you run your generator or are on shore power as it did in my 2014 Vegas? In the 2016 model Thor has changed the part (BIRD) that allows both battery banks to be charged at the same time. Thank you for your help.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
Is there an easy way to test this? I'll be glad to but can't think of how.
Hendersonville, NC
billnagle6900@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnagle6900@gmail.com
Is there an easy way to test this? I'll be glad to but can't think of how.
The easiest way to do so would be to hook up a voltmeter to the chassis battery and then observe the voltage under various conditions (12V = not being charged, 13V+ = charging).
  • Unplugged, genny off, engine running
  • Unplugged, genny running, engine off
  • Plugged in, genny off, engine off
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Keep in mind, the BIRD is designed to charge the chassis battery when connected to generator or shore power only if there is a minimal load on the house batteries. If there is a load on the house batteries the BIRD will isolate the chassis battery so it is not being charged.

For you folks with a 2014 or 2015 coach, what is the part number on the BIRD installed on your coach. Is it an Intellitec 00-000956-000?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Dave - that is interesting and good info
Old 03-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #6

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The easiest way to do so would be to hook up a voltmeter to the chassis battery and then observe the voltage under various conditions (12V = not being charged, 13V+ = charging).
  • Unplugged, genny off, engine running
  • Unplugged, genny running, engine off
  • Plugged in, genny off, engine off
That's right. An easy way to do that is to attach the red (positive end of the volt meter to one side of the Trombetta (located in the right front part of the engine compartment- see picture) and the negative end on any nearby unpainted bolt head. The two big red wires lead to the chassis battery and the coach batteries. With the coach plugged into shore power, read the voltage off of both posts - one at a time. If you get the same voltage, shore power/generator are charging both batteries. If you get different voltage, they are only charging the house batteries. After turning on shore power or the generator, you have to wait for the house batteries to charge above 12.6v before the Trombetta closes to charge the chassis battery. So wait a while to take the measurements after plugging the coach in. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1548  
Old 03-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #7

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Keep in mind, the BIRD is designed to charge the chassis battery when connected to generator or shore power only is there is a minimal load on the house batteries. If there is a load on the house batteries the BIRD will isolate the chassis battery so it is not being charged.

For you folks with a 2014 or 215 coach, what is the part number on the BIRD installed on your coach. Is it an Intellitec 00-000956-000?
I believe it was 00-00362-100 on my 2014 Vegas. That is the "unpotted" BIRD. The 956 is the potted version. I let my coach batteries charge for several hours to see if the BIRD ever closed the Trombetta. It never did, either on shore power or generator.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #8

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
THOR #3836
charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The charging system on my 2016 Axis is not charging the chassis battery when the generator is turned on or the coach is plugged into shore power. When the engine is running, both battery banks will charge. Is anyone experiencing the same thing or does you chassis battery charge when you run your generator or are on shore power as it did in my 2014 Vegas? In the 2016 model Thor has changed the part (BIRD) that allows both battery banks to be charged at the same time. Thank you for your help.
I had the same problem. I contacted thor customer service and they said the kill switch for motorhome storage has to be on when charging the batteries, either by shore power or generator . that's the switch located by the coach door. it charges fine now and when I leave the coach for storage I turn the switch off.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #9

THOR #1765
Thanks. I only wish it were that simple...��