Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
All dash instruments suddenly died

Hello, On my 2014 Thor Palazzo all of my dash instruments suddenly died. The ammeter, tachometer, speedometer, gas gauge and PSI dials all stay at zero. The warning lights all come on as they should. The fuses are intact. It's like a computer chip froze. Can it be rebooted in some way? Removing the fuse did not work.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
You may have to remove a lead from the battery to force a computer reboot.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Or check for a loose connection. If it was a computer problem the engine would probably be dead as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #4

THOR #8078
I'll try getting in the dash and unplugging the entire instrument cluster from the power supply. The RV starts and runs normally though the instruments do not show RPM, oil pressure, temperature, etc. Transmission shifter indication is normal as are all warning lights.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:36 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
if you can get the back of the cluster off, see if the black chips get hot. plug it in turn it on and let it sit about a minute.

best way would be to look at it with a thermal camera but not every one has one. carefully feel each black chip. they will be eather cool to burning hot (as in cant put your finger on it more than a second.) if you have a burning chip that could be the reason.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:02 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Everything is networked these days; could be a single CAN signal cable loose or disconnected would kill the whole dash.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #11737
Not an RV, but we had a similar issue in our Tundra. Cruise would kick off at random, cluster lights would go off, and gauges would all drop to zero.

Our mechanic said we had to have a loose or corroded ground connection somewhere. Turns out that the cable on the negative post was very slightly loose, with a little corrosion beneath it. We cleaned both terminals and tightened them. Seems to have done the trick. He said that there could be other ground connections to the frame as well - we just got lucky that ours was in an easily accessible place.

Probably not at all what is wrong with yours, but something else to check if everything else turns into a dead end.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:51 AM   #8

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Not an RV, but we had a similar issue in our Tundra. Cruise would kick off at random, cluster lights would go off, and gauges would all drop to zero.

Our mechanic said we had to have a loose or corroded ground connection somewhere. Turns out that the cable on the negative post was very slightly loose, with a little corrosion beneath it. We cleaned both terminals and tightened them. Seems to have done the trick. He said that there could be other ground connections to the frame as well - we just got lucky that ours was in an easily accessible place.

Probably not at all what is wrong with yours, but something else to check if everything else turns into a dead end.
Yeah, the Engine has a ground and the frame has a ground. Used to be the engine mounts were the ground to frame but long time ago when I was in my first car, the engine started but there was no dash lights to see the speedo. Got that fixed before my next speeding ticket.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #9

THOR #8078
Update- I checked all the connections and did not find anything loose. After recharging and equalizing the house batteries I restarted the coach and magically the gauges all work again. Next time I'll find an old priest and try an exorcism.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #10

THOR #8078
Intermittent instrument cluster malfunction

After months of losing my dash instruments intermittently, it became permanent. I called the Freightliner rep and he did a valiant job of helping me work through the problem. We tested the dash warning light bar computer console by pushing the computer toggle switch to the right and holding for 5 seconds. This activates a diagnostic menu. It showed none of my instruments were receiving a computer signal from the dash computer. I bought a new warning light bar/dash computer - expensive. Bad news - the instruments worked, but not consistently. The idiot lights all work, the odometer works, but instruments only on and off. Then I had an idea. I disconnected the wiring harness from the output side of the warning light bar/dash computer, removed one of the daisy chain wires that connects one instrument to the next, and reconnected this new wire so that it went from the computer to the tachometer. Viola - it worked the tach. Did the same to the fuel gauge - it worked. It turns out the wiring harness that ran from the computer to the instruments had a short. I replaced the harness and so far so good.